Se alguém bater um dia à tua porta,
Dizendo que é um emissário meu,
Não acredites, nem que seja eu;
Que o meu vaidoso orgulho não comporta
Bater sequer à porta irreal do céu.
Mas se, naturalmente, e sem ouvir
Alguém bater, fores a porta abrir
E encontrares alguém como que à espera
De ousar bater, medita um pouco. Esse era
Meu emissário e eu e o que comporta
O meu orgulho que já desespera.
Abre a quem não bater à tua porta!
in Obra Essencial de Fernando Pessoa - Poesia do Eu - edição Richard Zenith - Assírio & Alvim
FERNANDO António Nogueira PESSOA, nasceu a 13 de Junho de 1888 e faleceu em Lisboa a 30 de Novembro de 1935.
Ler, neste blog, do mesmo autor:
Dá a surpresa de ser
Deus Sabe Melhor Do Que Eu
Suspense / Ansiedade
Não Quero Recordar Nem Conhecer-me (Ricardo Reis)
Intervalo - Bernardo Soares
O guardador de rebanhos - X (Alberto Caeiro)
O guardador de rebanhos - XXI (Alberto Caeiro)
O guardador de rebanhos - XXVIII (Alberto Caeiro)
O Tejo é mais belo ...
Não sei se é sonho se é realidade
Odes - Ricardo Reis
Cruz na porta da tabacaria
Fragmentos do Livro do desassossego - Bernardo Soares
Afinal a melhor maneira de viajar é sentir...
Todas as cartas de amor são...
Se te queres matar ...
Dai-me rosas e lírios...
Sou vil, sou reles como toda a gente...
Não sei se é amor que tens
O que há em mim é sobretudo cansaço
Ode marcial - h
Lycanthropy My Love And Not I Is The Egoist
Para além da curva da estrada (Alberto Caeiro)
Sopra demais o vento
Poema da Canção sobre a Esperança
Soneto 1 de 35 sonetos (Poesia Inglesa) - em português
Sonnet 1 (from 35 Sonnets)
O amor é uma companhia
Quando vier a Primavera (Alberto Caeiro)
À luz das noites serenas
A capela de açucenas
Te envolve em lúcido véu!
Ao meigo clarão da lua
És a imagem que flutua
No puro ambiente do céu!
E os ternos suspiros soltos,
E os teus cabelos revoltos
Ao sabor da viração,
Perpassam brandos na mente
Como as brisas do poente
Na cratera do vulcão!
Ó santa imagem querida,
Como és bela adormecida!
Que mistério em teu palor!
Que doçura no teu canto,
E que perfume tão santo
Nas tuas cismas d'amor!
Deixa cair uma rosa
Da tua fronte mimosa,
Da vida no turvo mar!
Descerra-me o paraíso
Que no teu fugaz sorriso
Nos faz viver e sonhar!
Guilherme Avelino de Azevedo Chaves nasceu em Santarém a 30 de Novembro de 1840 e morreu em Paris a 6 de Abril de 1882.
Do mesmo autor, neste blog, ler:
Nome Muito Próprio
Em Nome do Silêncio
- 30 BC - Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator dies.
- 0539 - Gregory of Tours was born (d. 0594). French bishop and historian.
- 1016 - Edmund II of England dies.
- 1340 - John, Duke of Berry was born (d. 1416). Son of John II of France.
- 1364 - John FitzAlan, 2nd Baron Arundel was born (d. 1390). English soldier.
- 1466 - Andrea Doria was born (d. 1560). Italian naval leader.
- 1498 - Andrés de Urdaneta was born (d. 1568). Spanish Augustinian friar, sail-captain and explorer.
- 1508 - Andrea Palladio was born (d. 1580). Italian architect.
- 1554 - Philip Sidney was born (d. 1586). English courtier, soldier, and writer.
- 1580 - Richard Farrant dies. English composer.
- 1594 - John Cosin was born (d. 1672). English clergyman.
- 1603 - William Gilbert died (born 24 May 1544). English scientist, the "father of electrical studies" and a pioneer researcher into magnetism, who spent years investigating magnetic and electrical attractions.
- 1625 - Jean Domat was born (d. 1696). French jurist.
- 1626 - Thomas Weelkes dies. English composer.
- 1637 - Louis-Sébastien Le Nain de Tillemont was born (d. 1698). French historian.
- 1654 - John Selden dies (b. 1584). English jurist and oriental scholar.
- 1667 - Jonathan Swift was born (d. 1745). Irish writer and satirist.
- 1670 - John Toland was born (d. 1722). Irish philosopher.
