- 1109 - Alphonso VI dies (b. 1109). King of Castile.
- 1470 - King Charles VIII of France was born (d. 1498)
- 1487 - Concebido o Pentateuco, na cidade de Faro, primeiro livro impresso em Portugal
- 1520 - Montezuma II dies (b. 1466). Aztec ruler
- 1607 - Caesar Baronius dies (b. 1538). Italian cardinal and historian.
- 1651 - Battle of Beresteczko ends with Polish victory.
- 1662 - Casamento de D. Catarina, filha de D. João IV, com Carlos II de Inglaterra.
- 1685 - John Gay was born (d. 1732). English writer.
- 1685 - Dominikus Zimmermann was born (d. 1766). Master builder.
- 1775 - Paul de Barras was born. Politician (d. 1829)
- 1789 - Horace Vernet was born (d. 1863). Painter and graphic artist.
- 1793 - Inaugurado o Teatro Nacional de S. Carlos - Lisboa, Portugal
- 1795 - A Academia das Ciências de Lisboa foi autorizada a nomear pessoas para a recolha de lápides e inscrições pelo reino.
- 1796 - Abraham Yates dies (b. 1724). American Continental Congressman.
- 1798 - Criação da Sociedade Real Marítima, Militar e Geográfica, com fins culturais e científicos , e sobretudo para apoio da feitura da Carta Geral do Reino.
- 1805 - Morreu o Intendente (Diogo Inácio da) Pina Manique , fundador da Casa Pia de Lisboa (n. 03 Out 1783)
- 1807 - Friedrich Theodor von Vischer was born (d. 1887). Narrator, lyricist, and philosopher
- 1817 - Joseph Dalton Hooker was born (d. 1911). Botanist.
- 1843 - Ernest Mason Satow was born (d. 1929). Author.
- 1857 - Alcide d'Orbigny dies (b. 1802). French naturalist.
- 1871 - Alfredo da Silva was born (d. 1942). Portuguese industrialist.
- 1883 - The first appearance of The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson in Young Folks; A Boys' and Girls' Paper of Instructive and Entertaining Literature.
- 1890 - Samuel Parkman Tuckerman dies (b. 1819). American composer.
- 1891 - Man Mountain Dean was born (d. 1953). Professional wrestler.
- 1893 - Walter Ulbricht was born (d. 1973). German politician.
- 1894 - Korea declares independence from China, asks for Japanese aid
- 1894 - London Tower Bridge opens
- 1898 - Otto von Bismarck dies (b. 1815). German Leader
- 1899 - Harry Shields was born (d. 1971). Jazz musician.
- 1914 - Portugal: Nasce em Chaves Francisco da Costa Gomes. Presidente da República (1974-1976) e marechal.
- 1917 - Lena Horne was born. Actress and singer.
- 1926 - Paul Berg was born in Brooklyn, New York. American biochemist and professor emeritus at Stanford University. He shared The Nobel Prize e Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1980 "for his fundamental studies of the biochemistry of nucleic acids, with particular regard to recombinant-DNA" with Walter Gilbert and Frederick Sanger.
- 1927 - Shirley Fry was born. Tennis champion: Australian Open , French Open , Wimbledon , U.S. Open 
- 1934 - Harry Blackstone Jr. was born (d. 1997). Magician.
- 1935 - The Senegalese Socialist Party holds its first congress.
- 1936 - Nancy Dussault was born. Actress.
- 1939 - Peter Bogdanovich was born in Kingston, New York. American film director.
- 1944 - Raymond Moody was born. Parapsychologist
- 1952 - The Guiding Light airs on television for the first time.
- 1953 - The first Chevrolet Corvette rolls off the assembly line in Flint, Michigan.
- 1953 - Charles Miller dies. Father of football in Brazil.
- 1958 - Esa-Pekka Salonen was born. Finnish conductor and composer
- 1959 - Vincent D'Onofrio was born in Brooklyn, New York. Actor
- 1959 - José Vasconcelos dies (b. 1882). Mexican writer and politician.
