Pois é verdade. O Dia 31 de Julho é o Dia Internacional do Orgasmo. Terá sido criado na Inglaterra pelas sex-shop como forma de promoção do negócio mas actualmente serve como chamada de atenção para o facto de uma grande parte da população feminina ter dificuldades em atingir o clímax.
Bem hoje não se esqueça. Tem todos os motivos e mais um para... marcar golos!
E se marcar tantos quantos o Benfica fez ontem...
Pára-me de repente o pensamento
Como que de repente refreado
Na doida correria em que levado
Ia em busca da paz, do esquecimento...
Pára surpreso, escrutador, atento,
Como pára um cavalo alucinado
Ante um abismo súbito rasgado...
Pára e fica e demora-se um momento.
Pára e fica na doida correria...
Pára à beira do abismo e se demora
E mergulha na noite escura e fria
Um olhar de aço que essa noite explora...
Mas a espora da dor seu flanco estria
E ele galga e prossegue sob a espora.
Soneto e nota biobibliográfica extraídos de «A Circulatura do Quadrado - Alguns dos Mais Belos Sonetos de Poetas cuja Mátria é a Língua Portuguesa. Introdução, coordenação e notas de António Ruivo Mouzinho. Edições Unicepe - Cooperativa Livreira de Estudantes do Porto, 2004.
Nota: algumas fontes dão como data de nascimento 30 de Julho de 1872 em vez de 31 de Julho do mesmo ano. Se algum leitor tiver informações adicionais sobre esta questão agrademos o contacto ou comentário.
Pode ler do mesmo autor, neste blog:
Eu Ontem Vi-te
Estes Versos Antigos
- 0431 - Election of Pope Sixtus III.
- 0781 - The oldest recorded eruption of Mt. Fuji (Traditional Japanese date: July 6, 781).
- 0855 - Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal dies (b. 0780). Muslim Jurisprudent.
- 0904 - Thessalonica falls to the Arabs, who destroy the city.
- 1099 - El Cid dies (b. 1044). Spanish warrior.
- 1108 - King Philip I of France dies.
- 1143 - Emperor Nijo of Japan was born (d. 1165).
- 1396 - Philip III, Duke of Burgundy was born (d. 1467).
- 1527 - Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor was born (d. 1576).
- 1547 - King Francis I of France dies (b. 1494).
- 1556 - Ignatius Loyola dies in Rome (b. 1491). Spanish priest, founder of the Jesuit order of the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1598 - Alessandro Algardi was born (d. 1654). Italian sculptor and architect.
- 1653 - Thomas Dudley dies (b. 1576). Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1702 - Jean Denis Attiret was born (d. 1768). French Jesuit missionary and painter.
- 1704 - Gabriel Cramer was born (d. 1752). Swiss mathematician.
- 1718 - John Canton was born (d. 1772). English physicist.
- 1724 - Noël François de Wailly was born (d. 1801). French lexicographer.
- 1726 - Nicolaus II Bernoulli dies (b. 1695). Swiss mathematician.
- 1737 - Princess Augusta Charlotte of Wales was born (d. 1813).
- 1750 - King John V of Portugal dies (b. 1689).
- 1777 - The United States Congress passes a resolution that the services of Marquis de Lafayette "be accepted, and that, in consideration of his zeal, illustrious family and connexions, he have the rank and commission of major-general of the United States."
- 1784 - Denis Diderot dies (b. 1713). French philosopher and encylopedist.
- 1795 - Basílio da Gama dies in Lisbon (b. 8 Apr 1741 in São José do Rio das Mortes, Minas Gerais, Brazil). Poet.
- 1803 - John Ericsson was born (d. 1889). Swedish inventor and engineer.
- 1811 - Miguel Hidalgo dies. Mexican national heroe.
- 1816 - George Henry Thomas was born (d. 1870). American general.
- 1818 - Nikolay Novikov dies. Russian writer
- 1825 - William S. Clark was born (d. 1886). American senator and scholar.
- 1835 - Henri Brisson was born (d. 1912). French statesman.
- 1835 - Paul du Chaillu was born (d. 1903). French explorer.
- 1843 - Peter Rosegger was born (d. 1918). Austrian poet.
- 1858 - Richard Dixon Oldham was born (d. 1936). British geologist.
- 1860 - Mary Vaux Walcott was born (d. 1940). American artist and naturalist.
- 1864 - Louis Hachette dies (b. 1800). French publisher.
- 1865 - Afonso de Bragança was born. Duke of Porto (Portugal).
- 1867 - Sebastian S. Kresge was born (d. 1966). American merchant and philanthropist.
- 1872 - Ângelo de Lima (Ângelo Vaz Pinto Azevedo Coutinho de Lima) was born in Porto (d. 14 Ago 1921). Portuguese poet.
- 1873 - Augusto César Ferreira Gil was born at Lordelo do Ouro, Oporto (d. 26 Feb 1929). Portuguese poet.
- 1880 - Munshi Premchand was born. Indian Author.
