Dá-me lírios, lírios,
E rosas também.
Mas se não tens lírios
Nem rosas a dar-me,
Tem vontade ao menos
De me dar os lírios
E também as rosas.
Basta-me a vontade,
Que tens, se a tiveres,
De me dar os lírios
E as rosas também,
E terei os lírios -
Os melhores lírios -
E as melhores rosas
Sem receber nada,
a não ser a prenda
Da tua vontade
De me dares lírios
E rosas também.
Usas um vestido
Que é uma lembrança
Para o meu coração.
Alguém que me ficou
Lembrada sem vista.
Tudo na vida
Se faz por recordações.
Ama-se por memória.
Certa mulher fez-nos ternura
Por um gesto que lembra a nossa mãe.
Certa rapariga fez-nos alegria
Por falar como a nossa irmã.
Certa criança arranca-nos da desatenção
Porque amámos uma mulher parecida com ela
Quando éramos jovens e não lhe falávamos.
Tudo é assim, mais ou menos,
O coração anda aos trambolhões.
Viver é desencontrar-se consigo mesmo.
No fim de tudo, se tiver sono, dormirei.
Mas gostava de te encontrar e que falássemos.
Estou certo que simpatizaríamos um com o outro.
Mas se não nos encontrarmos, guardarei o momento
Em que pensei que nos poderíamos encontrar.
Guardo as cartas que me escrevem,
Guardo até as cartas que não me escrevem -
Santo Deus, a gente guarda tudo mesmo que não queira,
E o teu vestido azulinho, meu Deus, se eu pudesse atrair
Através dele até mim!
Enfim, tudo pode ser...
És tão nova - tão jovem, como diria o Ricardo Reis -
E a minha visão de ti explode literariamente,
E deito-me para trás na praia e rio e como um elemental inferior,
Arre, sentir cansa e a vida é quente quando o sol está alto.
Boa noite na Áustrália
in Álvaro de Campos Poesia -edição Teresa Rita Lopes, Assírio & Alvim
FernandoPessoa (n. Lisboa, 13 Jun 1888; m. Lisboa, 30 Nov 1935)
Faz hoje 71 anos que Fernando Pessoa faleceu em Lisboa. Um dos maiores poetas de todos os tempos, tão grande que não cabendo em si teve de criar vários, sob os seus heterónimos. Por este blog dispersam-se fragmentos da sua obra.
Assim podem ler:
O guardador de rebanhos - X (Alberto Caeiro)
O guardador de rebanhos - XXI (Alberto Caeiro)
O guardador de rebanhos - XXVIII (ALlberto Caeiro)
O Tejo é mais belo ...
Odes - Ricardo Reis
Cruz na porta da tabacaria
Fragmentos do Livro do desassossego - Bernardo Soares
Afinal a melhor maneira de viajar é sentir...
Todas as cartas de amor são...
Se te queres matar ...
Dai-me rosas e lírios...
Sou vil, sou reles como toda a gente...
Não sei se é amor que tens
O que há em mim é sobretudo cansaço
Ode marcial - h
Para além da curva da estrada (Alberto Caeiro)
Sopra demais o vento
Poema da Canção sobre a Esperança
Posted by Fernando Silva at quinta-feira, Novembro 30, 2006
- 0539 - Gregory of Tours was born (d. 0594). French bishop and historian.
- 1016 - Edmund II of England dies
- 1364 - John FitzAlan, 2nd Baron Arundel was born (d. 1390). English soldier.
- 1466 - Andrea Doria was born (d. 1560). Italian naval leader.
- 1508 - Andrea Palladio was born (d. 1580). Italian architect.
- 1554 - Philip Sidney was born (d. 1586). English courtier, soldier, and writer.
- 1580 - Richard Farrant dies. English composer
- 1594 - John Cosin was born (d. 1672). English clergyman.
- 1603 - William Gilbert died (born 24 May 1544). English scientist, the "father of electrical studies" and a pioneer researcher into magnetism, who spent years investigating magnetic and electrical attractions
- 1625 - Jean Domat was born (d. 1696). French jurist.