- 1961 - Lee DeForest dies (b. 1873). American inventor
- 1962 - Tony Fernandez was born. Baseball player.
- 1963 - Yngwie J. Malmsteen was born. Guitarist
- 1966 - Mike Tyson was born. World champion boxer
- 1966 - Giuseppe Farina dies (b. 1906). Italian race car driver.
- 1968 - Philip Anselmo was born. Musician.
- 1970 - Brazil beats Italy 4-1 in soccer's 9th World Cup at Mexico City
- 1971 - Monica Louise Potter is born in Cleveland, Ohio American actress ( The Young and the Restless, Without Limits, Patch Adams, Along Came a Spider ).
- 1971 - Herbert Biberman dies (b. 1900). Jewish American screenwriter and film director.
- 1974 - Vannevar Bush dies (b. 1890). American engineer and politician.
- 1975 - Ralf Schumacher was born. Race car driver
- 1980 - Na Islândia, Vigdis Fihnbogadotir foi a primeira mulher europeia a ser eleita Presidente da República.
- 1983 - Colonel Muannar Kadhaffi president of Libya (officially his title since 2 March 1979 is 'Leader of the Revolution') flies to Rabat for talks with King Hassan II of Morocco (Mawlay al-Hasan II ibn Muhammad). Success ends a 14 year political rift between the two countries and leads to a period (1984-86) of strong political union between the two countries.
- 1984 - Lillian Hellman dies (b. 1905). Playwright.
- 1984 - Fantasia Barrino was born. Singer
- 1985 - Thirty-nine American hostages from a hijacked TWA jetliner are freed in Beirut after being held for 17 days.
- 1985 - Michael Phelps was born. American swimmer
- 1985 - Fabiana Vallejos was born. Argentine footballer
- 1985 - Thirty-nine American hostages from a hijacked TWA jetliner are freed in Beirut after being held for 17 days.
- 1986 - The U.S. Supreme Court rules that states could outlaw homosexual acts between consenting adults.
- 1987 - The Royal Canadian Mint introduces the $1 coin, known as the Loonie
- 1988 - French archbishop Marcel Lefebvre is excommunicated by the Catholic church.
- 1990 - East and West Germany merge their economies.
- 1992 - Fidel Ramos was sworn in as the new president of the Philippines. Joseph Estrada was elected vice-president with twice as many votes in a separate race.
- 1992 - Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher joins the House of Lords as Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven.
- 1993 - George "Spanky" McFarland dies (b. 1928). Child actor.
- 1995 - Gale Gordon dies (b. 1906). American actor.
- 1995 - Georgi Beregovoi dies (b. 1921). Soviet cosmonaut.
- 1995 - Jorge Peixinho dies. Portuguese musician.
- 1997 - Larry O'Day dies (b. 1944). Wrestler.
- 2000 - Bilateral Open skies agreement USA - Portugal / Assinatura de acordo bilateral de "Céus Abertos" entre Estados Unidos e Portugal.
- 2001 - Doctors implant a dual-purpose pacemaker in U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney's chest.
- 2001 - Chet Atkins dies (b. 1924). Country and western musician.
- 2003 - Buddy Hackett dies (b. 1924). American comic.
- 2003 - Robert McCloskey dies (b. 1915). Children's book writer and illustrator.
- 2004 - Portugal vence a Holanda por 2-1 e assegura a presença na final do Euro 2004 (Campeonato da Europa de Futebol disputado em Portugal) .
- 2004 - António Sousa Freitas dies (b. 1921). Portuguese poet.
- 2005 - Frode Hallingbye is leaving Eli Lilly to fullfill his dream.
- 2005 - Brazil wins Confedarations Cup in football.
- 2006 - World Cup in Germany: Quarter-Finals: Germany beat Argentina on penalty kicks decision after 1-1 and Italy won 3-0 against Ukraine
- 2006 - Robert Gernhardt dies (b. 1937). German satirist.
- 2007 - A car crashes into Glasgow International Airport in Scotland, believed to be a terrorist attack.
