Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2011-04-06

Sonnets from the Portuguese (Sonnet 43) - Elizabeth B. Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.


Versão em português:
Como te amo? Deixa-me contar de quantas maneiras.
Amo-te até ao mais fundo, ao mais amplo e ao mais alto
que a minha alma pode alcançar buscando, para além do visível
dos limites do Ser e da Graça ideal.
Amo-te até às mais ínfimas necessidades de todos
os dias à luz do sol e à luz das velas.
Amo-te com liberdade, enquanto os homens lutam pela Justiça;
Amo-te com pureza, enquanto se afastam da lisonja.
Amo-te com a paixão das minhas velhas mágoas
e com a fé da minha infância.
Amo-te com um amor que me parecia perdido - quando
perdi os meus santos - amo-te com o fôlego, os
sorrisos, as lágrimas de toda a minha vida!
E, se Deus quiser, amar-te-ei melhor depois da morte.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (b. March 6, 1806, Kelloe, Durham, England; died June 29, 1861, Florence, Italy).

Sonnets from the Portuguese (Sonnet 28): My Letters
Read Translation in Portuguese / Ler tradução em Português


0 comments: