Andei em longas excursões distantes:
Vi palácios, sacrários, monumentos,
Fócos da indústria, artísticos portentos...
Praças soberbas, capitais gigantes.
Mas lia, em toda a parte, nos semblantes,
Dores... lutas... idênticos tormentos...
— Onde a pátria dos risos?!... Desalentos
Colhi apenas, mais cruéis que dantes.
Achei, enfim, num pequenino porto,
Crenças, consolações, calma, conforto,
Tudo que anima, enleva e maravilha:
Ninho de encantos que a inocência habita
Promontório do céu, plaga bendita.
É junto ao berço teu, ó minha filha.
Afonso Celso de Assis Figueiredo Jr. (n. em Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais, a 31 Mar 1860, m. Rio de Janeiro a 11 Jul 1938)
Andei em longas excursões distantes:
- 1074 - Eleanor of Aquitaine dies (b. 1121). Queen of France and England.
- 1084 - Anti-pope Clement III crowned German emperor Henry IV.
- 1128 - Num diploma desta data, o nome de D. Afonso Henriques aparece à frente de Fernão Peres de Trava, pela primeira vez, demonstrando a tentativa de pacificação entre D. Teresa, Fernão Peres de Trava e a nobreza portucalense revoltada.
- 1204 - Eleanor of Aquitaine dies (b. 1121). Queen of France and England.
- 1340 - Ivan I of Russia dies (b. 1288). Prince of Moscow.
- 1360 - Philippa of Lancaster was born (d. 1415). Queen of Portugal.
- 1371 - É assinado o Tratado de Alcoutim entre D. Fernando e Henrique II de Castela, pelo qual se põe fim à guerra começada em 1369. D. Fernando abdicava das suas pretensões à coroa de Castela, obtendo em troca um alargamento do território de Portugal e o acordo para o seu casamento com a Infanta Dona Leonor, filha mais velha do rei de Castela.
- 1425 - Bianca Maria Visconti was born (d. 1468). Duchess of Milan.
- 1499 - Pope Pius IV was born (d. 1565).
- 1519 - King Henry II of France was born (d. 1559).
- 1536 - Ashikaga Yoshiteru was born (d. 1565). Ashikaga shogun.
- 1547 - Francis I of France dies (b. 1494).
- 1567 - Philipp I of Hesse dies (b. 1504).
- 1576 - Louise Juliana of Nassau was born (d. 1644). Regent of Bohemia
- 1596 - René Descartes was born in La Haye (d. 11 Feb 1650). French mathematician and philosopher. ("I think, therefore I am")
- 1621 - Philip III of Spain (Philip II of Portugal) dies (b. 1578)./ Morte de Filipe II de Portugal, (Filipe III de Catela) nascido em 1578, sucedendo-lhe Filipe III com 16 anos.
- 1621 - Andrew Marvell was born (d. 1678). English poet.
- 1631 - John Donne dies (b. 1572). English writer and prelate.
- 1651 - Karl II, Elector Palatine was born (d. 1685).
- 1667 - Assinatura do tratado de aliança entre D. Afonso VI e Luís XIV (França), contra Carlos II de Espanha.
- 1675 - Pope Benedict XIV was born (d. 1758).
- 1693 - John Harrisson was born (d. 1776). English horologist and inventer /Nasceu o inventor inglês John Harrison, responsável pelo cronómetro .
- 1703 - Portugal, Inglaterra e Holanda assinaram um tratado de aliança ofensiva e defensiva.
- 1703 - Johann Christoph Bach dies (b. 1642). German composer.
- 1711 - Ireland's last trial for witchcraft was at Magee Island.
- 1718 - Marianne Victoria of Borbón was born (d. 1781). Queen regent of Portugal.
- 1723 - King Frederick V of Denmark was born (d. 1766).
- 1723 - Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon dies (b. 1661). British Governor of New York and New Jersey
- 1727 - Sir Isaac Newton dies (b. 1643). English mathematician and physicist.
- 1730 - Étienne Bézout was born (d. 1783). French mathematician.
- 1732 - Joseph Haydn was born in Rohrau (d. 31 May 1809 in Vienna). Austrian composer.
- 1741 - Pieter Burmann the Elder dies (b. 1668). Dutch classical scholar
- 1742 - P. D. Q. Bach was born (d. 1807). Fictitious composer.
- 1745 - Jews were expelled from Prague.
- 1777 - Charles Cagniard de la Tour was born (d. 1859). French physicist.
- 1778 - Coenraad Jacob Temminck was born (d. 1858). Dutch zoologist.
- 1783 - Nikita Ivanovich Panin dies (b. 1718). Russian statesman.
- 1791 - Mozart aceita a encomenda anónima de um Requiem, enquanto última a composição da Flauta Mágica.
- 1794 - Thomas McKean Thompson McKennan was born (d. 1852). American politician.
- 1806 - Benito Juarez was born (d. 1872). Mexican statesman.
- 1809 - Edward FitzGerald was born (d. 1883). English poet.
- 1809 - Nikolai Gogol was born (d. 1852). Russian writer.
- 1811 - Robert Wilhelm Bunsen was born (d. 1899). German chemist, inventor: Bunsen burner.
- 1819 - Prince Chlodwig zu Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst was born (d. 1901). Chancellor of Germany
- 1829 - Pius VIII was elected pope.
- 1837 - John Constable dies (b. 1776). English painter.
- 1839 - Las fuerzas gubernamentales del general y político argentino Juan Manuel de Rosas masacran a los sublevados del barón de Astrada, quien perece en la lucha.
- 1847 - Yegor Ivanovich Zolotarev was born (d. 1878). Russian mathematician.
- 1855 - Charlotte Brontë dies (b. 1816). English author.
- 1860 - Afonso Celso was born in Ouro Preto (MG) (d. 11 Jul 1938). Brazilian poet and politician.
- 1864 - Manuel Murillo Toro is elected President of Colombia.
- 1866 - Spanish Navy bombs the harbour of Valparaíso, Chile .
- 1870 - Thomas Peterson Mundy of New Jersey becomes the first black man to cast a ballot after the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives blacks the right to vote.
- 1872 - Alexandra Kollontai was born (d. 1952). Russian ambassador to Norway.
- 1877 - Antoine Augustin Cournot dies (b. 1801). French mathematician.