- 2007 - Sahib Singh Verma dies (b. 1943). Indian politician and former Chief Minister of Delhi.
- Democratic Republic of the Congo's Independence Day
e o pranto lento deslizando em fio...
Saudade! Amor da minha terra... O rio
cantigas de águas claras soluçando.
Noites de Junho... O caboré com frio,
ao luar, sobre o arvoredo, piando, piando...
E, ao vento, as folhas lívidas cantando
A saudade imortal de um sol de estio.
Saudade! Asa de dor do Pensamento!
Gemidos vãos de canaviais ao vento...
As mortalhas da névoa sobre a serra...
Saudade! O Parnaíba - velho monge
as barbas brancas alongando... E ao longe,
o mugido dos bois da minha terra...
in A Circulatura do Quadrado - Alguns dos Mais Belos Sonetos de Poetas cuja Mátria é a Língua Portuguesa, Unicepe
António Francisco da Costa e Silva (n. em Amarante, no Piauí, em 29 de Nov de 1885; m. no Rio de Janeiro a 29 Jun 1950.
um bambual que rumoreja ao vento;
Sol de fogo em areia prateada,
Deslumbramento e mais deslumbramento.
Ao fundo, a Serra. Pinceladas frouxas
De ouro e tristeza em fundo azul. Aquelas
Manchas que são jacatirões - as roxas,
E aleluias - as manchas amarelas.
A minha terra, quando a vejo escampa
Cheia de sol e de visões amigas,
Lembra-me o cromo que enfeitava a tampa
De uma caixa de goma, das antigas...
Goleada inesperada do Paraguai frente à Colômbia que dispôs mesmo da hipótese de se colocar a ganhar ao beneficiar de um penalty desperdiçado (defesa fácil do guarda-redes Villar do Paraguai a renmate de Dominguez, dois minutos antes de Roque Santa Cruz ter inauguradop o marcador aos 29' da primeira parte). O duelo Roque Santa Cruz - Córdoba foi manifestamente desiquilibrado a favor do avançado que logo no reatamento da segundas parte após lançamento comprido bateu o defesa colombiano em corrida e fez o 2-0.
A eficácia dos paraguaios foi impressionante e o resultado avolumou-se até ao 5-0 final. O 3º. golo ainda marcado pelo jogador do Bayern, enquanto op avançado do Benfica Óscar Cardozo teve uma estreia pela selecção bastante discreta. Aliás foi o seu substituto aos 69'-Cabañas - que viria a obter os últimos dois golos.
No outro jogo a Argentina confirmou o seu favoritismo mas foi a equipa do Norte que se colocou na posição de vencedora aos 9' na concretização de um penalty por Eddie Johnson. mas passados dois minutos Herman Crespo estabeleceu o empate.
Foi na segunda parte que o resultado se desnivelou a favor da Argentina com Herman Crespo a merecer destaque pois marcou também o segundo golo aos 64'. Pablo Aimar aos 78' e Carlos Tevez aos 85' aumentaram o «score».
A prova prossegue na Venezuela com os jogos da 2ª. Jornada do Grupo A a disputarem-se na noite de amanhã (em Portugal): Bolívia-Uruguai (21:05 Sport TV) e Venezuela-Perú (23:20 Sport TV).
- 1059 - Bernard II, Duke of Saxony dies.
- 1252 - King Abel of Denmark dies (b. 1218)
- 1312 - Roman Catholics German King Henry VII crowned
- 1315 - Ramon Llull dies (b. 1235). Spanish philosopher.
- 1397 - John II of Aragon was born (d. 1479)
- 1517 - Rembert Dodoens was born (d. 1585). Flemish physician.
- 1529 - Emperor Karel V and Pope Clemens VII sign Treaty of Barcelona
- 1540 - Thomas Cromwell was sentenced to death. English ex-chancellor
- 1596 - Emperor Go-Mizunoo of Japan was born (d. 1680)
- 1620 - John Aerts dies. Flemish sculptor
- 1641 - Portugal assinou com a Suécia o Tratado de Estocolmo
- 1725 - Arai Hakuseki dies (b. 1657). Japanese Confucianist, poet, politician, and writer.