- 1883 - Fred Quimby was born (d. 1965). American film producer.
- 1884 - Carl Friedrich Goerdeler was born (d. 1945). German politician.
- 1886 - Franz Liszt dies (b. 1811). Hungarian composer.
- 1887 - Hans Freyer was born (d. 1969). German sociologist.
- 1892 - Joseph Charbonneau was born (d. 1959). French Canadian Roman Catholic archbishop of Montreal.
- 1894 - Fred Keenor was born (d. 1972). Welsh footballer.
- 1900 - José Manuel Cayetano Marroquín Ricaurte takes place as President of Colombia.
- 1901 - Jean Dubuffet was born (d. 1985). French painter and sculptor.
- 1901 - Henriqueta Brieba was born in Barcelona (d. 18 Sep 1995). Spanish-born Brazilian actress.
- 1904 - Brett Halliday was born (d. 1977). American mystery writer.
- 1911 - George Liberace was born (d. 1983). American musician.
- 1912 - Irv Kupcinet was born (d. 2003). American newspaper columnist.
- 1912 - Bill Brown was born (d. 2008). Australian cricketer.
- 1913 - Bryan Hextall was born (d. 1984). Canadian hockey player.
- 1913 - William Todman was born. Game show producer.
- 1914 - Louis de Funès was born (d. 1983). French actor and comedian.
- 1914 - Jean Jaurès dies (b. 1859). French politician.
- 1916 - Billy Hitchcock was born (d. 2006). Baseball player, coach, and official.
- 1916 - Sibte Hassan was born. Pakistani activist, journalist, and writer.
- 1916 - Bill Todman was born (d. 1979). American game show producer.
- 1917 - Francis Ledwidge dies (b. 1881). Irish poet.
- 1917 - Hedd Wyn (Ellis Humphrey Evans) dies (b. 1887). Welsh poet.
- 1918 - Hank Jones was born. American pianist.
- 1919 - Curt Gowdy was born. American sports announcer
- 1919 - Primo Levi was born (d. 1987). Italian author and chemist
- 1921 - Whitney Young was born (d. 1971). American Civil rights activist who was head of the National Urban League (1961–71).
- 1921 - Peter Benenson was born (d. 2005). Founder of Amnesty International.
- 1922 - Hank Bauer was born (d. 2007). American baseball player and manager.
- 1923 - Ahmet Ertegün was born (d. 2006). Turkish-born record company executive.
- 1923 - Jimmy Evert was born. American tennis coach and father of Chris Evert.
- 1926 - Hilary Putnam was born. American philosopher.
- 1928 - Kurt Sontheimer was born. Political scientist.
- 1929 - Don Murray was born. American actor.
- 1929 - José Santamaria was born. Uruguayan footballer.
- 1929 - Lynne Reid Banks was born. British author.
- 1930 - Oleg Popov was born. Russian clown.
- 1931 - Kenny Burrell was born. American guitarist.
- 1931 - Nick Bollettieri was born. American tennis coach.
- 1932 - Ted Cassidy was born (d. 1979). American actor.
- 1932 - John Searle was born. American philosopher.
- 1933 - Cees Nooteboom was born in The Hague. Dutch author, novelist ("Rituals" "Berlin Notes"). In 1993 he was awarded the European Prize for Literature.
- 1935 - Geoffrey Lewis was born. American actor.
- 1935 - Yvon Deschamps was born. French Canadian author, comedian and humorist.
- 1936 - Vic Davalillo was born. Venezuelan baseball player.
- 1936 - Sir Richard Greenbury was born. British retailing giant.
- 1937 - Charles Martine dies. Apache scout.
- 1939 - France Nuyen was born. French actress.
- 1941 - Holocaust: Under instructions from Adolf Hitler, Nazi official Hermann Göring, orders SS general Reinhard Heydrich to "submit to me as soon as possible a general plan of the administrative material and financial measures necessary for carrying out the desired final solution of the Jewish question."
- 1941 - Amarsinh Chaudhary was born. Indian politician.
- 1943 - Lobo was born. American singer and songwriter.
- 1943 - Sab Shimono was born. Japanese-American actor.
- 1943 - Susan Flannery was born. American actress.
- 1943 - Hedley Verity dies (b. 1905). English Test cricketer.
- 1944 - Geraldine Chaplin was born. American actress.
- 1944 - Jonathan Dimbleby was born. U.K. journalist and television presenter.
- 1944 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery dies (b. 1900). French pilot and writer.
- 1946 - Bob Welch was born. American musician.
- 1948 - At Idlewild Field in New York, New York International Airport (later renamed John F. Kennedy International Airport) is dedicated.
- 1950 - Lane Davies was born. American actor.
- 1950 - Steve Miller was born. American writer.
- 1951 - Japan Airlines is established.
- 1951 - Evonne Goolagong was born. Australian tennis player.
- 1951 - Barry Van Dyke was born. American actor.
- 1952 - Chris Ahrens was born. American ice hockey player.
- 1952 - João Barreiros was born. Portuguese writer.