- 1626 - Thomas Weelkes dies. English composer
- 1637 - Louis-Sébastien Le Nain de Tillemont was born (d. 1698). French historian.
- 1654 - John Selden dies (b. 1584). English jurist and oriental scholar
- 1667 - Jonathan Swift was born (d. 1745). Irish writer and satirist.
- 1670 - John Toland was born (d. 1722). Irish philosopher.
- 1675 - Cæcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore dies (b. 1605). Governor of Maryland.
- 1683 - Ludwig Andreas Graf Khevenhüller was born (d. 1744). Austrian field marshal.
- 1703 - Nicolas de Grigny dies (b. 1672). French organist and composer.
- 1718 - King Charles XII of Sweden dies killed during a siege of the fortress of Fredriksten, east of Oslo Fjord, ending Sweden's “Age of Greatness.” (b. 1682)
- 1719 - Augusta of Saxe-Gotha was born (d. 1772). Princess of Wales.
- 1722 - Theodore Gardelle was born (d. 1761). Swiss painter and enameler.
- 1723 - William Livingston was born (d. 1790). Revolutionary Governor of New Jersey.
- 1756 - Ernst Chladni was born (d. 1827). German physicist.
- 1761 - John Dollond dies (b. 1706). British optician
- 1765 - George Glas dies (b. 1725). British merchant and adventurer
- 1768 - Jędrzej Śniadecki was born (d. 1837). Polish writer, physician, chemist and biologist
- 1781 - Alexander Berry was born (d. 1873). British adventurer.
- 1796 - Carl Loewe was born (d. 1869). German composer.
- 1810 - Oliver Winchester was born (d. 1880). American gunsmith.
- 1813 - Louise-Victorine Ackermann was born (d. 1890). French poet.
- 1813 - Charles-Valentin Alkan was born (d. 1888). French composer.
- 1830 - Pope Pius VIII dies (b. 1761)
- 1835 - Mark Twain [Samuel Langhorn Clemens] was born in Florida (d. 1910). American writer (The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Life on the Mississippi, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn).
- 1836 - Lord Frederick Cavendish was born (d. 1882). British politician.
- 1839 - Guilherme de Azevedo was born in Santarém (d. 1882). Portuguese writer.
- 1840 - Henry Birks was born (d. 1928). Canadian businessman.
- 1847 - Afonso Augusto Moreira Pena was born (d. 1909). Brazilian president.
- 1857 - José de Sampaio Bruno was born. Portuguese essayst and politician.
- 1858 - Jagdish Chandra Bose was born (d. 1937). Indian Physicist.
- 1863 - Andres Bonifacio was born (d. 1897). Head of the Philippine Revolutionary Movement Katipunan (KKK)
- 1874 - Lucy Maud Montgomery was born (d. 1942). Canadian author.
- 1886 - The Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- 1891 - Pope Leo XIII's encyclical "Rerum novarum" published.
- 1898 - Firpo Marberry was born (d. 1976). American baseball player.
- 1900 - Oscar Wilde dies in Paris (b. 1854). Irish writer.
- 1901 - Edward John Eyre dies (b. 1815). British explorer.
- 1904 - Clyfford Still was born (d. 1980). American painter.
- 1907 - Jacques Barzun was born. French-born historian and author.
- 1909 - Robert Nighthawk was born (d. 1967). American musician.
- 1912 - Gordon Parks was born. American director and writer.
- 1915 - Brownie McGhee was born (d. 1996). American blues musician.
- 1918 - Denmark recognizes Iceland as an independent kingdom. Learn more about Iceland.
- 1918 - Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was born. American actor.
- 1920 - Virginia Mayo was born (d. 2005). American actress.
- 1920 - Vladimir May-Mayevsky dies (b. 1867). Russian counter-revolutionary.
- 1924 - Shirley Chisholm was born. American politician.
- 1924 - Allan Sherman was born (d. 1973). American comedian.
- 1926 - Richard Crenna was born (d. 2003). American actor.
- 1927 - Robert Guillaume was born. American actor.
- 1929 - Dick Clark was born. American television host.
- 1929 - Joan Ganz Cooney was born. American children's television pioneer.
- 1930 - G. Gordon Liddy was born. Watergate operative
- 1931 - Jack Ging was born. American actor.
- 1931 - Bill Walsh was born. American football coach.
- 1932 - Bob Moore was born. American bassist and orchestra leader
- 1933 - Sir Arthur Currie dies (b. 1875). Canadian general.
- 1935 - Fernando Pessoa dies in Lisbon (b. 13 Jun 1888). Portuguese poet. He used several heteronimous: Bernardo Soares, Alberto Caeiro, Ricardo Reis e Álvaro de Campos.
- 1936 - Abbie Hoffman was born (d. 1989). American activist.
- 1936 - Dmitri Victorovich Anosov was born. Russian mathematician
- 1937 - Frank Ifield was born. Australian/British singer
- 1937 - Ridley Scott was born. British film director.
- 1943 - Etty Hillesum dies executed (b. 1914). Dutch diarist.
- 1943 - Terrence Malick was born. American screenwriter and producer.
- 1947 - David Mamet was born. American playwright.
- 1951 - Christian Bernard was born. Mystic.
- 1951 - June Chadwick was born. British actress.
- 1952 - Mandy Patinkin was born. American actor and singer.
- 1953 - Francis Picabia dies (b. 1857). French painter and poet.
- 1954 - Wilhelm Furtwängler dies (b. 1886). German conductor.
- 1955 - Josip Solcer-Slavenski dies (b. 1896). Croatian composer.
- 1955 - Billy Idol was born. British musician.
- 1957 - Colin Mochrie was born. British-born Canadian comedian.
- 1957 - Andrew Calhoun was born. American musician.
- 1957 - Assassination attempt on Indonesian president Sukarno, kills 8 .
- 1957 - Beniamino Gigli dies (b. 1890). Italian tenor.
- 1958 - Juliette Bergmann was born. Dutch bodybuilder.
- 1958 - Stacey Q was born. American dance-pop singer
- 1958 - Hubert Wilkins dies (b. 1888). Australian polar explorer.
- 1959 - Lorraine Kelly was born. British presenter and journalist
- 1960 - Rich Fields was born. TV personality
- 1960 - Production of the De Soto automobile brand ceases.
- 1962 - Bo Jackson was born. American football and baseball player.
- 1962 - Daniel Keys Moran was born. American writer.
- 1964 - Jushin Liger was born. Japanese professional wrestler
- 1965 - Ben Stiller was born. American actor and writer.
- 1966 - Ed Kemper was born.American actor
- 1967 - The People's Republic of South Yemen becomes independent from the United Kingdom.
- 1967 - Patrick Kavanagh dies (b. 1904). Irish poet.
- 1968 - Des'ree dies. British soul/pop singer
- 1968 - Laurent Jalabert dies. French cyclist
- 1969 - Marc Goossens dies. Belgian racing driver
- 1971 - Ray Durham was born. American baseball player
- 1972 - Vietnam War: White House Press Secretary Ron Ziegler tells the press that there will be no more public announcements concerning American troop withdrawals from Vietnam due to the fact that troop levels are now down to 27,000.
- 1973 - Jason Reso was born. Canadian professional wrestler.
- 1973 - John Moyer was born. American bassist (Disturbed)
- 1974 - Lucy (Australopithecus) was discovered by Donald Johanson, Maurice Taieb, Yves Coppens and Tim White in the Middle Awash of Ethiopia's Afar Depression.
- 1975 - Ben Thatcher was born. Welsh international football player.
- 1975 - Mindy McCready was born. American musican.
- 1976 - Josh Lewsey was born. England national and London Wasps Rugby union player
- 1977 - Sophia de Mello Breyner, Portuguese poetess is laureate with The Teixeira de Pascoaes Prize.
- 1978 - Clay Aiken was born. American singer.
- 1978 - Gael Garcia Bernal was born. Mexican actor
- 1981 - Rich Harden was born. Canadian baseball player
- 1982 -Elisha Cuthbert was born. Canadian actress.