- 1744 - André Campra dies (b. 1660). French composer.
- 1746 - Joachim Heinrich Campe was born (d. 1818). Pedagogue.
- 1764 - Ralph Allen dies (b. 1693). English businessman and politician.
- 1767 - The British Parliament approved the Townshend Acts.
- 1776 - The Virginia constitution was adopted and Patrick Henry was made governor.
- 1779 - Anton Raphael Mengs dies. Painter.
- 1798 - Giacomo Leopardi was born (d. 1837). Italian poet.
- 1801 - Pietro Alfieri was born. Italian composer.
- 1803 - John Newton Brown was born (d. 1868). American publisher.
- 1837 - William IV dies. King of England.
- 1847 - Assinatura da Convenção do Gramido que põe fim à guerra civil da Patuleia, firmando a derrota das forças revoltosas da junta do Porto, compostas por uma aliança de setembristas, miguelistas e dissidentes cartistas, e consagrando a vitória do governo cartista do marechal Saldanha.
- 1849 - John Hunn was born (d. 1926). American businessman.
- 1852 - Juan de Dios Peza was born. Mexican writer.
- 1852 - Henry Clay dies (b. 1777). U.S. Senator.
- 1855 - John Gorrie dies (b. 1802). American scientist.
- 1858 - Julia Clifford Lathrop was born in Rockford, Illinois (d. 1932). American social worker, head of the U.S. Children's Bureau (1912-1921)
- 1858 - George Washington Goethals was born (d. 1928). American army engineer (Chief Engineer of Panama Canal);
- 1861 - Elizabeth Barrett Browning dies (b. 1806). English poet.
- 1863 - George Custer is appointed as a U.S. Union brigadier-general
- 1865 - Shigechiyo Izumi was born (d. 1986). Japanese supercentenarian.
- 1866 - Mykhailo Hrushevsky was born (d. 1934). Ukrainian statesman.
- 1868 - George Ellery Hale was born (d. 1938). American astronomer.
- 1873 - Michael Madhusudan Dutt dies (b. 1824). Bengali poet.
- 1875 - Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria dies (b. 1793)
- 1878 - Teixeira de Vasconcellos dies (b. 1 Nov 1816). Portuguese writer and journalist.
- 1880 - Ludwig Beck was born (d. 1944). German general.
- 1886 - Robert Schuman was born (d. 1963). French politician.
- 1886 - James Van Der Zee was born (d. 1983). American photographer.
- 1886 - Robert Schuman was born. French Prime-Minister
- 1888 - First (known) recording of classical music made, Handel's Israel in Egypt on wax cylinder.
- 1888 - Realizada a primeira operação ao apêndice, pelo cirurgião inglês Frederik Treves
- 1890 - Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper was born. World's oldest woman
- 1890 - Afonso Schmidt was born in Cubatão, São Paulo (d. 3 Apr 1964). Brazilian poet and journalist (Janelas Abertas - 1912)
- 1891 - National Forest Service is organized.
- 1891 - Street railway in Ottawa commences operation.
- 1895 - Doukhobors burn their weapons as a protest against conscription by the Tsarist Russian government.
- 1895 - Floriano Peixoto (Marechal Floriano) dies. President of Brazil (1891-1894)
- 1895 - Thomas Henry Huxley dies (b. 1825). English scientist.
- 1897 - Fulgence Charpentier was born (d. 2001). French Canadian journalist.
- 1900 - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was born (d. 1944). French pilot and writer.
- 1900 - Ivan Mikheevich Pervushin dies (b. 1900). Russian mathematician.
- 1901 - Nelson Eddy was born (d. 1967). American singer and actor.
- 1903 - Alan Blumlein was born (d. 1942). English electronics engineer.
- 1905 - Manuel Altolaguirre was born. Spanish poet and publisher (La lenta libertad)
- 1906 - Manuel Altolaguirre was born. Spanish poet.