- 1952 - Helmuts Balderis was born. Latvian ice-hockey player.
- 1953 - James Read was born. American actor.
- 1953 - Ted Baillieu was born. Australian Politician
- 1953 - Robert Taft dies (b. 1889). U.S. Senator from Ohio and Presidential candidate.
- 1954 - Derek Smith was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1954 - Onofre Marimón dies (b. 1923). Argentine racing driver.
- 1956 - Bill Callahan was born. American football coach.
- 1956 - Bill Callahan was born. American football coach.
- 1956 - Michael Biehn was born. American actor.
- 1957 - Dirk Blocker was born. American actor.
- 1957 - Leon Durham was born. Baseball player.
- 1959 - Stanley Jordan was born. American jazz guitarist.
- 1960 - Dale Hunter was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1962 - John Chiang was born. American politician.
- 1962 - Kevin Greene was born. Professional American football player.
- 1962 - Wesley Snipes was born. American actor.
- 1963 - Brian Skrudland was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1963 - Fatboy Slim was born. British musician.
- 1964 - Ranger program: Ranger 7 sends back the first close-up photographs of the moon, with images 1,000 times clearer than anything ever seen from earth-bound telescopes).
- 1964 - Jim Corr was born. Irish singer and musician (The Corrs).
- 1964 - Jim Reeves dies (b. 1923). American singer.
- 1965 - John Laurinaitis was born. American professional wrestler.
- 1965 - J. K. Rowling was born. British novelist (her most famous character, Harry Potter was also born this day, but in 1980).
- 1965 - Julian Richards was born. British film director.
- 1965 - Scott Brooks was born. American basketball player.
- 1966 - Dean Cain was born. American actor.
- 1966 - Bud Powell dies (b. 1924). American jazz pianist.
- 1967 - Minako Honda was born (d. 2005). Japanese singer and musical actress.
- 1967 - Mitsuo Iwata was born. Japanese seiyū.
- 1969 - David Cash was born. American professional wrestler.
- 1969 - Kenneth D. Schisler was born. American politician.
- 1970 - Black Tot Day: The last day of the officially sanctioned rum ration in the Royal Navy.
- 1970 - Ahmad Akbarpour was born. Iranian writer.
- 1971 - Gus Frerotte was born. American football player.
- 1971 - John Lowery (John 5) was born. American guitarist.
- 1973 - Chandra North was born. American supermodel.
- 1973 - Nathan Brown was born. Australian rugby league player
- 1974 - Emilia Fox was born. English actress.
- 1974 - Jonathan Ogden was born. American football player.
- 1974 - Luca Tiengo was born. Italian guitar player. Member of Ledel
- 1975 - Allan von Schenkel was born. American musician.
- 1975 - Mike Lincoln was born. American baseball player.
- 1975 - Randy Flores was born. American baseball player.
- 1975 - Jody Ann Paterson was born in Balikpapan, Indonesia. Playboy Playmate of the Month October 1999.
- 1976 - Paulo Wanchope was born. Costa Rican footballer.
- 1976 - Annie Parisse was born. American actress.
- 1977 - Tim Couch was born. American football quarterback.
- 1978 - Justin Wilson was born. English race car driver.
- 1978 - Zeta Makripoulia was born. Greek actress, model and TV presenter.
- 1979 - B. J. Novak was born. American actor.
- 1979 - Carlos Marchena was born. Spanish footballer.
- 1979 - J. J. Furmaniak was born. American baseball player.
- 1979 - Jade Kwan was born. Hong Kong singer.
- 1979 - Per Krøldrup was born. Danish footballer.
- 1980 - Mils Muliaina was born. New Zealand and Waikato rugby player.
- 1980 - Mohd. Rafi dies (b. 1924). Indian playback singer.
- 1980 - Pascual Jordan dies (b. 1902). German physicist.
- 1981 - Ana Cláudia Michels was born. Brazilian model.
- 1981 - Eric Lively was born. American actor.
- 1981 - Ira Losco was born. Maltese singer.
- 1981 - J.Son Dinant was born. American comedian.
- 1981 - Matthew Sanders was born. American singer (Avenged Sevenfold).
- 1981 - General Omar Torrijos of Panama dies in a plane crash.
- 1982 - Blessing Mahwire was born. Zimbabwean cricketer.
- 1982 - Melanie Vallejo was born. Australian TV actress.
- 1984 - Glenn Holt was born. American football player.
- 1986 - Karl Lagerfeld receives the "Golden Fingerhut".
- 1986 - Evgeni Malkin was born. Russian hockey player.
- 1986 - Chiune Sugihara dies (b. 1900). Japanese diplomat.
- 1986 - Teddy Wilson dies (b. 1912). American jazz pianist.
- 1987 - Brittany Byrnes was born. Australian actress.
- 1987 - Michael Bradley was born. American soccer player.
- 1988 - 32 people were killed and 1,674 injured when a bridge at the Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal collapsed in Butterworth, Malaysia.
- 1988 – Krystal Meyers was born. American Christian singer/songwriter/musician.