- 1878 - La Asamblea Nacional de Ecuador promulga una Nueva Constitución bajo la presidencia de Ignacio Veintimilla.
- 1878 - Jack Johnson was born (d. 1946). African-American boxer.
- 1879 - Se establece por decreto en Venezuela el bolívar como moneda nacional.
- 1880 - Henryk Wieniawski dies (b. 1835). Polish composer .
- 1881 - Sigmund Freud received his MD degree from the University of Vienna. During his career as a medical student, Freud discovered that cocaine could be used as an analgesic.
- 1884 - Adriaan van Maanen was born (d. 1946). Dutch-American astronomer.
- 1885 - Pascin was born (d. 1930). Bulgarian painter, The "Prince of Montparnasse".
- 1885 - Franz Wilhelm Abt dies (b. 1819). German composer.
- 1889 - The Eiffel Tower built for the Paris World's Fair is opened to public.
- 1891 - Victor Varconi was born (d. 19876). Hungarian film actor.
- 1893 - Clemens Krauss was born (d. 1954). Austrian conductor.
- 1906 - The Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States (later National Collegiate Athletic Association) is established to set rules for amateur sports in the United States.
- 1907 - Eddie Quillan was born (d. 1990). American actor.
- 1908 - Red Norvo was born (d. 1999). American jazz vibraphonist.
- 1908 – Eugénio Salvador was born (d. 1992). Portuguese actor / Nascimento, em Lisboa, do grande actor português, Eugénio Salvador (m. 1992). [Aqui D'El Rei! (1992) (TV) . A Maluquinha de Arroios (1970) Bonança & C.a (1969) Passagem de Nível (1965) Aqui Há Fantasmas (1964) Parque das Ilusões, O (1963) Pupilas do Senhor Reitor, As (1961) Vidas Sem Rumo (1956) Comissário de Polícia, O (1953) Duas Causas (1953) Três da Vida Airada, Os (1952) Um Marido Solteiro (1952); Eram Duzentos Irmãos (1952); Madragoa (1952); Sonhar É Fácil (1951); Sol e Toiros (1949) ; Fado, História d'uma Cantadeira (1948); Cais do Sodré (1946) ;Maria Papoila (1937/I) Lisboa (1930)].
- 1911 - Elisabeth Grümmer was born (d. 1986). Alsatian soprano.
- 1912 - Hermann Höcherl was born (d. 1989). German politician.
- 1912 - Karl May dies (b. 1842). Author.
- 1913 - John Pierpont Morgan dies (b. 1837). American financier and banker.
- 1915 - Albert Hourani was born (d. 1993). English historian.
- 1915 - Shoichi Yokoi was born (d. 1997). Japanese military man.
- 1915 - Wyndham Halswelle dies (b. 1882). British runner.
- 1915 - Sixto (Doroteo) Palavecino was born in Barrancas, Salavina. Argentine musician.
- 1916 - John H. Wood, Jr. was born (d. 1979). American federal judge.
- 1916 - Lucille Bliss was born. American voice actress.
- 1919 - Frank Akins was born (d. 1993). American football player.
- 1922 - Richard Kiley was born (d. 1999). American actor and singer.
- 1924 - Leo Buscaglia was born (d. 1998). American author.
- 1924 - Charles Guggenheim was born (d. 2002). American film director/producer.
- 1925 - Jean Coutu was born (d. 1999). French Canadian actor.
- 1926 - John Fowles was born (d. 2005). English author.
- 1927 - Borisav "Bora" Stanković dies (b. 1875). Serbian writer.
- 1927 - César Chávez was born (d. 1993). American labor activist.
- 1927 - William Daniels was born. American actor.
- 1928 - Gordie Howe was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1928 - Lefty Frizzell was born (d. 1975). American singer and songwriter.
- 1929 - Bertram Fields was born. American lawyer.
- 1929 - Lucille Bliss was born. American voice actress.
- 1929 - Liz Claiborne was born. Belgian fashion designer.
- 1931 - Miller Barber was born. American golfer
- 1931 - Knute Rockne dies (b. 1888). American football coach.
- 1932 - Nagisa Oshima was born in Kyoto, Japan. Director, Writer, Editor, Actor, Director [ (TV) Kyoto, My Mother's Place (1991); Max mon amour (1986); Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983) ; Ai no borei (1978) aka Empire of Passion (USA); Ai no corrida (1976) aka Bullfight of Love (Japan: literal English title).. aka Empire of the Senses; The Battle of Tsushima (1975) ; Natsu no imoto (1972)... aka Dear Summer Sister; Shonen (1969)... aka Boy (USA);Nihon shunka-kô (1967)... aka A Treatise on Japanese Bawdy Songs; Ai to kibo no machi (1959)... aka A Street of Love and Hope (literal English title) and many others.].
- 1933 - The Civilian Conservation Corps is established with the mission to relieve rampant unemployment.
- 1933 - El presidente de Uruguay, Gabriel Terra, da un golpe de Estado y disuelve el Parlamento.
- 1933 - Nichita Stănescu was born (d. 1983). Romanian poet.
- 1934 - Richard Chamberlain was born. American actor (Dr. Kildare)
- 1934 - John D. Loudermilk was born. American singer and songwriter
- 1934 - Shirley Jones was born. American singer and actress .
- 1935 - Judith Rossner was born. American author.
- 1935 - Herb Alpert was born. American trumpeter an band leader.
- 1935 – Ruth Escobar was born. Brazilian actress, journalist and politician.
- 1936 - Bob Pulford was born. Canadian hockey player
- 1936 - Marge Piercy was born. American writer
- 1936 - Dokumamushi Sandayu was born. Japanese actor
- 1938 - David Steel was born. Scottish politician.
- 1938 - Michiko Nomura was born. Japanese voice actor
- 1938 - Bill Hicke was born (d. 2005). Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1939 - Zviad Gamsakhurdia was born (d. 1993). Scientist and writer, first President of the Republic of Georgia.
- 1939 - Volker Schlöndorff was born. German film director .
- 1940 - Barney Frank was born. U.S. Representative from Massachusetts
- 1941 - Cox v. New Hampshire : The Supreme Court unanimously upheld the convictions of Jehovah's Witnesses for engaging in a public parade without a license.
- 1942 - Michael Savage was born. American talk radio host and commentator
- 1942 - Ulla Hoffmann was born. Swedish politician.
- 1943 - Christopher Walken was born. American actor.