- 1906 - Ivan Chernyakhovsky was born (d. 1945). Russian general
- 1906 - Albert Sorel dies (b. 13 Ago 1842). French historian.
- 1908 - Leroy Anderson was born (d. 1975). American composer.
- 1910 - Frank Loesser was born (d. 1969). American composer
- 1911 - Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands was born (d. 2004).
- 1911 - Bernard Herrmann was born (d. 1975). American film composer.
- 1911 - Eudóxio César Azedo Gneco dies (b. 1849). Portuguese journalist, founder of Portuguese Socialist Party on 10 Jan 1875.
- 1912 - John Toland was born (d. 2004). American historian
- 1913 - Beginning of the 2nd Balkan War. Bulgaria defeated Greek and Serbian troops.
- 1914 - Portugal: A Sociedade Nacional de Belas-Artes é reconhecida como instituição de utilidade pública.
- 1914 - Rafael Kubelik was born (d. 1996). Czech conductor.
- 1914 - Rafael Kubelík was born (d. 1996). Czech conductor.
- 1914 - Christos Papakyriakopoulos was born (d. 1976). Greek mathematician
- 1915 - Ruth Warrick was born. American actress.
- 1916 - Boeing aircraft flies for first time .
- 1917 - The Ukraine proclaimed independence from Russia.
- 1918 - Vitorino Magalhães Godinho was born. Portuguese historian and professor.
- 1919 - Slim Pickens [Louis Bert Lindley Jr.], was born (d. 8 Dec 1983). Actor, cowboy. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Howling, The Apple Dumpling Gang, In Harm’s Way, One-Eyed Jacks, The Outlaws, Hee Haw; Cowboy Hall of Famer.
- 1919 - José Gregorio Hernández dies (b. 1864). Venezuelan physician.
- 1920 - Ray Harryhausen was born. American filmmaker.
- 1921 - Reinhard Mohn was born. Publisher.
- 1921 - Frédéric Dard was born (d.2000). French writer.
- 1921 - Otto Seeck dies (b. 1850). German classical historian.
- 1922 - France grants 1 km² at Vimy Ridge "freely, and for all time, to the Government of Canada, the free use of the land exempt from all taxes".
- 1922 - Vasko Popa was born (d. 1991). Yugoslavian poet.
- 1923 - Chou Wen-chung was born. Chinese-American composer
- 1924 - Ezra Laderman was born. American composer
- 1924 - Flo Sandon's was born (d. 2006). Italian singer.
- 1925 - Canada House opens in London, England.
- 1925 - Giorgio Napolitano was born. Italian politician
- 1925 - Hale Smith was born. American composer, pianist, educator, arranger, and editor
- 1925 - Cara Williams was born. American actress
- 1926 - Arthur Meighen returns to office as Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1926 - Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah was born (d. 2006). Emir of Kuwait.
- 1930 - Robert Evans - American film producer.
- 1927 - First test of Wallace Turnbull's variable-pitch propeller.
- 1928 - Ian Bannen was born (d. 1999). Scottish Actor.
- 1929 - Pat Crawford Brown was born. American actress.
- 1929 - Oriana Fallaci was born (d. 2006). Italian journalist and author.
- 1930 - Robert Evans was born. American film producer and actor (Love Story, Godfather, Chinatown)
- 1931 - Nérée Beauchemin dies (b. 1850). Quebec poet.
- 1932 - Brian Hutton, Baron Hutton was born. British Law Lord
- 1933 - Italian boxer Primo Carnera knocked out American Jack Sharkey to become the heavyweight champion of the world.
- 1933 - Bob Shaw was born. Baseball player.
- 1933 - John Bradshaw was born. American theologian.
- 1933 - Fatty Arbuckle dies (b. 1887). American actor.
- 1935 - Jack O'Neill dies (b. 1873). Baseball player.
- 1936 - Harmon Killebrew was born. Baseball player.
- 1936 - Henrique Viana was born in Lisbon. Portuguese actor and comedian.
- 1937 - Joseph-Armand Bombardier receives patent for sprocket and track traction system used in snow vehicles.