- 1988 - Francisco José dies (b. 1924). Portuguese singer.
- 1988 - Trinidad Silva dies (b. 1950). American actor.
- 1989 – Victoria Azarenka was born. Belarusian tennis player.
- 1990 - Olga Galchenko was born. Russian juggler.
- 1990 - Albert Leduc dies (b. 1902). French Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1993 - King Baudouin I of Belgium dies (b. 1930) .
- 1994 - Portugal is the European Champion in football U-18, beating Germany on penalty kicks.
- 1994 - A UN Security Council resolution authorized the use of “all necessary means” to restore democracy to Haiti.
- 1995 - Henrique Santana dies. Portuguese actor.
- 1996 - MIL-STD-1750A is declared inactive for use in new designs.
- 1996 - Seagram Miller dies (b. 1970). American rapper.
- 2001 - Poul Anderson dies (b. 1926). American science fiction author
- 2001 - Francisco Costa Gomes dies in Lisbon (b. in Chaves, 1914). 16th President of Portugal (1974-1976)
- 2001 - Friedrich Franz, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin dies (b. 1910).
- 2002 – Hebrew University of Jerusalem is attacked when a bomb explodes in a cafeteria, killing 9.
- 2002 - Portugal - Inicio da 2ª edição da Minho Campus Party.
- 2002 - O Prémio Camões é entregue à escritora portuguesa Maria Velho da Costa.
- 2002 - South Africa signs Kyoto Protocol.
- 2003 - WON is shut down.
- 2003 - Guido Crepax dies (b. 1933). Italian comics artist.
- 2004 - Virginia Grey dies (b. 1917). American actress.
- 2004 - Laura Betti dies (b. 1927). Italian actress.
- 2005 - Wim Duisenberg dies (b. 1935). Dutch banker and 1st president of the European Central Bank.
- 2006 - Paul Eells dies (b. 1935). "Voice of the Arkansas Razorbacks" sportscaster for 38 years.
- 2009 – Sir Bobby Robson dies (b. 1933). English professional football player and manager.
- 2009 – Harry Alan Towers dies (b. 1920). English film producer and screenwriter.
- End of the Trinity term (sitting of the High Court of Justice of England)
- Heroes' Day (Malaysia).
- Ka Hae Hawaiʻi Day, a Flag Day (Hawaii).
- Orgasm Day
Segunda parte de luxo esturrica holandeses
O Benfica começou mal o jogo com Rúben Amorim, ao tentar passar a bola para o guarda-redes, a oferecer o golo aos holandeses, já que o jovem russo Smolov ficou com a bola e não teve dificuldades em bater Roberto que regressou à baliza (e logo o Benfica sofreu golos, ainda que, neste caso, sem responsabilidades).
A verdade é que o Benfica esteve praticamente meia hora amorfo, sem conseguir aproximar-se da baliza holandesa, face ao meio-campo muito pressionante dos visitantes a «matar» as jogadas logo na sua fase inicial. Foi pelo lado esquerdo e com os defesas Fábio Coentrão - David Luís que o Benfica protagonizou a primeira jogada de perigo e que viria a ditar uma mudança completa no sentido do jogo. David Luís começou e acabou a jogada depois de combinar com Coentrão, rematando em volley mas com o golo a escapar por centímetros - a bola bateu na barra. Nos cinco minutos seguintes o Benfica criou outras tantas jogadas de perigo e o Feyenoord viu com agrado expirar-se o tempo do primeiro «round». porque já estava encostado às cordas.
No início da segunda parte o Benfica fez quatro alterações do meio-campo para a frente e só foi preciso esperar cinco minutos para ver Cardozo empatar após um passe de Fábio Coentrão. O Benfica teve um domínio importante com Cardozo de cabeça a enviar a bola à barra na sequência de um canto da esquerda (aos 57') mas passados dois minutos os holandeses estiveram perto de voltar ao comando do marcador quando Diego Biseswar à entrada da área pelo lado esquerdo fez um remate com selo de golo mas Roberto com uma grande defesa desviou a bola ainda que ligeiramente fazendo-a bater na quina da baliza. Foi praticamente a única defesa do guarda-redes mas que se revelou de grande importância.
David Luís noutra iniciativa ofensiva de categoria atiraria ao poste para Jara fazer o mesmo de seguida e percebia-se pela supremacia encarnada que novo golo do Benfica seria uma questão de tempo. Aos 72' Ramires fez um passe de ruptura isolando Cardozo que com o pé esquerdo fuzilou o guarda-redes Mulder. A equipa do Benfica já quase toda remodelada (sete substituições) beneficiou da quebra física dos holandeses, dada a alta temperatura verificada e o facto do treinador do Feyenoord só ter procedido a três substituições (e todas já no último quarto de hora do jogo).