- 1944 - Japanese Navy Marshal Mineichi Koga dies in the performance of job in the Navy Second Incident.
- 1944 - Pascal Danel was born. French singer and songwriter
- 1945 - Valerie Curtin was born. American actress, writer, and producer.
- 1945 - Gabe Kaplan was born. American actor and comedian.
- 1947 - En Paraguay, las fuerzas rebeldes contra el Gobierno de Higinio Moriñigo son derrotadas en Piripuco.
- 1948 - Rhea Perlman was born. American actress
- 1950 - Ed Marinaro was born. American football player and actor.
- 1950 - Andras Adorjan was born. Hungarian chess player,
- 1952 - Vanessa Del Rio was born. American porn actress.
- 1952 - Wallace H. White, Jr. dies (b. 1877). U.S. Senator from Maine.
- 1953 - Foram descobertos os "Manuscritos do Mar Morto" .
- 1954 - Edwin Armstrong dies (b. 1890). American electrical engineer and inventor.
- 1955 - Robert Vance was born. New Zealand cricketer.
- 1956 - Ralph DePalma dies (b. 1884). Italian-born race car driver.
- 1957 - Marc McClure was born. American actor.
- 1957 - Alan Duncan was born. British politician
- 1963 - Paul Mercurio was born. Australian actor/dancer.
- 1965 - Tom Barrasso was born. American ice hockey player.
- 1965 - Steven T. Seagle was born. American comic-book writer.
- 1966 - Roger Black was born. British athlete.
- 1968 - President Lyndon Johnson announces he will not run for re-election.
- 1968 - Naoya Ogawa was born. Japanese professional wrestler.
- 1968 - Grover Lowdermilk dies (b. 1885). American baseball player.
- 1969 - Steve Smith was born. American basketball player.
- 1969 - Nyamko Sabuni was born. Swedish politician.
- 1969 - Samantha Brown was born. American television host.
- 1971 - Ewan McGregor was born. Scottish actor .
- 1971 - Pavel Bure was born. Russian ice hockey player.
- 1972 - Alejandro Amenábar was born in Santiago. Chilean actor, writer and film director.
- 1972 - Hristos Polihroniou was born. Greek hammer thrower
- 1972 - Meena Kumari, dies (b. 1932). Indian actress.
- 1973 - Bold Forbes was born (d. 2000). Puerto Rican racehorse.
- 1974 - Benjamin Eicher was born. Swiss film director
- 1976 - The New Jersey Supreme Court sets a precedent, ruling that coma patient Karen Anne Quinlan can be taken off life support so she can "die with dignity."
- 1976 - Ashton Moore was born. American porn actress.
- 1976 - Paul Strand dies (b. 1890). American photographer.
- 1977 - Garth Tander was born. Australian racing driver
- 1978 - Tony Yayo was born. American rapper.
- 1978 - Stephen Clemence was born. English footballer.
- 1978 - Jérôme Rothen was born. French footballer
- 1978 - Fernando Horácio Ávalos was born. Argentinian footballer (Nacional Madeira, Portugal)
- 1978 - Charles Best dies (b. 1899). Canadian medical scientist.
- 1979 - Josh Kinney was born. American baseball player.
- 1980 - The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroad operate final train after ordered to be liquidated due to bankruptcy and debt owed to creditors.
- 1980 - Chien-Ming Wang was born. Taiwanese baseball player.
- 1980 - Maaya Sakamoto was born. Japanese voice actor.
- 1980 - Michael Ryder was born. Canadian ice hockey player
- 1980 - Jesse Owens dies in Phoenix, Arizona (b. 1913). American track-and-field legend.
- 1980 - Vladimír Holan dies (b. 1905). Czech poet.
- 1981 - Maarten van der Weijden was born. Dutch swimmer
- 1981 - Enid Bagnold dies (b. 1889). British author and playwright.
- 1982 - Tal Ben Haim was born. Israeli footballer.
- 1982 - Philippe Mexès was born. French footballer.
- 1983 - Paddy McCarthy was born. Irish footballer.
- 1983 - Vlasios Maras was born. Greek gymnast
- 1984 - El presidente de Honduras, Roberto Suazo Córdova, asume el mando temporal de las Fuerzas Armadas.
- 1984 - James Jones was born. American football player.
- 1984 - Ronald Clark O'Bryan dies executed (b. 1944). American murderer.
- 1985 - The first ever WrestleMania is held in New York City's Madison Square Garden.
- 1985 - Jeanine Deckers dies (b. 1933). Belgian nun and singer.
- 1986 - Six metropolitan county councils are abolished in England .
- 1986 - Paulo Machado was born in Porto. Portuguese footballer.
- 1986 - Jerry Paris dies (b. 1925). American actor.
- 1987 - El Papa, Juan Pablo II, llega a Montevideo en su octava visita a Iberoamérica.
- 1988 - Hogan Ephraim was born. English footballer.
- 1989 - Yaser Arafat es proclamado presidente de Palestina por decisión unánime de los 70 miembros del Comité Central de la OLP.
- 1990 - El político español José María Aznar es elegido presidente del Partido Popular.
- 1991 - The Warsaw Pact comes to an end.
- 1991 - British Telecom changes its name into 'BT'.
- 1992 - Boris Yeltsin firma en Moscú el Tratado de la Federación con 18 repúblicas rusas.
- 1992 - A inflação no Brasil atinge um pico recorde de 84,3% no mês. Nos últimos 12 meses a inflação havia chegado a 4.854%
- 1993 - O Conselho de Segurança das Nações Unidas aprovam o uso de força militar na Jugoslávia.
- 1993 - Mitchell Parish dies (b. 1900). American lyricist.
- 1994 - Caden Waidyatilleka was born. American actor
- 1995 - Selena dies (b. 1971). American singer.
- 1996 - Valentino Rossi takes part in his first 125cc Motorcycle Grand Prix race, at Shah Alam, Malaysia.
- 1998 - Netscape gives the code base of its browser under an open-source license agreement, thus creating Mozilla Foundation, a not-for-profit corporation to oversee the development of Mozilla.
- 1998 - Bella Abzug dies (b. 1920). American politician.
- 1998 - Tim Flock dies (b. 1924). American race car driver.
- 1999 - Yuri Knorosov dies (b. 1922). Russian linguist and epigrapher.