- 1938 - Acácio de Almeida was born at Souto, Portugal. Cinematographer. Founder of production company "Inforfilmes"
- 1939 - Alan Connolly was born. Australian cricketer
- 1940 - Vyacheslav Artyomov was born. Russian composer.
- 1940 - Paul Klee dies (b. 1879). Swiss artist.
- 1941 - Stokely Carmichael was born (d. 1998). Black Panther member
- 1941 - Ignacy Jan Paderewski dies (b. 1860). Polish pianist and composer.
- 1941 - Kwame Ture (born "Stokeley Carmichael"), was born. Civil rights activist.
- 1942 - Dmitri Shostakovitch's 7th Symphony, premieres
- 1942 - Mike Willesee was born. Australian television presenter
- 1942 - Tristão da Cunha (José Maria Leitão da Cunha, Fº.) dies in Rio de Janeiro (b. 13 Mar 1878). Brazilian poet and writer (Torre de Marfim 1901)
- 1943 - Little Eva was born. American singer
- 1944 - Gary Busey was born. American actor
- 1944 - Sean O'Malley was born. Current Archbishop of Boston
- 1946 - Ernesto Pérez Balladares was born. President of Panama from 1994 to 1999
- 1947 - Richard Lewis was born. American comedian
- 1947 - Michael Carter was born. British actor
- 1949 - Joan Clos i Matheu was born. Current mayor of Barcelona
- 1950 -António Francisco da Costa e Silva dies in Rio de Janeiro (b. 1885). Brazilian poet (Sangue -1908).
- 1952 - Joe Johnson was born. English snooker player
- 1953 - Colin Hay was born. Scottish-Auistralian guitarist and singer
- 1954 - Rick Honeycutt was born. American baseball player
- 1955 - Charles J. Precourt was born. Deputy Manager, International Space Station Program
- 1956 - Marilyn Monroe married playwright Arthur Miller in a London ceremony.
- 1956 - Charles Dumas cleared the high jump, which was set at 7’ 1/2", at the Los Angeles Coliseum. Dumas became the first athlete to break the seven-foot barrier.
- 1956 - Pedro Guerrero was born. Baseball player
- 1957 - Maria Conchita Alonso was born in Cienfuegos, Cuba. She raised in Venezuela. After she was crowned Miss Teenager of the World, (1971) and Miss Venezuela, (1975), - 6th in Miss World 1975- she became a popular actress and singer (Roosters, Texas, Predator 2, Vampire’s Kiss, Colors, The Running Man, Extreme Prejudice, Blood Ties, Moscow on the Hudson, One of the Boys).
- 1958 - Rosa Mota was born. Olympics: 1984 bronze Marathon, 1988 Gold Marathon. Worlds: 1987 Gold Marathon. European: 1982, 1986 & 1990 Gold Marathon. Nascimento da grande atleta portuguesa, Rosa Mota, uma das maiores figuras do desporto português de todos os tempos.
- 1958 - Brazil finally win their first world championship with a 5-2 victory against hosts Sweden in Stockholm. Vava and Pele score a brace each with Zagallo - who went on to coach Brazil to victory in the 1970 finals - scoring the other / O Brasil conquista o seu primeiro Campeonato do Mundo de futebol ao bater na final a Suécia em Estocolmo por 5-2 ( COPA 1958, na Suécia).
- 1960 - Frank Patrick dies (b. 1885). Professional ice hockey player and coach.
- 1961 - Se inaugura el Estadio San Martín de Porras, propiedad de Sporting Cristal de Lima, Perú.
- 1961 - Greg Hetson was born. American punk-rock guitarist
- 1962 - Amanda Donohoe was born. British actress
- 1962 - George Zamka was born. American astronaut
- 1963 - Anne-Sophie Mutter was born. German violinist
- 1963 - Khalid El-Masri was born. German mistaken for a suspected terrorist
- 1964 - Eric Dolphy dies (b. 1928). American jazz musician.