- 1675 - Cæcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore dies (b. 1605). Governor of Maryland.
- 1683 - Ludwig Andreas Graf Khevenhüller was born (d. 1744). Austrian field marshal.
- 1700 - Battle of Narva — A Swedish army of 8,500 men under Charles XII defeats a much larger Russian army at Narva.
- 1703 - Nicolas de Grigny dies (b. 1672). French organist and composer.
- 1705 - Catherine of Braganza dies (b. 1638). Wife of Charles II of England.
- 1718 - King Charles XII of Sweden (b. 1682) dies killed during a siege of the fortress of Fredriksten, east of Oslo Fjord, ending Sweden's “Age of Greatness.”
- 1719 - Augusta of Saxe-Gotha was born (d. 1772). Princess of Wales.
- 1722 - Theodore Gardelle was born (d. 1761). Swiss painter and enameler.
- 1723 - William Livingston was born (d. 1790). Revolutionary Governor of New Jersey.
- 1756 - Ernst Chladni was born (d. 1827). German physicist.
- 1761 - John Dollond dies (b. 1706). British optician.
- 1765 - George Glas dies (b. 1725). British merchant and adventurer
- 1768 - Jędrzej Śniadecki was born (d. 1837). Polish writer, physician, chemist and biologist
- 1781 - Alexander Berry was born (d. 1873). British adventurer.
- 1796 - Carl Loewe was born (d. 1869). German composer.
- 1810 - Oliver Winchester was born (d. 1880). American gunsmith.
- 1813 - Louise-Victorine Ackermann was born (d. 1890). French poet.
- 1813 - Charles-Valentin Alkan was born (d. 1888). French composer.
- 1824 - First ground is broken at Allenburg for the building of the original Welland Canal.
- 1829 - First Welland Canal opens for a trial run, 5 years to the day of the sod turning.
- 1830 - Pope Pius VIII dies (b. 1761).
- 1835 - Mark Twain [Samuel Langhorn Clemens] was born in Florida (d. 1910). American writer (The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Life on the Mississippi, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn).
- 1836 - Lord Frederick Cavendish was born (d. 1882). British politician.
- 1839 - Guilherme de Azevedo was born in Santarém (d. 1882). Portuguese writer.
- 1840 - Henry Birks was born (d. 1928). Canadian businessman.
- 1847 - Afonso Augusto Moreira Pena was born (d. 1909). 7th President of Brazil.
- 1857 - José de Sampaio Bruno was born. Portuguese essayst and politician.
- 1857 - Bobby Abel was born (d. 1936). English test cricketer.
- 1858 - Jagdish Chandra Bose was born (d. 1937). Indian physicist.
- 1863 - Andres Bonifacio was born (d. 1897). Head of the Philippine Revolutionary Movement Katipunan (KKK).
- 1870 - Princess Henriette, Duchess of Vendôme and Alençon was born (d. 1948).
- 1872 - The first-ever international football match takes place at Hamilton Crescent, Glasgow, between Scotland and England (0-0).
- 1874 - Lucy Maud Montgomery was born (d. 1942). Canadian author.
- 1886 - The Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- 1891 - Pope Leo XIII's encyclical "Rerum novarum" published.
- 1898 - Firpo Marberry was born (d. 1976). American baseball player.
- 1900 - Oscar Wilde dies in Paris (b. 1854). Irish writer.
- 1901 - Edward John Eyre dies (b. 1815). British explorer.
- 1904 - Clyfford Still was born (d. 1980). American painter.
- 1906 - Andrés Henestrosa was born (d. 2008). Mexican writer.
- 1907 - Jacques Barzun was born. French-born historian and author.
- 1908 - A mine explosion in the mining town of Marianna, Pennsylvania killed 154.
- 1909 - Robert Nighthawk was born (d. 1967). American musician.
- 1911 - Jorge Negrete was born (d. 1953). Mexican singer and actor.
- 1912 - Gordon Parks was born. American director and writer.
- 1915 - Brownie McGhee was born (d. 1996). American blues musician.
- 1918 - Denmark recognizes Iceland as an independent kingdom. Learn more about Iceland.
- 1918 - Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was born. American actor.
- 1920 - Virginia Mayo was born (d. 2005). American actress.
- 1920 - Vladimir May-Mayevsky dies (b. 1867). Russian counter-revolutionary.
- 1924 - Shirley Chisholm was born. American politician.
- 1924 - Allan Sherman was born (d. 1973). American comedian.
- 1924 - Elliott Blackstone was born (d. 2006). American gay and lesbian rights supporter.
- 1924 - Shirley Chisholm was born (d. 2005). American politician, United States Representatives from New York.