Foi, com naturalidade, que o Benfica ampliou a vantagem agora por Felipe Menezes na marcação de um livre directo em que a defesa foi surpreendida pensando que seria Cardozo a bater o livre. Ainda aos 86' com Cardozo outra vez no lance a disputar a bola com o central e a aparecer Ruben Amorim a aproveitar de pé esquerdo a enviar junto ao poste sem que o guarda-redes sequer tivesse possibilidade de esboçar a defesa.
Não houve casos de maior em termos de arbitragem se bem que não fosse um jogo particular teria havido um ou outro cartão amarelo (Ruben Amorim que o diga).
Houve ainda a marcação de penalties como forma de desempate (se a isso houver lugar o que é improvável face ao resultado) e aí o Benfica também ganhou por 5-4 com Cardozo, Felipe Menezes, Ruben Amorim, David Luís e Fábio Coentrão a marcarem. Os holandeses falharam logo a primeira quando Vlaar atirou por cima da barra.
Amanha joga o Feyenoord com o Aston Villa e no domingo à noite o Benfica encerra o torneio jogando com os ingleses a partida decisiva para atribuição do troféu.
1º. Jogo do X Torneio do Guadiana
Árbitro: Duarte Gomes
BENFICA: Roberto; Rúben Amorim, Sidnei (77' Luisão), David Luiz e Fábio Coentrão; Javi Garcia (46' Airton), Carlos Martins (46' Carlos Martins), Aimar (46' Jara) e César Peixoto (65' Felipe Menezes); Saviola (78' Luís Felipe) e Kardec (46' Cardozo).
Suplentes: Júlio César, Luís Felipe, Luisão, Fábio Faría, Airton, Ramires, Felipe Menezes, Cardozo, Jarra, Weldon, Nuno Gomes, Gaitán, Roderick e Balboa.
Treinador: Jorge Jesus
FEYENOORD: Erwuin Mulder; Stefan De Vrij,Ron Vlaar, André Bahia e Tim de Cler; Karim El Ahmadi (76' Van Haarem), Eroy Fer, Wijnaldum e Luigi Bruins (81' Dani Fernández); Diego Biseswar e Smolov (76' Luc Castaign).
Suplentes: Rob Van Dijk, D. Dani Fernández, Adil Auassar, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Lumb, Luc Castaign e Van Haarem.
Treinador: Mário Been
Golos: 0-1 Smolov 4'; Cardozo (2) aos 50' e 72'; 3-1 Felipe Menezes 75'; 4-1 Ruben Amorim 85'
Acção disciplinar: Nada a registar
do realizador Ingmar Bergman (14 Jul 1918 - 30 Jul 2007)
Três modos de despedida
Tem o meu bem para mim:
- «Até logo»; «até à vista»:
Ou «adeus» - É sempre assim.
«Adeus», é lindo, mas triste;
«Adeus» ... A Deus entregamos
Nossos destinos: partimos,
Mal sabendo se voltamos.
«Até logo», é já mais doce;
Tem distancia e ausência, é certo;
Mas não é nem ano e dia,
Nem tão-pouco algum deserto.
Vale mais «até à vista»,
Do que «até logo» ou «adeus»;
«À vista», lembra, voltando,
Meus olhos fitos nos teus.
Três modos de despedida
Tem, assim, o meu Amor;
Antes não tivesse tantos!
Nem um só... Fora melhor.
Nota do Webmaster: Muito pior é quando alguém parte sem despedida... (ainda que tenhamos sentido o presságio)!
in Poesia Brasileira do Século XX, dos Modernistas à Actualidade. Direcção, Introdução e Notas de Jorge Henrique Basto, Edições Antígona, Lisboa
Mário Quintana (n. in Alegrete, Rio Grande do Sul a 30 Jul 1906; m. em Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul a 5 de Maio de 1994).
- 0578 - Jacob Baradaeus dies. Bishop of Edessa.
- 0579 - Pope Benedict I dies.
- 1178 - Fredrick "Barbarossa" crowned King of Burgundy.
- 1233 - Assassination of Conrad of Marburg and Gerhard Lutelholb.
- 1291 - Haifa falls to the Mameluks.
- 1371 - Massacre of the Compagnia del Bruco in Florence, Italy.
- 1419 - First Defenestration of Prague: Beginning of the Hussite Wars.
- 1511 - Giorgio Vasari was born (d. 27 Jun 1574). Italian painter.
- 1523 - Juan de Anchieta was born. Spanish composer.
- 1538 - Newfoundland reached by Sir Humphrey Gilbert.
- 1540 - Thomas Abel dies martyred. English priest.
- 1540 - Robert Barnes dies martyred (b. 1645). English churchman.
- 1549 - Ferdinando I de' Medici was born (d. 1609). Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- 1550 - Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton dies (b. 1505). English politician.
- 1588 - Howard sails from Plymouth.
- 1609 - Iroquois Indians defeated by their first sight of firearms.
- 1619 - In Jamestown, Virginia, the first representative assembly in the Americas, the House of Burgesses, convenes for the first time.
- 1629 - An earthquake in Naples, Italy kills 10,000 people.
- 1641 - Regnier de Graaf was born (d. 1673). Dutch physician and anatomist.