- 1964 - Stedman Pearson was born. British singer
- 1965 - Tripp Eisen was born. American musician
- 1966 - John Part was born. Canadian darts player
- 1967 - Jeff Burton was born. American auto racer
- 1967 - Jayne Mansfield dies (b. 1933). American actress.
- 1967 - Primo Carnera dies (b. 1906). Italian boxer.
- 1967 - José Leitão de Barros dies (b. 1896). Portuguese film director.
- 1968 - Theoren Fleury was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1969 - Ilan Mitchell-Smith was born. American actor
- 1969 - Claude Béchard was born. Quebec politician
- 1969 - Moise Thsombe dies (b. 1919). Premier of Congo
- 1969 - Shorty Long dies (b. 1940). American singer.
- 1970 - Premiere of "A party for Boris". In Hamburg Thomas Bernhard’s first play premiered
- 1970 - Mike Vallely was born. American skateboarder and singer (Revolution Mother)
- 1971 - Matthew Good was born. Canadian musician
- 1971 - Anthony Hamilton was born. English snooker player
- 1971 - Kaitlyn Ashley was born. American adult actress
- 1971 - Matthew Good was born. Canadian rock musician and activist
- 1972 - The U.S. Supreme Court rules the death penalty could constitute "cruel and unusual punishment".
- 1972 - Nawal Al Zoghbi was born. Lebanese singer
- 1972 - Samantha Smith was born. American social activist and child actress.
- 1973 - George Hincapie was born. American cyclist
- 1974 - Ferreira de Castro dies (b. 1898). Portuguese writer /Morreu o escritor português Ferreira de Castro (n. 24 Mai 1898). Emigrantes (1928 ). A Selva (1930), Eternidade (1932),Terra Fria (1934), Tempestade (1940).
- 1975 - Danton Mello (Danton Figueiredo Melo) was born in Passos, Minas Gerais. Brazilian actor.
- 1975 - Independiente se proclama campeón de Copa Libertadores por cuarta vez consecutiva. Lo hace venciendo a Unión Española de Chile, por 2 a 0, en el estadio Defensores del Chaco en Asunción, Paraguay.
- 1975 - Dionisio Ridruejo dies (b. 12 Out 1912). Spanish poet.
- 1976 - Sandhya Chib was born. Miss Universe-India (1996).
- 1976 - Seychelles gains independence from Britain.
- 1977 - Oleg Korenfeld was born. Russian-born poet
- 1978 - Sam Farrar was born. American bassist
- 1978 - Nicole Scherzinger was born. American singer, dancer and actress
- 1978 - Bob Crane dies murdered (b. 1928). American actor.
- 1979 - Marleen Veldhuis was born. Dutch swimmer
- 1979 - Matthew Bode was born. Australian Rules Football player
- 1979 - Lowell George dies (b. 1945). American musician.
- 1980 - Katherine Jenkins was born. Welsh soprano
- 1980 - Martin Truex Jr was born. American race car driver
- 1980 - James Courtney was born. Australian racing driver.
- 1981 - Joe Johnson was born. American basketball player
- 1981 - Nicolás Vuyovich was born (d. 2005). Argentine racing driver.
- 1981 - Maria Maya was born. Brazilian actress.
- 1981 - Mohammed Hussein Beheshti dies murdered. Iran ayatollah, politician
- 1982 - Andrea Butjko was born. Hungarian porn star
- 1982 - Henry King dies (b. 1886). American film director.
- 1982 - Pierre Balmain dies (b. 1914). French fashion designer.
- 1984 - Han Ji-hye was born. South Korean actress and model
- 1984 - Derek Lee Rock was born. American drummer
- 1986 - In Mexico City Argentina wins the Football World Cup defeating Germany 3-2. This was the second world title for Argentine. Inspired by an outstanding Diego Maradona, the South Americans race into a 2-0 lead by halftime, but Germany claw their way back into the match to draw level 2-2 through Rudi Voeller's 82nd minute strike. Jorge Burrachaga scores just three minutes later though to give Argentina their second world championship.
- 1986 - Austin Drage was born. English singer.
- 1987 - Vincent Van Gogh’s Le Pont de Trinquetaille brought in $20.6 million at an auction in London, England.