- 1926 - Richard Crenna was born (d. 2003). American actor.
- 1927 - Robert Guillaume was born. American actor.
- 1928 - Joe B. Hall was born. American basketball coach.
- 1929 - Dick Clark was born. American television host.
- 1929 - Joan Ganz Cooney was born. American children's television pioneer.
- 1930 - G. Gordon Liddy was born. Watergate operative.
- 1931 - Jack Ging was born. American actor.
- 1931 - Bill Walsh was born. American football coach.
- 1932 - Bob Moore was born. American bassist and orchestra leader.
- 1933 - Norman Deeley was born (d. 2007). English footballer.
- 1933 - Sir Arthur Currie dies (b. 1875). Canadian general.
- 1934 - The steam locomotive Flying Scotsman becomes the first to officially exceed 100mph.
- 1934 - Hélène Boucher was born (d. 1908). French aviatrix.
- 1935 - Fernando Pessoa dies in Lisbon (b. 13 Jun 1888). Portuguese poet. He used several heteronimous: Bernardo Soares, Alberto Caeiro, Ricardo Reis and Álvaro de Campos.
- 1936 - Abbie Hoffman was born (d. 1989). American activist.
- 1936 - Dmitri Victorovich Anosov was born. Russian mathematician.
- 1937 - Adeline Yen Mah was born. Chinese writer.
- 1937 - Frank Ifield was born. Australian/British singer.
- 1937 - Ridley Scott was born. British film director.
- 1937 - Tom Simpson was born (d. 1967). British cyclist.
- 1938 - Jean Eustache was born. French filmmaker.
- 1943 - Terrence Malick was born. American screenwriter and producer.
- 1943 - Etty Hillesum dies executed (b. 1914). Dutch diarist.
- 1945 - Radu Lupu was born. Romanian concert pianist.
- 1947 - David Mamet was born. American playwright.
- 1947 - Sergio Badilla Castillo was born. Chilean poet.
- 1950 -Chris Claremont was born. British comic book writer.
- 1951 - Christian Bernard was born. Mystic.
- 1951 - June Chadwick was born. British actress.
- 1952 - Keith Giffen was born. American comic book writer and artist.
- 1952 - Mandy Patinkin was born. American actor and singer.
- 1953 - Francis Picabia dies (b. 1857). French painter and poet.
- 1954 - Wilhelm Furtwängler dies (b. 1886). German conductor.
- 1955 - Kevin Conroy was born. American Actor (Batman in the DC animated universe).
- 1955 - Billy Idol was born. British musician.
- 1955 - Gordon Liu was born. Chinese actor.
- 1955 - Richard Burr was born. American politician.
- 1955 - Muricy Ramalho was born. Brazilian manager and former football player.
- 1955 - Josip Solcer-Slavenski dies (b. 1896). Croatian composer.
- 1957 - John Ashton was born. English guitarist (Psychedelic Furs).
- 1957 - Richard Barbieri was born. British keyboardist (Porcupine Tree).
- 1957 - Andrew Calhoun was born. American musician.
- 1957 - Joël Champetier was born. French Canadian author.
- 1957 - Colin Mochrie was born. British-born Canadian comedian.
- 1957 - Assassination attempt on Indonesian president Sukarno, kills 8.
- 1957 - Beniamino Gigli dies (b. 1890). Italian tenor.
- 1958 - Juliette Bergmann was born. Dutch bodybuilder.
- 1958 - Stacey Q was born. American dance-pop singer.
- 1958 - Hubert Wilkins dies (b. 1888). Australian polar explorer.
- 1959 - Lorraine Kelly was born. British presenter and journalist.
- 1960 - Rich Fields was born. TV personality.
- 1960 - Production of the De Soto automobile brand ceases.
- 1962 - Bo Jackson was born. American football and baseball player.
- 1962 - Daniel Keys Moran was born. American writer.
- 1964 - The University of Patras is inaugurated.
- 1964 - Jushin Liger was born. Japanese professional wrestler.
- 1964 - Michael Cudlitz ws born. American actor.
- 1965 - Ben Stiller was born. American actor and writer.
- 1965 - Lee Klein was born. American writer.
- 1965 - Prince Akishino of Japan was born.
- 1966 - Ed Kemper was born.American actor.
- 1966 - Wil Mara was born. American author.
- 1966 - David Nicholls was born.English novelist and screenwriter.
- 1966 - Mika Salo was born. Finnish Formula 1 Driver.
- 1967 - The People's Republic of South Yemen becomes independent from the United Kingdom.