- 1652 - Charles Amédée de Savoie dies (b. 1624). 6th Duc de Nemours, French soldier.
- 1680 - Thomas Butler, Earl of Ossory dies (b. 1634). Irish naval commander.
- 1691 - Brendan Byrne was born (d. 1949). Irish writer.
- 1691 - Daniel Georg Morhof dies (b. 1639). German writer and scholar.
- 1715 - Nahum Tate dies (b. 1652). Irish poet.
- 1718 - William Penn dies (b. 1644). English founder of the Province of Pennsylvania.
- 1729 - Baltimore, Maryland is founded.
- 1751 - Maria Anna Mozart was born (d. 1829). Austrian musician.
- 1763 - Samuel Rogers was born in Stoke Newington. English poet (The Pleasures of Memory). He will be best remembered as a witty conversationalist and friend of many greater poets.
- 1766 - Carta régia que proíbe, no Brasil, as indústrias de ourives, fiadores de ouro, de sedas e algodões tecidos.
- 1771 - Thomas Gray dies (b. 1716). English poet and letter-writer ("Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard") .
- 1809 - Charles Chiniquy was born (d. 1899). Quebec-born excommunicated Catholic priest.
- 1818 - Emily Brontë was born (d. 1848). English novelist.
- 1825 - Malden Island discovered.
- 1825 - Chaim Aronson was born (d. 1893). Inventor and academic.
- 1835 - Vicente Rocafuerte ocupa la presidencia de Ecuador.
- 1848 - A iluminação a gás é inaugurada em Lisboa.
- 1855 - Georg Wilhelm von Siemens was born (d. 1919). German industrialist.
- 1857 - Thorstein Veblen was born in Cato, Wisconsin (d. 1929). Economist (The Theory of the Leisure Class).
- 1859 - Henry Simpson Lunn was born (d. 1939). English humanitarian.
- 1863 - Henry Ford was born (d. 1947). American industrialist / Nascimento de Henry Ford (1863-1947), no Michigan, Estados Unidos da América. Foi o inventor da linha de montagem para produção de automóveis.
- 1864 - American Civil War: Battle of the Crater - Union forces attempt to break Confederate lines by exploding a large bomb under their trenches.
- 1866 - New Orleans's Democratic government ordered police to raid an integrated GOP meeting, killing 40 people and injuring 150.
- 1871 - The Staten Island Ferry Westfield's boiler explodes, killing over 85 people.
- 1872 - Princess Clémentine of Belgium was born (d. 1955).
- 1875 - George Pickett dies (b. 1825). American Confederate general.
- 1879 - António Correia de Oliveira was born on S. Pedro do Sul (b. 1960). Portuguese poet.
- 1881 - Smedley Butler was born (d. 1940). American Marine general.
- 1889 - Franz Masereel was born (d. 1972). Belgian painter and graphic artist.
- 1889 - Vladimir Zworykin was born (d. 1982). Russian physicist and inventor, often called the "Father of Television" for inventing the iconoscope.
- 1890 - Casey Stengel was born (d. 1975). American baseball manager.
- 1894 - Walter Pater dies in Oxford.
- 1895 - Wanda Hawley was born (d. 1963). American actress.
- 1898 - Henry Moore was born (d. 1986). English sculptor.
- 1898 - Otto von Bismarck dies (b. 1815). German chancellor.
- 1899 - Gerald Moore was born (d. 1987). English pianist.
- 1900 - Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha dies (b. 1844).
- 1901 - Alfred Lépine was born (d. 1955). Quebec ice hockey player and coach.
- 1904 - Salvador Novo was born (d. 1974). Mexican writer.
- 1904 - Tsarevich Alexei of Russia was born (d. 1918).
- 1906 - Mario Quintana was born (1994). Brazilian poet/ Mário Quintana nascia em Alegrete (RS) (d. 5 Mai 1994). Poeta brasileiro (A Rua dos Cataventos).
- 1909 - C. Northcote Parkinson was born (d. 1993). British historian and writer.
- 1910 - Edgar de Evia was born (d. 2003). American mountain climber.
- 1912 - Emperor Meiji dies (b. 1852). Japanese emperor.
- 1914 - Lord Killanin was born (d. 1999). Irish International Olympic Committee president.
- 1916 - Dick Wilson was born. American actor.
- 1918 - Joyce Kilmer dies in fighting near Seringes on the Western Front. American poet.
- 1920 - José Fernandes Costa dies (b. 1848). Portuguese writer, poet and military.
- 1921 - Grant Johannesen was born (d. 2005). American pianist.
- 1925 - Alexander Trocchi was born (d. 1984). Scottish writer.
- 1925 - Jacques Sernas was born. French actor (La Dolce Vita, Superfly T.N.T.).
- 1926 - Christine McGuire was born. American singer (The McGuire Sisters).
- 1927 - Richard Johnson was born. English actor.
- 1927 - Victor Wong was born (d. 2001). American actor.
- 1928 - George Eastman showed the first color motion pictures in the U.S.