- 1984 - Naima Mora was born in Detroit. American model.
- 1984 - Nigel de Jong was born. Dutch football player
- 1984 - Alan Hutton was born. Scottish football player
- 1985 - Kaley Cuoco was born. American actress.
- 1986 - Jordan Farmar was born. American basketball player
- 1987 - Simon Carmiggelt dies (b. 1913). Dutch journalist and writer.
- 1988 - Eduardo Lourenço, Portuguese essayist wins the 1988 Charles Veillon Essay Prize.
- 1988 - Henrique Medina dies. Portuguese painter.
- 1989 - Carlos Alexandre dies (b. 1957). Brazilian singer and composer.
- 1989 - India president Rajiv Gandhi, resigns.
- 1990 - Portugal: The last number of the newspaper " Diário de Lisboa" ( founded in 7 Apr 1921) is published.
- 1990 - Magnus Carlsen was born. Norwegian chess player.
- 1993 - Sebastian Kappen dies (b. 1924). Indian theologian.
- 1993 - David Houston dies (b. 1938). American country music singer.
- 1994 - Hip-hop artist Tupac Shakur is robbed of $40,000 in jewelry and survives being shot five times in a New York music studio.
- 1994 - Nyjah Huston was born. Skateboarder
- 1994 - Guy Debord dies (b. 1931). French writyer and filmmaker.
- 1995 - Fernando Assis Pacheco dies (b. 1937). Portuguese journalist and writer.
- 1996 - Tiny Tim dies (b. 1932). American entertainer.
- 1997 - Diana Almeida, 14 years old, Portuguese model, wins the Super Model of the World.
- 1997 - Kathy Acker dies (b. 1947). American author
- 1997 - Randy Walker (AKA Stretch) dies (b. 1972). American musician.
- 1999 - Charlie Byrd dies (b. 1925). American jazz guitarist.
- 2001 - Robert Tools, the first person in the world to receive a fully self-contained artificial heart, died in Louisville, Ky.; he had lived with the device for 151 days.
- 2002 - Tim Woods dies (b. 1934). American professional wrestler.
- 2003 - Gertrude Ederle dies (b. 1906). American swimmer
- 2004 - Portuguese President, Jorge Sampaio, announces the decision to dissolve The Republic Assembly falling the Santana Lopes' government
- 2004 - Pierre Berton dies (b. 1920). Canadian author.
- 2005 - Jean Parker dies (b. 1915). American actress.
- Official End of the Hurricane Season .
- Portugal: Feriado Municipal em Mesão Frio / Portugal: Municipal hollyday in Mesão Frio
Groups A - D
Auxerre and Sevilla starred
Livorno 1-1 M. Haifa [1-0 Lucarelli 20'; 1-1 Colautti 90+3']
Partizan 1-4 Auxerre [1-0 Neb. Marinković 5; / Cheyrou 18', D. Niculae 24', Akalé 36', Pieroni 82' ]
2. M. Haifa 7 (4)
Dinamo Bucuresti 2-1 Leverkusen
Beşiktaş 2-1 Club Brugge
Grasshoppers 0-4 Sevilla
AZ 2-2 Liberec
Lens 1-2 Parma
Osasuna 3-1 OB
Tomorrow - 30 November
Nancy 19:45 Feyenoord
Wisła 19:45 Basel
Ajax 19:45 Espanyol
Austria 19:45 Sparta
Mladá Boleslav 19:45 PSG
Panathinaikos 20:45 Rapid Bucuresti
Celta 19:45 Fenerbahçe
Eintracht 19:45 Newcastle
Trazia ouro aos Pobres... dava estrelas,
que no jardim azul do céu colhera,
mas, quando El-Rei Dinis desejou vê-las,
floriu, no seu regaço, a primavera.
- «Vêde», são rosas brancas, fui colhê-las
para os gafos, Senhor! Julgáveis que era
dinheiro em vez de flores? A Deus prouvera
que em oiro e pão pudesse convertê-las!»
Repete-se o milagre, eternamente:
caem do céu, às horas do poente,
rosas de oiro, vermelhas, a sangrar...