- 2000 - Cuffley v. Mickes : The Ku Klux Klan applied to participate in Missouri's Adopt-A-Highway program, but were denied because of their beliefs. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Klan.
- 2002 - 331 Earthquake in Taiwan, which measured 7.1 and killed at least four people.
- 2002 - Barry Took dies (b. 1928). British comedian and writer.
- 2003 - Tommy Seebach dies (b. 1949). Danish singer.
- 2003 - Anne Gwynne dies (b. 1918). American film actress.
- 2003 - H.S.M. Coxeter dies (b. 1907). English-born geometer and author.
- 2003 - Michael Jeter dies. Actor.
- 2003 - Tommy Seebach dies (b. 1949). Danish singer.
- 2005 - After 13 days without her feeding tube, Terri Schiavo dies in Florida. Terri Schiavo fell into a coma brought on buy her bulimia and the loss of blood flow to her brain caused it to die - her cerebral cortex was gone and spinal fluid was all that remains. Terri Schiavo's husband, Michael, wanted the feeding tube removed and said that was what she would have wanted. All courts agreed, but Terri Schiavo's parents fought it - and lost
- 2005 - Stanley J. Korsmeyer dies (b. 1951). American oncologist.
- 2005 - Frank Perdue dies (b. 1920). American poultry farmer.
- 2006 - Giordani Rodrigues dies (b. 1965). Brazilian journalist.
- 2006 - Jackie McLean dies (b. 1931 or 1932). American jazz saxophonist.
- 2006 - Angela Devi dies (b. 1975). American adult model.
- 2007 - Paul Watzlawick dies (b. 1921). Communications & Constructivism Theorist.
- Brasil: Dia da Integração Nacional
|Resultados da 24ª. Jornada|
|28 Mar. 20:30||Vitória de Guimarães||1-0||Marítimo|
|29 Mar. 19:15||Estrela da Amadora||3-1||Académica|
|30 Mar. 16:00||Nacional||2-0||União de Leiria|
|30 Mar. 17:00||Braga||0-0||Leixões|
|30 Mar. 19:00||Belenenses||1-2||FC Porto|
|30 Mar. 19:15||Naval 1º. de Maio||1-4||Sporting|
|30 Mar. 21:15||Benfica||4-1||Paços de Ferreira|
|31 Mar. 19:45||Vitória de Setúbal||-||Boavista|
|2.||Vitória de Guimarães||44||27-23|
|5.||Vitória de Setúbal (*)||37||31-22|
|11.||Estrela da Amadora||28||29-29|
|12.||Naval 1º. de Maio||23||18-39|
|15.||Paços de Ferreira||19||23-40|
|16.||União de Leiria||9||18-44|
Comentários: Os quatro primeiros ganharam e dos cinco últimos só o Leixões não perdeu, empatando, pelo que com referência às grandes decisões está tudo na mesma.
O Porto até esteve a perder no Restelo com o Belenenses a fazer uma boa primeira parte e a marcar por Weldon, mas os portistas viraram o resultado na segunda parte, empatando por Lisandro e ganhando quando a quinze segundos do fim do tempo de desconto um penalty assinalado por Lucílio Baptista deu a Lucho o golo da vitória. Na próxima jornada vencendo o Estrela da Amadora já pode comemorar o tri-campeonato.
No primeiro jogo da jornada na sexta-feira o Guimarães reforçou a candidatura à Liga dos Campeões ao derrotar o Marítimo com um golo também quase no final pelo substituto Roberto (a três minutos do fim).
O Sporting tal como o Porto começou por estar a perder (golo de Marcelinho aos 11') mas a equipa da Naval com uma defesa muito permeável, ao intervalo já perdia por 3-1. Miguel Veloso (de livre directo), Liedson (2) e Yanick Djaló fizeram os golos leoninos.
O Nacional venceu hoje à tarde a União de Leiria por 2-0 e beneficiando da derrota do Marítimo e do facto de o Boavista só jogar amanhã, subiu ao 8º. lugar. O Estrela da Amadora derrotou em casa a Académica por 3-1 e tem a permanência praticamente assegurada, isto porque dos cinco últimos só o Leixões capitalizou um pontinho em Braga, sendo o maior coleccionador de empates do campeonato - 13 em 22 jogos!
Há poucos minutos terminou o Benfica-Paços de Ferreira com o Benfica a reapoderar-se do segundo lugar depois de um triunfo mais difícil do que os números espelham (4-1), apesar da equipa ter jogado melhor do que ultimamente vem fazendo. Ao intervalo o resultado era de 1-1 com boa oposição pacense e de mais alguém (vidé crónica do jogo em separado).
Na próxima jornada o Porto como se disse pode-se sagrar campeão e na luta pelo segundo lugar o Benfica vai ao Bessa e o Guimarães vai a Paços de Ferreira num jogo electrizante e de grande importancia para ambos. O Sporting recebe o Braga depois de a meio da semana (4ª. feira) ter de jogar a primeira-mão dos Quartos de Final da Taça Uefa contra o Rangers.
Há ainda o derby regional madeirense.
|Próxima Jornada - 25ª.|
|4 Abr . 20:30||Paços de Ferreira||-||Vitória de Guimarães|
|5 Abr. 18:45||Académica||-||Vitória de Setúbal|
|5 Abr. 20:45||FC Porto||-||Estrela da Amadora|
|6 Abr. 16:00||Marítimo||-||Nacional|
|6 Abr. 16:00||União de Leiria||-||Naval 1º. de Maio|
|6 Abr. 18:30||Sporting||-||Sp. de Braga|
|6 Abr. 20:45||Boavista||-||Benfica|
|7 Abr. 19:45||Leixões||-||Belenenses|
Na segunda parte o Benfica apareceu menos tranquilo e o Paços de Ferreira num contra-ataque até ameaçou o 1-2. Os pacenses, porém, cediam cantos e mais cantos e foram-se aglomerando na defesa e foi até foi o excesso de jogadores na área que deu o 2-1 ao Benfica. Pois é verdade, Léo (que fez um grande jogo) pela esquerda fez o passe para Cardozo e o remate deste foi desviado no corpo de Mangualde e traíu Peçanha.
A partir do 2-1 o Paços de Ferreira já não demonstrou capacidade de reacção tanto mais que o 3-1 só demorou seis minutos a aparecer num livre directo de Rui Costa que na véspera fez 36 anos. Marcou ainda de novo Rui Costa de cabeça, num golo com culpas para Peçanha, após cruzamento da esquerda de Cristian Rodrigues.