- 1928 - Eunice Muñoz was born. Portuguese actress.
- 1928 - Joe Nuxhall was born (d. 2007). American baseball player and sportscaster.
- 1929 - Christine McGuire was born. American singer (The McGuire Sisters: Sincerely, He)
- 1929 - Sid Krofft was born. Canadian children's television producer.
- 1929 - Werner Tübke was born. German painter.
- 1930 - Thomas Sowell was born. American economist.
- 1933 - Edward Byrnes was born. American actor (77 Sunset Strip, holds record for appearing on the most magazine covers  in one month [October 1960])
- 1934 - Ben Piazza was born (d. 1991). American actor (Guilty by Suspicion, The Hanging Tree)
- 1934 - Bud Selig was born. American baseball team owner and commissioner.
- 1934 - Kurt von Schuschnigg was named Austrian chancellor following the assassination of Engelbert Dollfuss.
- 1935 - Ted Rogers was born (d. 2001). English comedian and game show host.
- 1936 - Buddy Guy was born. American guitarist and singer.
- 1936 - Infanta Pilar of Spain was born.
- 1938 - Hervé de Charette was born. French politician.
- 1938 - Joe Nuxhall was born. Baseball: Cincinnati Reds pitcher: youngest major-league player [15yrs, 314 days].
- 1939 - Eleanor Smeal was born. American feminist activist.
- 1939 - Peter Bogdanovich was born. American film director (The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon, What's Up Doc?)
- 1940 - Nicolau Breyner was born in Serpa. Portuguese actor.
- 1940 - Clive Sinclair was born. British entrepreneur.
- 1941 - Count Desmond (Edward Benjamin) was born. American sword swallower
- 1941 - Paul Anka was born. Canadian singer and composer.
- 1943 - Henri-François Gautrin was born. Quebec politician.
- 1945 - World War II: A Japanese submarine sinks the USS Indianapolis, killing 883 seamen in the worst single loss in the history of the United States Navy.
- 1945 - David Sanborn was born. American musician, Grammy award winning.
- 1945 - Patrick Modiano was born. French novelist.
- 1946 - Neil Bonnett was born (d. 1994). American race car driver.
- 1947 - Jonathan Mann was born (d. 1998). AIDS activist.
- 1947 - William Atherton was born. American actor.
- 1948 - Jean Reno was born. Moroccon-born French actor.
- 1949 - Dwight_White was born (d. 6 Jun 2008). American football (Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end: Super Bowl IX, X, XIII, XIV).
- 1949 - Duck Baker was born. American guitarist.
- 1950 - Willie Harper was born. Football: San Francisco '49ers linebacker: Super Bowl XVI)
- 1950 - Frank Stallone was born. American singer and actor.
- 1950 - Guilhermina Sugia dies in Porto (b. 27 Jun 1885). Portuguese cellist.
- 1954 - Elvis Presley makes his debut as a public performer.
- 1954 - Ken Olin was born. American actor (Hill Street Blues, Thirtysomething).
- 1956 - Delta Burke was born. American actress (Designing Women, Filthy Rich).
- 1956 - Anita Hill was born. American law professor, author.
- 1956 - Réal Cloutier was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1957 - Nery Pumpido was born. Argentine football goalkeeper.
- 1957 - Rat Scabies was born. British musician.
- 1957 - Colm Imbert was born. Trinidadian politician.
- 1957 - Clint Hurdle was born. American baseball player and manager.
- 1957 - Rui Veloso was born. Portuguese singer, rock musician.
- 1958 - Richard Burgi was born. American actor.
- 1958 - Kate Bush was born. British musician.
- 1958 - Daley Thompson was born. English decathlete.
- 1960 - Richard Linklater was born. American director.
- 1961 - Laurence Fishburne was born. American actor.
- 1961 - Neal McCoy was born. Country singer.
- 1962 - Alton Brown was born. American television host and chef.
- 1962 - Jay Feaster was born. American National Hockey League executive.
- 1963 - Lisa Kudrow was born. American actress.
- 1963 - Chris Mullin was born. Basketball player.
- 1964 - Alek Keshishian was born. Lebanese-born American film director.
- 1964 - Vivica A. Fox was born. American actress (Independence Day).
- 1964 - Jürgen Klinsmann was born. German football player and manager.
- 1964 - Dwayne O'Brien was born. Country musician (Little Texas)
- 1965 - US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Social Security Act of 1965 into law, establishing Medicare and Medicaid.
- 1965 - Junichiro Tanizaki dies (b. 1886). Japanese author.
- 1966 - At Wembley Stadium, host England wins the Football World Cup, beating Germany 4 to 2. / Em Londres, os donos da casa vencem a Alemanha por 4 a 2 e conquistam a Copa do Mundo de Futebol.
- 1966 - President Johnson signed the Medicare bill on this day in 1966.
- 1968 - Robert Korzeniowski was born. Polish athlete.
- 1968 - Terry Crews was born. American football player and actor.
- 1969 - Simon Baker was born. American actor.