E à noite, é Ela sempre que, na treva,
sobre a linda Cidade medieva,
desfolha rosas brancas, ao luar!
José Campos de Figueiredo (n. Sernache, Coimbra, a 6 Mai 1899; m. em Coimbra a 29 Nov 1965)
Barcelona was founded on this day in 1899, by Hans Gamper and eleven more enthusiasts. See more here.
- 0741 - Pope Gregory III dies.
- 1223 - Franciscan Order Recognised
- 1268 - Pope Clement IV dies
- 1314 - King Philip IV of France dies (b. 1268)
- 1330 - Roger de Mortimer, 1st Earl of March dies (b. 1287). De facto ruler of England.
- 1342 - Michael of Cesena dies (b. 1270). Italian Franciscan leader.
- 1378 - Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor dies (b. 1316).
- 1427 - Zhengtong was born (d. 1464). Emperor of China.
- 1484 - Joachim Vadian was born (d. 1551). Swiss humanist.
- 1577 - Cuthbert Mayne dies (b. 1543). English saint.
- 1590 - Philipp Nikodemus Frischlin dies (b. 1547). German philologist and poet.
- 1595 - Alonso de Ercilla y Zúñiga dies (b. 1533). Basque soldier and poet.
- 1626 - Ernst, Graf von Mansfield dies. German soldier
- 1627 - John Ray was born (d. 1705). English naturalist.
- 1632 - Frederick V, Elector Palatine dies (b. 1596)
- 1643 - William Cartwright dies (b. 1611). English dramatist.
- 1643 - Claudio Monteverdi dies (b. 1567). Italian composer.
- 1646 - Laurentius Paulinus Gothus dies (b. 1565). Swedish theologian and astronomer.
- 1661 - Brian Walton dies (b. 1600). English clergyman and scholar.
- 1694 - Marcello Malpighi dies (b. 1628). Italian physician.
- 1695 - James Dalrymple, 1st Viscount Stair dies (b. 1619). Scottish lawyer and statesman.
- 1699 - Patrick Gordon dies (b. 1635). Scottish general.
- 1752 - Jemima Wilkinson was born (d. 1819). American preacher.
- 1759 - Nicolaus I Bernoulli dies (b. 1687). Swiss mathematician.
- 1762 - Pierre-Andre Latreille was born (d. 1833). French zoologist.
- 1780 - Empress Maria Theresa of Austria dies (b. 1717)
- 1781 - The slave ship Zong dumps its living cargo into the sea in order to claim insurance.
- 1781 - Andrés Bello was born in Caracas (d. 1865). Venezuelan poet, lawmaker, teacher, philosopher and sociologist.
- 1797 - Gaetano Donizetti was born (d. 1848). Italian composer.
- 1797 - Samuel Langdon dies (b. 1723). American President of Harvard University.
- 1799 - Amos Bronson Alcott was born (d. 1888). American writer and educator.
- 1803 - Christian Doppler was born (d.1853). Austrian physicist.
- 1803 - Gottfried Semper was born (d. 1879). German architect.
- 1813 - Franz von Miklosich was born (d. 1891). Slovenian linguist.
- 1825 - Jean-Martin Charcot was born (d. 1893). French neurologist.
- 1825 - Latino Coelho was born in Lisbon (d. 29 Aug 1891). Portuguese journalist, politician and historian
- 1832 - Louisa May Alcott was born (d. 1888). American writer, known for her children's books, especially Little Women.
- 1847 - Marcus Whitman dies (b. 1802). Washington state pioneer.
- 1849 - Sir John Ambrose Fleming was born (d. 1945). American physicist.
- 1874 - Francis Dodd was born (d. 1949). Artist.
- 1876 - Nellie Tayloe Ross was born (d. 1977). American politician.
- 1894 - Lucille Hegamin was born (d. 1970). American singer and entertainer.
- 1895 - Busby Berkeley was born (d. 1976). American film director, and choreographer.
- 1896 - Yakima Canutt was born (d. 1986). American actor and stuntman.