Foi um jogo em que três jogadores estiveram em evidencia: Léo ( o melhor em campo), Cristian Rodriguez (um golo e uma assistencia) e Rui Costa (dois golos). Na próxima época podem estar fora da equipa: o último por abandonar o futebol como jogador, os dois primeiros porque tarda a renovação.
Da arbitragem bastariam os dois lances já referidos para dar nota negativa, mas outros erros mais foram cometidos.
Estádio da Luz, em Lisboa
Árbitro: Elmano Santos ((AF Madeira)
BENFICA – Quim; Nélson, Edcarlos, Katsouranis e Léo; Petit; Maxi Pereira (Di Maria, 59 m), Rui Costa e Cristian Rodriguez; Nuno Gomes (Mantorras, 79 m) e Cardozo (Binya, 86 m).
PAÇOS DE FERREIRA – Peçanha; Mangualde, Rovérsio, Kiko e Chico Silva; Filipe Anunciação, Paulo Sousa e Pedrinha; William (Renato Queirós, 81 m), Wesley (Ricardinho, 71 m) e Cristiano (Edson, 61 m).
Golos: 1-0 Cristian Rodriguez (23 m); 1-1 Wesley (42 m, de grande penalidade); 2-1 Cardozo (68 m); 3-1 Rui Costa (74 m); 4-1, Rui Costa (84 m).
Cartão amarelo a Edcarlos, William, Wesley, Rui Costa, Nuno Gomes, Filipe Anunciação e Mangualde.
Two veiled Emirati women and a foreign woman wearing a revealing dress at horse racing's 2008 Dubai World Cup at Nad al-Sheba in Dubai on March 29, 2008. The Dubai World Cup is the richest horse race in the world.
Tracy Chapman born on 30 March 1964 in Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Norah Jones was born on 30 March 1979 in Brooklin, New York City, New York, USA
On this day 30th March were also born Eric Clapton (1945), Lene Lovich (1949), Celine Dion (1968) and Yalin (1980) ckick here for listen their music
Fui átomo, vibrando entre as forças do Espaço,
Devorando amplidões, em longa e ansiosa espera...
Partícula, pousei... Encarcerado, eu era
Infusório do mar em montões de sargaço.
Por séculos fui planta em movimento escasso,
Sofri no inverno rude e amei na primavera;
Depois, fui animal, e no instinto da fera
Achei a inteligência e avancei passo a passo...
Guardei por muito tempo a expressão dos gorilas,
Pondo mais fé nas mãos e mais luz nas pupilas,
A lutar e chorar para, então, compreendê-las!...
Agora, homem que sou, pelo Foro Divino,
Vivo de corpo em corpo a forjar o destino
Que me leve a transpor o clarão das estrelas!...
Adelino da Fontoura Chaves (n. em Axixá, Maranhão, Brasil a 30 Mar.1859 – m. em Lisboa, Portugal a 02 Maio 1884)
- 1191 - Celestine III was elected pope.
- 1202 - Joachim Van Fiore dies. Italian, founder of Joachimism.
- 1266 - As Vésperas Sicilianas: o povo de Palermo, capital da Sicília, levanta-se contra Carlos de Anjou, após a cerimónia das Vésperas. A revolta terminará com a coroação do rei de Aragão Pedro III, o Grande, chamado para ocupar o trono.
- 1282 - Rebels in Sicily successful overthrew French rule under Charles of Anjou. The rebel leaders wrote to Pope Martin IV for support, but Martin promised to assist Charles in reclaiming control of the island.
- 1326 - Ivan II of Russia was born (d. 1359). Grand Duke of Muscovy.
- 1526 - Konrad Mutian dies (b. 1471). German humanist.
- 1533 - Henry VIII divorces his 1st wife, Catherine of Aragon
- 1540 - Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg dies (b. 1469). German statesman and Archbishop of Salzburg.
- 1544 - El padre Bartolomé de las Casas es consagrado en Sevilla obispo de la diócesis mexicana de Chiapas.
- 1559 - Adam Ries dies (b. 1492). German mathematician.
- 1587 - Ralph Sadler dies (b. 1507). English statesman.
- 1615 - Se otorga a Cervantes autorización real para la impresión de la segunda parte de "El Quijote".
- 1620 - El Papa Paulo V crea la Diócesis Episcopal de Buenos Aires.
- 1640 - John Trenchard was born (d. 1695). English politican.
- 1662 - François le Netel de Boisrobert dies (b. 1592). French poet.
- 1672 - Peter I "the Great" was born. Romanov great tsar of Russia (1682-1725).
- 1681 - Peeter Snyers “le Saint”, was born (d. 04 May 1752). Flemish painter/engraver.
- 1707 - Vauban dies (b. 1633). French architect.
- 1719 - Sir John Hawkins was born (d. 21 May 1789). English writer in music, author of the first history of music.
- 1739 - Maria Josepha of Bavaria was born (d. 1757). Holy Roman Empire Empress.
- 1745 - Antonio Ribeiro dos Santos was born in Massarelos, Porto (d. 16 Jan. 1818 in Lisbon). Portuguese poet.
- 1746 - Francisco Goya [Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes] was born in Fuentedetodos, Spain (d. 16 Apr 1828). Painter /etcher (Naked Maja).
- 1750 - John Stafford Smith was born (d. 1836). English composer.
- 1764 - Pietro Locatelli dies (b. 1695). Italian violinist and composer.
- 1778 - Playwright Voltaire crowned with laurel wreath Id-al-Adha (Islam) .
- 1783 - William Hunter dies (b. 23 May 1718). Scotish anatomist, educator, and medical writer whose high standards of teaching and medical practice took obstetrics from the hands of the midwives and established it as an accepted branch of medicine .
- 1791 - After a proposal by the Académie des sciences (Borda, Lagrange, Laplace, Monge and Condorcet), the French National Assembly finally chose that a metre would be a 1/10 000 000 of the distance between the north pole and the equator.
- 1793 - Juan Manuel de Rosas was born. Argentine politician.
- 1798 - Luise Hensel was born (d. 1876). German poet.
- 1804 - Victor-François, 2nd duc de Broglie dies (b. 1718). Marshal of France.
- 1811 - Robert Wilhelm von Bunsen was born. Chemist and inventor.