- 1967 - Patrick Kavanagh dies (b. 1904). Irish poet.
- 1968 - Des'ree was born. British soul/pop singer.
- 1968 - Laurent Jalabert was born. French cyclist.
- 1969 - Amy Ryan was born. American actress.
- 1969 - Marc Goossens was born. Belgian racing driver.
- 1970 - Robert Griffith was born. American football player.
- 1971 - Ray Durham was born. American baseball player.
- 1972 - Vietnam War: White House Press Secretary Ron Ziegler tells the press that there will be no more public announcements concerning American troop withdrawals from Vietnam due to the fact that troop levels are now down to 27,000.
- 1972 - Abel Xavier was born. Portuguese international footballer.
- 1972 - Christopher Fitzgerald was born. American stage actor.
- 1973 - Jason Reso was born. Canadian professional wrestler.
- 1973 - John Moyer was born. American bassist (Disturbed).
- 1973 - Lim Chang-jung was born. South Korean actor.
- 1974 - Lucy (Australopithecus) was discovered by Donald Johanson, Maurice Taieb, Yves Coppens and Tim White in the Middle Awash of Ethiopia's Afar Depression.
- 1975 - Ben Thatcher was born. Welsh international football player.
- 1975 - Mindy McCready was born. American musican.
- 1976 - Cypher Zero was born. American circus innovator (New York Circus Arts).
- 1976 - Josh Lewsey was born. England national and London Wasps Rugby union player.
- 1977 - Sophia de Mello Breyner, Portuguese poet is laureate with The Teixeira de Pascoaes Prize.
- 1977 - Iván Guerrero wa born. Honduran footballer.
- 1977 - Kazumi Saitoh was born. Japanese baseball player.
- 1977 - Olivier Schoenfelder was born. French ice dancer.
- 1977 - Terrence Rattigan dies (b, 1911). British writer and playwright.
- 1978 - Clay Aiken was born. American singer.
- 1978 - Emil Steiner was born. American writer.
- 1978 - Gael García Bernal was born. Mexican actor.
- 1978 - Emil Steiner was born. American writer.
- 1979 - Andrés Nocioni was born. Argentine basketball player.
- 1979 - Chris Atkinson was born. Australian rally driver.
- 1979 - Dania Ramírez was born. Dominican actress.
- 1980 - Jamie Ashdown was born. English footballer.
- 1981 - Rich Harden was born. Canadian baseball player.
- 1982 - Elisha Cuthbert was born. Canadian actress.
- 1982 - Jason Pominville was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1982 - Clémence Poésy was born. French actress.
- 1982 - Tony Giarratano was born. American baseball player.
- 1983 - Adrian Cristea was born. Romanian footballer.
- 1983 - Andy Akinwolere was born. English television presenter.
- 1984 - Nigel de Jong was born. Dutch footballer.
- 1984 - Alan Hutton was born. Scottish footballer.
- 1984 - Naima Mora was born in Detroit. American model.
- 1984 - Nigel de Jong was born. Dutch football player.
- 1984 - Omahyra Mota was born. Dominican model/actress
- 1984 - Francisco Sandaza was born. Spanish footballer.
- 1985 - Kaley Cuoco was born. American actress.
- 1986 - Jordan Farmar was born. American basketball player.
- 1987 - Vasilisa Bardina was born. Russian tennis player.
- 1987 - Simon Carmiggelt dies (b. 1913). Dutch journalist and writer.
- 1988 - Eduardo Lourenço, Portuguese essayist, wins the 1988 Charles Veillon Essay Prize.
- 1988 - Henrique Medina dies. Portuguese painter.
- 1989 - Deutsche Bank board member Alfred Herrhausen (b. 1930) is murdered by a Red Army Faction terrorist bomb.
- 1989 - Chanel Iman was born. American supermodel.
- 1989 - Margaret Nales Wilson was born. Filipino model.
- 1989 - Daisy Rebecca Evans was born. Musician.
- 1989 - Carlos Alexandre dies (b. 1957). Brazilian singer and composer.
- 1989 - India president Rajiv Gandhi, resigns.
- 1990 - Portugal: The last number of the newspaper " Diário de Lisboa" ( founded in 7 Apr 1921) is published.
- 1990 - Antoine N'Gossan was born. Ivory Coast footballer.
- 1990 - Magnus Carlsen was born. Norwegian chess player.
- 1993 - Yuuri Chinen was born. Japanese actor and singer.
- 1993 - Sebastian Kappen dies (b. 1924). Indian theologian.
- 1993 - David Houston dies (b. 1938). American country music singer.