- 1970 - Powder Ridge Rock Festival.
- 1970 - Christopher Nolan was born. British film director.
- 1970 - George Szell dies (b. 1897). Hungarian conductor.
- 1971 - Pan-American Games started in Colombia.
- 1971 - Tom Green was born. Canadian comedian, actor.
- 1971 - Christine Taylor was born. American actress (The Brady Bunch Movie).
- 1971 - Sagi Kalev was born. Israeli bodybuilder.
- 1971 - Kenneth Slessor dies (b. 1901). Australian poet.
- 1973 - Markus Naslund was born. Swedish icehockey player.
- 1973 - Sonu Nigam was born. Indian singer/actor.
- 1974 - Hilary Swank was born. American Academy Award winning actress.
- 1974 - Jason Robinson was born. English dual-code rugby player.
- 1974 - Radostin Kishishev was born. Bulgarian footballer.
- 1975 - Jimmy Hoffa disappears from the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, at about 2:30 p.m. He is never seen or heard from again.
- 1975 - Representatives of 35 countries convened in Helsinki, Finland, for a conference on security and human rights that resulted in the "Helsinki Accords." The conference was aimed at ensuring peace in Europe.
- 1975 - Cherie Priest was born. American writer.
- 1975 - Graham Nicholls was born. British artist.
- 1975 - James Blish dies. Author.
- 1977 - Jaime Pressly was born. American actress.
- 1977 - Ian Watkins was born. Welsh singer (Lostprophets).
- 1978 - James Branaman was born. American model and reality show contestant.
- 1979 - Carlos Arroyo was born. Puerto Rican basketball player.
- 1979 - Graeme McDowell was born. Northern Irish professional golfer.
- 1979 - Ian Watkins was born. Welsh singer (Lostprophets).
- 1980 - Vanuatu gains independence.
- 1980 - James Anderson was born. English cricketer.
- 1980 - Justin Rose was born. British golfer.
- 1980 - Chuck Thomas was born. British TV producer / presenter.
- 1980 - Sara Anzanello was born. Italian volleyball player.
- 1981 - Juan Smith was born. South African rugby player.
- 1981 - Nicky Hayden was born. American motorcycle racer.
- 1982 - Matthew Johnson was born. American rapper.
- 1982 - Roberta Pedon dies (b. 1954). American glamour model.
- 1983 - Sean Dillon was born. Irish footballer.
- 1983 - Lynn Fontanne dies (b. 1887). English actress.
- 1983 - Howard Dietz dies (b. 1896). American lyricist.
- 1984 - West German swimmer Michael Gross became the first double gold winner of the 1984 Summer Olympics, while the United States picked up three gold medals in swimming and shooting.
- 1984 - Mobutu Sese Seko is reelected Presidente of Zaire.
- 1984 - Gabrielle Christian was born. American actress.
- 1984 - Kevin Pittsnogle was born. American basketball player.
- 1985 - Daniel Fredheim Holm was born. Norwegian footballer.
- 1985 - Julia Hall Bowman Robinson dies (b. 1919). American mathematician.
- 1986 - Adam Nelson was born. English conductor.
- 1988 - Chacrinha dies (b. 1916). Brazilian TV presenter and radialist.
- 1989 - Lane Frost dies (b. 1963). American bull rider.
- 1990 - The first Saturn automobile rolls off the assembly line.
- 1992 - Joe Shuster dies (b. 1914). Canadian comic book artist.
- 1992 - Brenda Marshall dies (b. 1915). American actress.
- 1996 - Claudette Colbert dies in Barbados (b. 1903). French-American actress.
- 2000 - President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela won a fresh six-year term in a landslide re-election (59,05% dos votos) against Francisco Arias (38,04%).
- 2002 - Young Crown Prince Hridayendra of Nepal was born. Second in line to the Nepalese throne.
- 2003 - Sam Phillips dies (b. 1923). American record producer.
- 2004 - A gas explosion kills 16 people in Belgium.
- 2004 - Andre Noble dies (b. 1979). Canadian actor.
- 2005 - Ray Cunningham dies (b. 1905). American baseball player.
- 2005 - John Garang dies (b. 1945). Vice President of Sudan.
- 2005 - Anthony Walker dies (b. 1987). Hate crime murder victim.
- 2006 - Al Balding dies (b. 1924). Canadian professional golfer.
- 2006 - Anthony Galla-Rini dies (b. 1904). American accordionist.
- 2006 - Murray Bookchin dies (b. 1921). American libertarian socialist.
- 2007 - Michelangelo Antonioni dies (b. 1912). Italian film director.
- 2007 - Teoctist dies (b. 1915). Ex-Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church.
- 2007 - Ingmar Bergman dies (b. 1918). Swedish stage and film director.
- 2007 - Bill Walsh dies (b. 1931). American football coach.
- 2008 - Anne Armstrong dies (b. 1927). U.S. ambassador to Britain.
- 2009 – Peter Zadek dies (b. 1926). German theatre director.
- Vanuatu - Independence Day.