- 1811 - El Congreso Constituyente de Colombia, presidido por Jorge Tadeo Lozano, aprueba la Constitución de Cundinamarca.
- 1822 - Florida Territory created in the United States.
- 1823 - Se establece en México el sistema republicano de Gobierno.
- 1828 - François-Louis-David Bocion was born in Lausanne (d. 13 Dec 1890). Swiss painter.
- 1830 - José da Natividade Saldanha dies in Bogotá, Colombia (b. in Santo Amaro do Jaboatão (PE) 8 Sep 1795). Brazilian poet.
- 1832 - Stephen Groombridge dies (b. 7 Jan 1755).English merchant and astronomer, who compiled of a star catalog known by his name. A Catalog of Circumpolar Stars, Reduced to January 1, 1810 was published posthumously in 1838, edited by G. Biddell Airy.
- 1833 - Charles Victor Thirion was born (d. 27 Apr 1878). French artist.
- 1840 - Beau Brummell dies destitute and mad, in Caen, France. English celebrity and dandy.
- 1842 - Anesthesia is used for the first time in an operation (Dr. Crawford Long performed the operation and ether was used).
- 1842 - Marie Louise Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun dies (b. 16 Apr 1755). French Neoclassical painter specialized in Portraits. Starting in 1835, she wrote Souvenirs, her autobiography.
- 1844 - Paul Verlaine was born (d. 1896). French lyric poet (Sagesse Bonbeur)
- 1845 - España firma un tratado con Venezuela, por el que reconoce la independencia y soberanía de este país.
- 1852 - James Theodore Bent was born (d. 5 May 1897). British explorer and archaeologist who excavated the magnificent Iron Age ruined city named the Great Zimbabwe, an ancient site in SE Africa that inspired the name of the country Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia).
- 1853 - Vincent van Gogh was born (d. 29 Jul 1890). Dutch Post-Impressionist painter (Irises)
- 1855 - Violence disrupts first Kansas election .
- 1857 - Leon Charles Thevenin was born (d. 1926). French telegraph engineer.
- 1859 - Adelino Fontoura was born (d. 1884). Brazilian poet and actor.
- 1863 - Danish prince Wilhelm Georg is chosen as King George of Greece.
- 1863 - Auguste Bravais dies (b. 23 Aug 1811). French physicist and mineralogist, best remembered for his work on the lattice theory of crystals.
- 1863 - Mary Whiton Calkins was born (d. 26 Feb 1930). As an educator and psychologist, she was the first American woman to attain distinction in these fields of study. Calkins studied psychology at Harvard as a "guest," since women could not officially register.
- 1864 - Franz Oppenheimer was born (d. 1943). German sociologist.
- 1866 - Peter Philippi was born (d. 1958). German artist.
- 1868 - Koloman Moser was born (d. 18 Oct 1918). Austrian painter.
- 1870 - 15th Amendment passes, guarantees right to vote regardless of race.
- 1872 - Júlio Mário Salusse was born in Bom Jardim (RJ) (d. 30 Jan. 1948). Brazilian poet.
- 1873 - Benedict Augustin Morel dies (b. 22 Nov 1809). Austrian-born French psychologist who introduced the term dementia praecox to refer to a mental and emotional deterioration beginning at the time of puberty. The disorder was renamed schizophrenia in 1908 by the Swiss psychologist Eugen Bleuler. He is the author of "Traité des dégenerescences physiques, intellectuelles et morales de l'espèce humaine" (1857).
- 1875 - Dalmacio Vélez Sarsfield dies. Argentine statesman and author of the Civil Code (Código Civil).
- 1875 - Jonathan Campbell was born (d. 1942). Film pioneer.
- 1876 - Antoine-Jérôme Balard dies (b. 30 Sept 1802). French chemist who in 1826 discovered the element bromine, determined its properties, and studied some of its compounds. Later he proved the presence of bromine in sea plants and animals .
- 1879 - Coen de Koning was born (d.1954). Dutch speed skater.
- 1879 - Thomas Couture dies (b. 21 Dec 1818). French painter and teacher.
- 1880 - Sean O'Casey was born (d. 1964). Irish dramatist, playwright (Playboy of the Western World) .
- 1882 - Melanie Klein was born. Austrian-British psycho analysis.
- 1882 - Ramón Mesonero Romanos dies. Writer.
- 1885 - Las tropas invasoras guatemaltecas son derrotadas por las salvadoreñas en una batalla librada en los márgenes del río Coco.
- 1885 - Russian troops inflicted a crushing defeat on Afghan forces Ak Teppe despite orders not to fight.
- 1886 - Edmund Blampied was born (d. 1966). English painter.
- 1886 - Joseph-Alfred Mousseau dies (b. 1838). French Canadian politician.
- 1891 - Arthur William Sidney Herrington was born (d. 6 Sep 1970). American engineer and manufacturer who developed a series of military vehicles, the best known of which was the World War II jeep.
- 1892 - Stefan Banach was born (d. 31 Aug 1945). Polish mathematician who founded modern functional analysis and helped develop the theory of topological vector spaces.
- 1892 - Fortunato Depero was born (d. 1960). Italian artist.
- 1892 - Erhard Milch was born (d. 1972). German field marshal.
- 1894 - Sergey Ilyushin was born (d. 1977). Russian aerospace engineer.
- 1895 - British inventor Birt Acres films Oxford-Cambridge.
- 1895 - Jean Giono was born (d. 1970). French author.
- 1899 - Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay was born (d. 1970). Well known Bengali writer.
- 1900 - El Gobierno argentino decreta la reforma de algunas frases del himno nacional que España podría considerar ofensivas.
- 1902 - Ted Heath was born (d. 1969). British musician and band leader.
- 1902 - Brooke Astor was born. American philanthropist.
- 1903 - Countee Cullen was born (d. 1946). American poet.
- 1904 - Ripper Collins was born (d. 1970). Baseball player.
- 1905 - Albert Pierrepoint was born (d. 192). English executioner (d. 1992).
- 1907 - Friedrich August Freiherr von der Heydte was born (d. 1994). German Luftwaffe Officer.
- 1910 - Josef Marcinkiewicz was born (d. 1940). Polish mathematician.
- 1911 - Lötschberg tunnel in Switzerland (13,735 meter) completed.