- 1994 - Hip-hop artist Tupac Shakur is robbed of $40,000 in jewelry and survives being shot five times in a New York music studio.
- 1994 - Nyjah Huston was born. Skateboarder.
- 1994 - Guy Debord dies (b. 1931). French writyer and filmmaker.
- 1994 - Harry Saltzman dies (b. 1915). American film producer.
- 1994 - Lionel Stander dies (b. 1908). American actor.
- 1995 - Official end of Operation Desert Storm.
- 1995 - Fernando Assis Pacheco dies (b. 1937). Portuguese journalist and writer.
- 1995 - Randy Walker (AKA Stretch) dies (b. 1972). American musician.
- 1996 - Tiny Tim dies (b. 1932). American entertainer.
- 1997 - Diana Almeida, 14 years old, Portuguese model, wins the Super Model of the World.
- 1997 - Kathy Acker dies (b. 1947). American author
- 1997 - Randy Walker (AKA Stretch) dies (b. 1972). American musician.
- 1999 - Charlie Byrd dies (b. 1925). American jazz guitarist.
- 2001 - Robert Tools, the first person in the world to receive a fully self-contained artificial heart, died in Louisville, Ky.; he had lived with the device for 151 days.
- 2002 - Tim Woods dies (b. 1934). American professional wrestler.
- 2003 - Gertrude Ederle dies (b. 1906). American swimmer.
- 2004 - Portuguese President, Jorge Sampaio, announces the decision to dissolve The Republic Assembly falling the Santana Lopes' government.
- 2004 - Pierre Berton dies (b. 1920). Canadian author.
- 2005 - Jean Parker dies (b. 1915). American actress.
- 2006 - Elhadi Adam was born (d. 1927). Sudanese poet and lyricist.
- 2006 - Rafael Buenaventura dies (b. 1938). Former BSP Governor.
- 2007 - Hillary Clinton presidential campaign office hostage crisis: Leeland Eisenberg entered the campaign office of Hillary Clinton in Rochester, New Hampshire with a device suspected of being a bomb and held three people hostage for 5 hours.
- 2007 - Engin Arık dies (b. 1948). Turkish nuclear physicist.
- 2007 - Evel Knievel dies (b. 1938) American motorcycle daredevil.
- 2008– Munetaka Higuchi dies (b. 1958). Japanese drummer (Loudness).
- Barbados - Independence Day (from Britain, 1966) .
- Official End of the Hurricane Season.
- Portugal: Feriado Municipal em Mesão Frio / Portugal: Municipal hollyday in Mesão Frio
O mar vagueia onduloso sob os meus pensamentos.
A memória bravia lança o leme:
Recordar é preciso.
O movimento de vaivém nas águas-lembranças
dos meus marejados olhos transborda-me a vida,
salgando-me o rosto e o gosto. Sou eternamente náufraga.
Mas os fundos oceanos não me amedrontam nem me imobilizam.
Uma paixão profunda é a bóia que me emerge.
Sei que o mistério subsiste além das águas.
Conceição Evaristo (nasceu em Belo Horizonte, em 29 novembro de 1946).
- 0741 - Pope Gregory III dies.
- 1223 - Franciscan Order Recognised.
- 1268 - Pope Clement IV dies.
- 1314 - King Philip IV of France dies (b. 1268).
- 1330 - Roger de Mortimer, 1st Earl of March dies (b. 1287). De facto ruler of England.
- 1342 - Michael of Cesena dies (b. 1270). Italian Franciscan leader.
- 1378 - Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor dies (b. 1316).
- 1427 - Zhengtong was born (d. 1464). Emperor of China.
- 1484 - Joachim Vadian was born (d. 1551). Swiss humanist.
- 1577 - Cuthbert Mayne dies (b. 1543). English saint.
- 1590 - Philipp Nikodemus Frischlin dies (b. 1547). German philologist and poet.
- 1595 - Alonso de Ercilla y Zúñiga dies (b. 1533). Basque soldier and poet.
- 1626 - Ernst, Graf von Mansfield dies. German soldier
- 1627 - John Ray was born (d. 1705). English naturalist.
- 1632 - Frederick V, Elector Palatine dies (b. 1596)
- 1643 - William Cartwright dies (b. 1611). English dramatist.
- 1643 - Claudio Monteverdi dies (b. 1567). Italian composer.
- 1646 - Laurentius Paulinus Gothus dies (b. 1565). Swedish theologian and astronomer.
- 1661 - Brian Walton dies (b. 1600). English clergyman and scholar.
- 1694 - Marcello Malpighi dies (b. 1628). Italian physician.
- 1695 - James Dalrymple, 1st Viscount Stair dies (b. 1619). Scottish lawyer and statesman.