- 1898 - C. S. Lewis was born (d. 1963). Irish writer.
- 1899 - Andrija Artuković was born (d. 1988). Croatian war criminal.
- 1901 - Mildred Harris was born (d. 1944). American actress.
- 1904 - Egon Eiermann was born (d. 1970). German architect.
- 1908 - Adam Clayton Powell Jr. was born (d. 1972). American civil rights leader and politician.
- 1910 - Antanas Škėma was born (d. 1961). Lithuanian writer, stage actor and director.
- 1911 - Mario Lago was born in Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian actor.
- 1915 - Billy Strayhorn was born (d. 1967). American musician and composer.
- 1916 - Fran Ryan was born (d. 2000). American actress.
- 1917 - Merle Travis was born (d. 1983). American singer.
- 1918 - Madeleine L'Engle was born. American author.
- 1921 - Dagmar was born (d. 2001). American television personality.
- 1922 - Minnie Miñoso was born. Baseball player
- 1924 - Giacomo Puccini dies (b. 1858). Italian composer.
- 1925 - The newspaper "O Povo de Silves" - Silves, Portugal is founded.
- 1927 - Vin Scully was born. Baseball announcer.
- 1928 - Paul Simon was born (d. 2003). U.S. Senator.
- 1928 - Tahir Salahov was born. Azerbaijani painter.
- 1930 - Shirley Porter was born. Dame Commander of the British Empire
- 1932 - Diane Ladd was born. American actress.
- 1933 - John Mayall was born. British blues musician.
- 1933 - Francisco Cuoco was born. Brazilian actor.
- 1939 - Peter Bergman was born. American comedian.
- 1939 - Gene Okerlund was born. American wrestling interviewer
- 1939 - Meco was born. American record producer and musician
- 1940 - Chuck Mangione was born. American musician.
- 1941 - Bill Freehan was born. American baseball player
- 1942 - Diane Ladd was born. American actress
- 1942 - Philippe Huttenlocher was born. Swiss baritone
- 1943 - Sue Miller was born. American author
- 1944 - Felix Cavaliere was born. American musician and producer
- 1944 - World War II: Albania is liberated from German occupation
- 1945 - The Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia is declared.
- 1946 - Silvio Rodriguez was born. Cuban poet, singer and songwriter.
- 1947 - Petra Kelly was born († 01 Oct 1992). German politician and founder of the Green party.
- 1949 - Wayne Cowan was born. American professional wrestler.
- 1949 - Jerry Lawler was born. American professional wrestler and commentator
- 1949 - Garry Shandling was born. American comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director.
- 1951 - Jean Schmidt was born. U.S. congresswoman
- 1953 - Alex Grey was born. American artist
- 1953 - Sam De Grasse dies (b. 1875). American actor.
- 1953 - Milt Gross dies (b. 1895). American comic book illustrator and animator.
- 1954 - Dink Johnson dies (b. 1892). American musician.
- 1954 - Joel Coen was born. American film director, producer, and writer.
- 1954 - Steve Rogers was born. Australian rugby league player.
- 1955 - Howie Mandel was born. Canadian actor
- 1956 - Hinton Battle was born. American dancer
- 1956 - Leo Laporte was born. American television personality.
- 1957 - Erich Wolfgang Korngold dies (b. 1897). Austrian composer.
- 1958 - María Elena Moyano Delgado was born in Lima (d. 1992). Peruvian politician and women right activist ( Founder of “Micaela Bastidas”).
- 1960 - Cathy Moriarty was born. American actress
- 1961 - The U.S. spacecraft Mercury-Atlas 5 is launched with Enos, a chimpanzee, aboard (the spacecraft orbited the Earth twice and splashed-down off the coast of Puerto Rico).
- 1961 - Kim Delaney was born. American actress.
- 1961 - Tom Sizemore was born. American actor
- 1963 - The Beatles released I Want to Hold Your Hand in Great Britain.