- 1911 - Ellen Swallow Richards dies (b. 3 Dec 1842). Ellen Henrietta Swallow was an American chemist and founder of the home economics movement in the United States.
- 1912 - Karl May dies (b. 1842). German author, novelist.
- 1913 - Frankie Laine was born. American singer.
- 1913 - Marc Davis was born (d. 2000). American animator.
- 1913 - Richard Helms was born (d. 2002). American Central Intelligence Agency director.
- 1914 - John Henry Poynting dies (b. 9 Sep 1852).British physicist who introduced a theorem (1884-85) that assigns a value to the rate of flow of electromagnetic energy known as the Poynting vector, introduced in his paper "On the Transfer of Energy in the Electromagnetic Field"(1884).
- 1916 - El músico Enrique Granados muere a bordo del Sussex, torpedeado por los alemanes.
- 1916 - Pancho Villa killed 172 at the Guerrero garrison in Mexico.
- 1922 - Turhan Bey was born. Turkish-Czechoslovakian actor.
- 1923 - Milton Acorn was born (d. 1986). Canadian poet.
- 1925 - Stalin supported rights of non-Serbian Yugoslavians.
- 1925 - Rudolf Steiner dies. Austrian philosopher udolf Steiner dies.
- 1926 - Thiago de Mello was born. Brazilian poet.
- 1926 - Werner Torkanowsky was born (d. 1992). German conductor.d.
- 1927 - Se publica en Madrid la "Antología poética en honor de Góngora", recopilada por Gerardo Diego.
- 1927 - Peter Marshall was born. American game show host
- 1928 - Robert Badinter was born. French politician.
- 1928 - Tom Sharpe was born. English satirical author
- 1929 - Richard Dysart was born. American actor.
- 1929 - Thomas Tuke dies (b. 12 Jun 1858). British painter .
- 1930 - John Astin was born. American actor.
- 1930 - Rolf Harris was born. Australian artist, entertainer.
- 1930 - Peter Marshall was born. American game show host.
- 1930 - John Astin was born. American actor.
- 1931 - Aleksey Vasilyevich Sorokin was born. Russian cosmonaut.
- 1932 - Amelia Earhart is 1st woman to fly solo cross the Atlantic.
- 1932 - Ted Morgan was born. Swiss-born writer.
- 1933 - Jean-Claude Brialy was born. French actor and director.
- 1935 - Karl Berger was born. German musicologist and musician
- 1935 - Willie Galimore was born (d. 1964). American football player.
- 1936 - Conchita Supervía dies (b. 1895). Spanish opera singer.
- 1937 - Warren Beatty was born in Richmond VA - USA. Actor and director (actor: Splendor in the Grass, The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, Bonnie and Clyde, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Parallax View, Shampoo, Heaven Can Wait, Reds, Dick Tracy, Bulworth, Town and Country; Academy Award-winning director: Reds ; Heaven Can Wait, Dick Tracy, Bulworth; Irving G. Thalberg Memorial [Academy] Award ).
- 1940 - The Japanese set up a puppet government called Manchuko in Nanking, China.
- 1940 - Jerry Lucas was born. American basketball player.
- 1941 - The U.S. seized Italian, German and Danish ships in 16 ports.
- 1941 - Graeme Edge was born in Rochester, Staffordshire. Musician (drums: "The Moody Blues" : Nights in White Satin, LP: Kick Off Your Muddy Boots, Long Distance Voyager).
- 1943 - Jan Bytnar dies (b. 1921). Polish activist.
- 1943 - Maciej Aleksy Dawidowski dies (b. 1920). Polish activist.
- 1944 - Sir Charles Vernon Boys dies (b.15 Mar 1855). English physicist and inventor of sensitive instruments.
- 1945 - 289 anti-fascists murdered by Nazis in Rombergpark Dortmund .
- 1945 - A cidade polaca de Danzig foi tomada pelas tropas soviéticas.
- 1945 - Eric Clapton was born. British guitarist/singer.
- 1946 - Academy Award radio, an anthology radio show on CBS, debuts on this day.
- 1947 - Ryszard Kotla was born. Polish travel writer and activist, tour guide, journalist, academic teacher, engineer.
- 1947 - Arthur Machen dies (b. 1863). Author.
- 1947 - Rioting between Hindus and Muslims in Bombay leave 40 dead and more than 100 wounded.
- 1948 - Mervyn King was born. British economist.
- 1948 - Mahatma Gandhi assassinated in New Delhi .
- 1949 - Lene Lovich was born on Detroit, Michigan. American singer
- 1949 - Naomi Sims was born. American fashion model and businesswoman
- 1949 - Liza Frulla was born. Quebec politician
- 1949 - Marcia Ball was born. Blues pianist .
- 1949 - José Natividad González Parás was born. Mexican politician.
- 1949 - Friedrich Bergius dies (b. 11 Oct 1884). German chemist, who invented converting coal dust and hydrogen directly into gasoline and lubricating oils without isolating intermediate products, (Stuttgart, 25 June 1921). For his work in developing the chemical high pressure hydrogenation method necessary for this process he shared the 1931 Nobel Prize for Chemistry with Carl Bosch of Germany.
- 1950 - The invention of the phototransistor was announced. This was a transistor operated by light rather than electric current, invented by Dr. John Northrup Shive of the Bell Telephonke Laboratories at Murray Hill, N.J. .
- 1950 - Robbie Coltrane was born. Scottish actor and comedian.
- 1950 - Léon Blum dies (b. 1872). French prime minister.
- 1951 - Yves Séguin was born. Quebec politician
- 1952 - Peter Knights was born. Australian footballer and coach.
- 1953 - Einstein announced his revised unified field theory.
- 1953 - Cydney Bernard was born. American film producer .
- 1954 - Yonge Street subway line opens in Toronto. It is the first subway in Canada.
- 1954 - Nascimento de Rosi Campos (Rosângela Martins Campos), atriz brasileira, em Bragança Paulista-SP.
- 1954 - Fritz Wolfgang London dies (b. 7 Mar 1900). German-American physicist who, with Walter Heitler, devised the first quantum mechanical treatment of the hydrogen molecule, while working with Schrödinger at the University of Zurich.