- 1987 - Yasuka Saitou was born. Japanese actor
- 1990 - Irving Wallace dies (b. 1916). American author and screenwriter (Book of Lists, Peoples Almanac).
- 1992 - Mohammed Boudiaf dies assassinated (b. 1919). Algerian president.
- 1993 - Héctor Lavoe dies (b. 1946). Puerto Rican salsa music singer.
- 1994 - Saaed Owairan scores one of the best goals in World Cup history. The Saudi Arabian striker gets the ball in his own half in the fifth minute, beats half the Belgian side before slotting home. The Middle East side holds on to a historic 1-0 victory.
- 1994 - Kurt Eichhorn dies (b. 1908). German conductor.
- 1994 - Ray Crane dies. Trumpeter
- 1995 - Lana Turner dies (b. 1921). American actress. ("A successful man is one who make more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man").
- 1995 - George Foreman loses IBF boxing title, refused to fight Axel Schulz
- 1999 - Allan Carr dies. American film producer, writer
- 2000 - Vittorio Gassman dies (b. 1922). Italian actor.
- 2002 - Hakan Sukur becomes the scorer of the fastest goal at the World Cup finals. The Turkish striker finds the net 11 seconds into the Third Place playoff against South Korea. His side win the match 3-2 and sensationally finish in third place.
- 2002 - Rosemary Clooney dies (b. 1928). Singer, actress who became one of Hollywood's biggest celebrities of the 1950s, died on in her Beverly Hills mansion.
- 2002 - Ole-Johan Dahl dies (b. 1931). Computer scientist.
- 2002 - Rosemary Clooney dies (b. 1928). American singer and actress.
- 2002 - François Périer dies (b. 1919). French actor.
- 2003 - Thirteen are killed in a porch collapse in Chicago.
- 2003 - Katharine Hepburn dies (b. 1907). American actress
- 2004 - José Durão Barroso é oficialmente indicado para presidir à Comissão Europeia .
- 2004 - A UN helicopter crashed in Sierra Leone and all 24 aboard were killed.
- 2004 - Yara Lins dies (b. 1930). Brazilian actress.
- 2004 - Bernard Babior dies (b. 1935). American biochemist.
- 2006 - Randy Walker dies (b. 1954). American football coach.
- 2006 - Fabián Bielinsky dies (b. 1959).Argentinean film director.
- 2006 - Lloyd Richards dies (b. 1919). American actor and director.
- Feast of Saints Peter and Paul (also a local holiday in Rome, of which they are patron saints). O S. Pedro é uma festa popular também festejada em muitas localidades portuguesas. É famosa a festa de S. Pedro da Afurada, pequena povoação piscatória situada na foz e margem esquerda do rio Douro, em frente à cidade do Porto, Portugal.
The woman perks up and says, "How about that? I just ordered a glass of champagne, too!"
He turned to her and said, "What a coincidence. This is a special day for me, I'm celebrating."
"This is a special day for me, too, and I'm also celebrating!" says the woman.
"What a coincidence," says the man. They clinked glasses and he asked, "What are you celebrating?"
"My husband and I have been trying to have a child. Today, my gynecologist told me I'm pregnant!"
"What a coincidence," says the man. "I'm a chicken farmer and my last batch of hens were infertile, but today they're finally fertile."
"That's great!" says the woman, "How did your chickens become fertile?"
"I switched cocks", he replied.
"What a coincidence", she said.
On this day of sky-blue bears
Running across quiet eyelashes,
I divine beyond the blue waters
In the cup of my eyes an order to wake.
The silver spoon of my extended eyes
Offers me a sea buoying a storm petrel;
And I see how the Russian bird flies
Through unknown lashes to the roaring sea.
A sea of heavenlove has capsized
Someone's sail in the round-blue water,
But the first storm is hopeless and gone
And from now on the journey is spring.
Velimir Khlebnikov (pseudonym of Viktor Vladimirovich Khlebnikov) (b. 9 Nov 1885; d. 28 Jun 1922)