- 1963 - Andrew McCarthy was born. American actor
- 1964 - Don Cheadle was born. American actor
- 1965 - José Campos de Figueiredo dies in Coimbra (b. 6 May 1899 in Sernache, Coimbra). Portuguese poet (Navio na Montanha - which won the Antero de Quental Prize -, Obed). He was laureate with the Prize «Ricardo Malheiros» in 1957 by the Academia das Cioencias de Lisboa.
- 1965 - Ellen Cleghorne was born. American comedian.
- 1965 - Yutaka Ozaki was born (d. 1992). Japanese singer, songwriter.
- 1965 - Canadian satellite Alouette 2 is launched.
- 1967 - John Layfield was born. American professional wrestler, color commentator, and financial analyst.
- 1969 - Alves Redol dies in Lisbon (b. 29 Dec 1911). Portuguese writer. Barranco de Cegos (1962) is his masterpiece
- 1969 - Mariano Rivera was born. Panamanian baseball player
- 1970 - President Felix Houphouët-Boigny, Côte d'Ivoire, is re-elected for a third term.
- 1970 - Bruno Garcia was born. Brazilian actor
- 1970 - Maria Paula was born in Brasilia. Brazilian actress and TV personality.
- 1971 - Gena Lee Nolin was born. American actress.
- 1972 - Larry Joe Campbell was born. American actor.
- 1972 - Jamal Mashburn was born. American basketball player.
- 1972 - Minoru Tanaka was born. Japanese professional wrestler.
- 1972 - Carl Stalling dies (b. 1888). American composer.
- 1973 - Sarah Jones was born. American playwright, poet and actress
- 1974 - James J. Braddock dies (b. 1905). American heavyweight boxer.
- 1974 - Lin Chiling was born. Beautiful Taiwan model.
- 1975 - Graham Hill dies (b. 1929). British motor racing driver and Formula 1 world Champion.
- 1976 - Anna Faris was born. American actress.
- 1976 - Ehren McGhehey was born. American actor and skateboarder
- 1976 - Maja Vučić was born. Croatian singer
- 1976 - José da Costa Nunes dies (b. 1880). Portuguese cardinal.
- 1977 - Maria Petrova was born. Russian figure skater.
- 1979 - Francis Beltrán was born. Professional baseball player
- 1979 - Zeppo Marx dies (b. 1901). American actor and comedian.
- 1981 - Nicholas Teo was born. Taiwanese Singer, Actor.
- 1981 - Fredric Wertham dies (b. 1895). German-born psychologist.
- 1982 - Ashley Force was born. American race car driver.
- 1982 - Krystal Steal was born. American pornographic actress
- 1982 - Percy Williams dies (b. 1908). Canadian athlete.
- 1984 - Gotthard Günther dies (b. 1900). German philosopher.
- 1986 - Cary Grant dies (b. 1904). British-born American actor.
- 1988 - Siza Vieira, Portuguese architect is distinguished with the 1988 European Architecture Prize.
- 1988 - Six Kansas City firefighters are killed in an explosion at a construction site.
- 1990 - Blake and Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit was born. American actors
- 1990 - Diego González was born. Mexican Singer and Actor
- 1991 - Frank Yerby dies (b. 1916). American author.
- 1991 - Ralph Bellamy dies (b. 1904). American actor.
- 1992 - Jean Dieudonné dies (b. 1906). French mathematician.
- 1998 - Martin Ruane dies (b. 1947). British professional wrestler.
- 1999 - Gene Rayburn dies (b. 1917). American game show host.
- 2000 - Daniel Gélin dies (b. 1921). French actor.
- 2001 - George Harrison dies (b. 1943). British singer, guitarist and songwriter
- 2001 - John Knowles dies (b. 1926). American author.
- 2003 - Moondog Spot dies (b. 1952). Wrestler.
- 2004 - Anne Samson dies (b. 1891). Oldest-ever nun documented.
- 2004 - John Drew Barrymore dies (b. 1932). American actor.
- 2004 - Harry Danning dies (b. 1911). American baseball player.
- 2005 - David di Tommaso dies (b. 1979). French soccer player.
- 2005 - Wendie Jo Sperber dies (b. 1958). American actress.
- Denis of the Nativity and Redemptus of the Cross
- International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People