- 1699 - Patrick Gordon dies (b. 1635). Scottish general.
- 1752 - Jemima Wilkinson was born (d. 1819). American preacher.
- 1759 - Nicolaus I Bernoulli dies (b. 1687). Swiss mathematician.
- 1762 - Pierre-Andre Latreille was born (d. 1833). French zoologist.
- 1780 - Empress Maria Theresa of Austria dies (b. 1717).
- 1781 - The crew of the slave ship Zong murders 133 Africans dumping them into the sea in order to claim insurance.
- 1781 - Andrés Bello was born in Caracas (d. 1865). Venezuelan poet, lawmaker, teacher, philosopher and sociologist.
- 1797 - Gaetano Donizetti was born (d. 1848). Italian composer.
- 1797 - Samuel Langdon dies (b. 1723). American President of Harvard University.
- 1799 - Amos Bronson Alcott was born (d. 1888). American writer and educator.
- 1803 - Christian Doppler was born (d.1853). Austrian physicist.
- 1803 - Gottfried Semper was born (d. 1879). German architect.
- 1813 - Franz von Miklosich was born (d. 1891). Slovenian linguist.
- 1825 - Jean-Martin Charcot was born (d. 1893). French neurologist.
- 1825 - Latino Coelho was born in Lisbon (d. 29 Aug 1891). Portuguese journalist, politician and historian.
- 1832 - Louisa May Alcott was born (d. 1888). American writer, known for her children's books, especially Little Women.
- 1847 - Marcus Whitman dies (b. 1802). Washington state pioneer.
- 1849 - Sir John Ambrose Fleming was born (d. 1945). American physicist.
- 1874 - Francis Dodd was born (d. 1949). Artist.
- 1876 - Nellie Tayloe Ross was born (d. 1977). American politician.
- 1894 - Lucille Hegamin was born (d. 1970). American singer and entertainer.
- 1895 - Busby Berkeley was born (d. 1976). American film director, and choreographer.
- 1896 - Yakima Canutt was born (d. 1986). American actor and stuntman.
- 1898 - C. S. Lewis was born (d. 1963). Irish writer.
- 1899 - Andrija Artuković was born (d. 1988). Croatian war criminal.
- 1901 - Mildred Harris was born (d. 1944). American actress.
- 1904 - Egon Eiermann was born (d. 1970). German architect.
- 1908 - Adam Clayton Powell Jr. was born (d. 1972). American civil rights leader and politician.
- 1910 - Antanas Škėma was born (d. 1961). Lithuanian writer, stage actor and director.
- 1911 - Mario Lago was born in Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian actor.
- 1915 - Billy Strayhorn was born (d. 1967). American musician and composer.
- 1916 - Fran Ryan was born (d. 2000). American actress.
- 1917 - Merle Travis was born (d. 1983). American singer.
- 1918 - Madeleine L'Engle was born. American author.
- 1920 - Yegor Ligachev was born. Soviet politician
- 1921 - Dagmar was born (d. 2001). American television personality.
- 1922 - Minnie Miñoso was born. Baseball player.
- 1924 - Giacomo Puccini dies (b. 1858). Italian composer.
- 1925 - The newspaper "O Povo de Silves" - Silves, Portugal is founded.
- 1927 - George Giffen dies (b. 1859). Australian cricketer.
- 1927 - Vin Scully was born. Baseball announcer.
- 1928 - Paul Simon was born (d. 2003). U.S. Senator.
- 1928 - Tahir Salahov was born. Azerbaijani painter.
- 1929 - Laurie Main was born. English actor and host of Welcome to Pooh Corner from 1983-1987.
- 1929 - Jackie Stallone was born. American astrologer and personality.
- 1930 - Shirley Porter was born. Dame Commander of the British Empire.
- 1932 - Diane Ladd was born. American actress.
- 1933 - James Rosenquist was born. American artist.
- 1933 - John Mayall was born. British blues musician.
- 1933 - Francisco Cuoco was born. Brazilian actor.
- 1939 - Fernando Pessoa is hospitalized in Lisbon.
- 1939 - Peter Bergman was born. American comedian.
- 1939 - Gene Okerlund was born. American wrestling interviewer.
- 1939 - Meco was born. American record producer and musician.
- 1940 - Chuck Mangione was born. American musician.
- 1941 - Bill Freehan was born. American baseball player.
- 1942 - Diane Ladd was born. American actress.
- 1942 - Philippe Huttenlocher was born. Swiss baritone.
- 1943 - Sue Miller was born. American author.
- 1944 - Felix Cavaliere was born. American musician and producer.
- 1944 - World War II: Albania is liberated from German occupation.
- 1945 - The Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia is declared.
- 1946 - Silvio Rodriguez was born. Cuban poet, singer and songwriter.
- 1947 - Petra Kelly was born († 01 Oct 1992). German politician and founder of the Green party.
- 1949 - Wayne Cowan was born. American professional wrestler.
- 1949 - Jerry Lawler was born. American professional wrestler and commentator.
- 1949 - Garry Shandling was born. American comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director.
- 1949 - Stan Rogers was born (d. 1983). Canadian folk musician and songwriter.
- 1951 - Jean Schmidt was born. U.S. congresswoman.
- 1951 - Roger Troutman was born (d. 1999). Funk musician and master of the talkbox.
- 1953 - Alex Grey was born. American artist.
- 1953 - Christine Pascal was born. French actress, director and screenwriter.
- 1953 - Sam De Grasse dies (b. 1875). American actor.
- 1953 - Milt Gross dies (b. 1895). American comic book illustrator and animator.
- 1954 - Dink Johnson dies (b. 1892). American musician.
- 1954 - Joel Coen was born. American film director, producer, and writer.
- 1954 - Steve Rogers was born. Australian rugby league player.
- 1955 - Howie Mandel was born. Canadian actor.
- 1956 - Hinton Battle was born. American dancer.
- 1956 - Leo Laporte was born. American television personality.
- 1957 - Erich Wolfgang Korngold dies (b. 1897). Austrian composer.
- 1958 - María Elena Moyano Delgado was born in Lima (d. 1992). Peruvian politician and women right activist ( Founder of “Micaela Bastidas”).
- 1958 - Kim Delaney was born. American actress.
- 1960 - Cathy Moriarty was born. American actress.
- 1960 - Howard Johnson, American baseball player.
- 1961 - Project Mercury: Mercury-Atlas 5 Mission - Enos, a chimpanzee, launched into space (the spacecraft orbited the Earth twice and splashed-down off the coast of Puerto Rico).
- 1961 - Tom Sizemore was born. American actor.
- 1961 - Masayoshi Yamashita was born. Japanese bassist.
- 1963 - The Beatles released I Want to Hold Your Hand in Great Britain.
- 1963 - Andrew McCarthy was born. American actor.
- 1964 - Cork Graham was born. American journalist, actor and author.
- 1964 - Don Cheadle was born. American actor.
- 1964 - Tom Sizemore was born. American actor.
- 1965 - José Campos de Figueiredo dies in Coimbra (b. 6 May 1899 in Sernache, Coimbra). Portuguese poet (Navio na Montanha - which won the Antero de Quental Prize -, Obed). He was laureate with the Prize «Ricardo Malheiros» in 1957 by the Academia das Ciencias de Lisboa.
- 1965 - Ellen Cleghorne was born. American comedian.
- 1965 - Yutaka Ozaki was born (d. 1992). Japanese singer, songwriter.
- 1967 - Vietnam War: U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara announces his resignation.
- 1967 - John Layfield was born. American professional wrestler, color commentator, and financial analyst.
- 1969 - Alves Redol dies in Lisbon (b. 29 Dec 1911). Portuguese writer. Barranco de Cegos (1962) is his masterpiece.
- 1969 - Kasey Keller was born. American soccer player.
- 1969 - Mariano Rivera was born. Panamanian baseball player.
- 1969 - Pierre van Hooijdonk was born. Dutch international footballer.
- 1970 - Mark Pembridge was born. Welsh international footballer.
- 1970 - President Felix Houphouët-Boigny, Côte d'Ivoire, is re-elected for a third term.
- 1970 - Bruno Garcia was born. Brazilian actor.
- 1970 - Maria Paula was born in Brasilia. Brazilian actress and TV personality.
- 1970 - Mark Pembridge was born. Welsh footballer.
- 1971 - Gena Lee Nolin was born. American actress.
- 1971 - Gregory Byrne was born. American college administrator.
- 1972 - Brian Baumgartner was born. American actor.
- 1972 - Jamal Mashburn was born. American basketball player.
- 1972 - Larry Joe Campbell was born. American actor.
- 1972 - Minoru Tanaka was born. Japanese professional wrestler.
- 1972 - Carl Stalling dies (b. 1888). American composer.
- 1973 - Sarah Jones was born. American playwright, poet and actress.
- 1974 - Lin Chi-ling was born. Taiwanese model.
- 1974 - Pavol Demitra was born. Slovak ice hockey player.
- 1974 - James J. Braddock dies (b. 1905). American heavyweight boxer.
- 1975 - Younis Khan was born. Pakistani cricketer.
- 1975 - Graham Hill dies (b. 1929). British motor racing driver and Formula 1 world Champion.
- 1976 - Anna Faris was born. American actress.
- 1976 - Ehren McGhehey was born. American actor and skateboarder.
- 1976 - Michalis Kakiouzis was born. Greek basketball player.
- 1976 - Maja Vučić was born. Croatian singer.
- 1976 - José da Costa Nunes dies (b. 1880). Portuguese cardinal.
- 1977 - Maria Petrova was born. Russian figure skater.
- 1978 - Alessandro Fei was born. Italian volleyball player.
- 1978 - Dimitrious Konstantopolous was born. Greek footballer.
- 1978 - Lauren German was born. American actress.
- 1979 - Francis Beltrán was born. Professional baseball player.
- 1979 - The Game (Jayceon Terrell Taylor) was born. American rapper.
- 1979 - Zeppo Marx dies (b. 1901). American actor and comedian.
- 1981 - Nicholas Teo was born. Taiwanese singer, actor.
- 1981 - Fredric Wertham dies (b. 1895). German-born psychologist.
- 1982 - Ashley Force was born. American race car driver.
- 1982 - Krystal Steal was born. American pornographic actress.
- 1982 - Lucas Black was born. American actor.
- 1982 - Percy Williams dies (b. 1908). Canadian athlete.
- 1983 - Tanner Glass was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1984 - Sitti Navarro was born. Philippine bossa nova artist.
- 1984 - Gotthard Günther dies (b. 1900). German philosopher.
- 1985 - Shannon Brown was born. American basketball player.
- 1986 - Cary Grant dies (b. 1904). British-born American actor.
- 1987 - Stephen O'Halloran was born. Irish footballer.
- 1988 - Siza Vieira, Portuguese architect is distinguished with the 1988 European Architecture Prize.
- 1988 - Six Kansas City firefighters are killed in an explosion at a construction site.
- 1988 - Saleh Ahmed was born. Law Lord.
- 1990 - Blake and Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit was born. American actors.
- 1990 - Diego González was born. Mexican singer and actors.
- 1991 - Frank Yerby dies (b. 1916). American author.
- 1991 - Ralph Bellamy dies (b. 1904). American actor.
- 1992 - Jean Dieudonné dies (b. 1906). French mathematician.
- 1996 - Dan Flavin dies (b. 1933). American artist.
- 1998 - Frank Latimore dies (b. 1925). American actor.
- 1998 - Martin Ruane dies (b. 1947). English professional wrestler.
- 1999 - Gene Rayburn dies (b. 1917). American game show host.
- 2001 - George Harrison dies (b. 1943). British singer, guitarist and songwriter.
- 2001 - John Knowles dies (b. 1926). American author.
- 2001 - Mic Christopher dies (b. 1969). Irish singer and songwriter.
- 2002 - Daniel Gélin dies (b. 1921). French actor.
- 2003 - Moondog Spot dies (b. 1952). Wrestler.
- 2004 - Anne Samson dies (b. 1891). Oldest-ever nun documented.
- 2004 - John Drew Barrymore dies (b. 1932). American actor.
- 2004 - Harry Danning dies (b. 1911). American baseball player.
- 2005 - David di Tommaso dies (b. 1979). French soccer player.
- 2005 - Manuel de Brito dies (b. 1928). Art collector and founder of Galeria 111 in Lisbon, Portugal.
- 2005 - Wendie Jo Sperber dies (b. 1958). American actress.
- 2006 - Allen Carr dies (b. 1934). English anti-smoking campaigner.
- 2007 – The Armed Forces of the Philippines lay siege to The Peninsula Manila after soldiers led by Senator Antonio Trillanes stage a mutiny.
- 2007 – A 7.4 magnitude earthquake occurs off the northern coast of Martinique. This affected the Eastern Caribbean as far north as Puerto Rico and as south as Trinidad.
- 2007 - Henry Hyde dies (b. 1924). American politician.
- 2007 - James Barber dies (b. 1923). Canadian chef and writer.
- 2007 - Ralph Beard dies (b. 1927). American basketball player.
- 2007 - Roger Bonham Smith dies (b. 1925). American automobile executive.
- 2007 - Tom Terrell dies (b. 1950). American musicologist.
- 2008 - Jørn Utzon dies (b. 1918). Danish architect.
- 2009 - Jorge Lopes dies (b. 1947). Portuguese Tv presenter and journalist.
- 2009 - Robert Holdstock dies (b. 1948). English author.
- International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.