- 1955 - 27th Academy Awardst at The RKO Pantages Theater in Los Angeles : "On the Waterfront",(Sam Spiegel, producer) won Oscars for Best Picture, Director (Elia Kazan), Actor (Marlon Brando), Supporting Actress (Eva Marie Saint) and more (art direction, cinematography, film editing, writing). Grace Kelly was voted Best Actress for "The Country Girl" . Best Supporting Actor was Edmond O’Brien for "The Barefoot Contessa" and Best Music/Song Oscars went to Jule Styne (music), Sammy Cahn (lyrics) for "Three Coins in the Fountain" from the flick of the same name.
- 1955 - Randy VanWarmer was born (d. 2004). American singer, guitarist and songwriter
- 1956 - Bill Butler was born. Scottish politician.
- 1957 - Paul Reiser was born. American actor.
- 1958 - Maurice LaMarche was born. Canadian voice actor.
- 1959 - Peter Ellis was born. Convicted child abuser
- 1959 - Sabine Meyer was born. German clarinetist
- 1959 - Daniil Andreev dies (b. 1906). Russian writer and mystic.
- 1961 - Doug Wickenheiser was born (d. 1999). Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1962 - MC Hammer was born. America rap musician.
- 1962 - MC Hammer was born. American rapper.
- 1964 - Merv Griffin's game show Jeopardy! makes its debut on television. Art Fleming hosts the first version, on NBC.
- 1964 - Tracy Chapman was born. Grammy Award-winning folk, pop singer-songwriter Singer (Freedom Now, I Got a Fast Car).
- 1964 - Ian Ziering was born. American actor.
- 1964 - Dave Ellett was born. Canadian hockey player.
- 1964 - Vlado Bozinovski was born. Australian former footballer
- 1964 - Nascimento de Vera Zimmermmann (Vera Alice Santos Zimmermann), atriz brasileira, em Santos-SP.
- 1965 - Piers Morgan was born. British journalist
- 1965 - Philip Showalter Hench dies (b. 28 Feb 1896). American physician who was one of the leaders in American rheumatology. He shared the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1950(with Edward C. Kendall and Tadeus Reichstein of Switzerland) for discoveries relating to the hormones of the adrenal cortex, their structure and biological effects .
- 1966 - Efstratios Grivas was born. Greek chess grandmaster and author
- 1966 - Maxfield Parrish dies (b. 1870). American artist.
- 1966 - Newbold Morris dies (b. 1902). American politician.
- 1967 - Christopher Bowman was born (d. 2008). American figure skater.
- 1967 - Megumi Hayashibara was born. Japanese seiyū.
- 1967 - Jean Toomer dies (b. 1894). American writer.
- 1968 - General Ludvik Svoboda was elected president of Czechoslovakia.
- 1968 - Donna D'Errico was born. Actress (Baywatch) model, playmate (September 1995) .
- 1968 - Céline Dion was in Québec. Canadian singer (I'm Your Woman).
- 1968 - Bobby Driscoll dies (b. 1937). American actor.
- 1971 - Adam Bennett was born. Canadian ice hockey player.
- 1971 - Mark Consuelos was born. American actor.
- 1972 - Northern Ireland's provincial government and parliament were suspended and Britain imposed direct rule from London for one year.
- 1972 - Mili Avital was born. Israeli-American actress.
- 1972 - Karel Poborský was born. Czeck footballer.
- 1972 - Gabriel Heatter dies (b. 1890). American radio commentator.
- 1973 - Ellsworth Bunker resigned as U.S. ambassador to South Vietnam, and was succeeded by Graham A. Martin.
- 1973 - Jan Koller was born. Czech footballer.
- 1973 - Matthew Pritchard was born. Welsh Stuntman.
- 1975 - Da Nang fell as 100,000 South Vietnamese soldiers surrender after being abandoned by their commanding officers. As the North Vietnamese forces moved toward Saigon, desperate South Vietnamese soldiers mobbed rescue jets. General Vo Nguyen Giap masterminded the North Vietnamese victory.
- 1975 - Bahar Soomekh was born. American actress
- 1976 - España: se emplea el vasco en el Ayuntamiento de San Sebastián, después de 40 años.
- 1976 - Obadele Thompson was born. Barbadian athlete .
- 1976 - Ty Conklin was born. American ice hockey player.
- 1976 - Obadele Thompson was born. Barbadian athlete.
- 1977 - Trans World Airlines v. Hardison: The Supreme Court decided 7-2 that TWA went far enough in attempting to accommodate Hardison's religious beliefs and that the company was justified in firing him when he refused to comply with his work assignments.
- 1977 - Abdel Halim Hafez dies (b. 1929). Egyptian singer and actor.
- 1977 - Sergey Ilyushin dies (b. 1894). Russian aerospace engineer.
- 1978 - Chris Paterson was born. Scottish rugby player.
- 1979 - Norah Jones was born. American singer and pianist.
- 1979 - Simon Webbe was born. English singer.
- 1979 - José María Velasco Ibarra dies. Equatorian politic.
- 1980 - Se constituye en la ciudad de Guernica el Parlamento Vasco.
- 1980 - Paul Wall was born. American rapper.
- 1980 - Ricardo Osorio was born. Mexican footballer.
- 1980 - Yalin was born. Turkish singer and songwriter
- 1981 - DeWitt Wallace dies (b. 1889). American publisher.
- 1982 - Pitbull was born. American latin rapper.
- 1982 - Space Shuttle program: STS-3 Mission completed with the landing of Columbia at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico.
- 1982 - Jason Dohring was born. American actor.
- 1983 - The 5-day workweek and 8-hour day are officially established in Greece.
- 1983 - Scott Moffatt was born. Canadian singer and songwriter
- 1983 - Davis Romero was born. Panamanian baseball player
- 1983 - Jérémie Aliadière was born. French footballer
- 1983 - Zach Gowen was born. American professional wrestler
- 1984 - Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School v. Grumet: The Supreme Court found that a school district boundary was unconstitutionally drawn to deliberately aid a particular religious group.
- 1984 - Mario Ancic was born. Croatian tennis player.
- 1984 - Anna Nalick was born. American singer and songwriter.
- 1984 - Karl Rahner dies (b. 1904). German theologian.
- 1985 - Harold Peary dies (b. 1908). American actor and singer.
- 1986 - Una mujer sometida en Londres a fecundación "in vitro", Linda Jacobsen, da a luz quintillizos.
- 1986 - Sergio Ramos was born. Spanish footballer
- 1986 - Beni Arashiro was born. Japanese singer
- 1986 - James Cagney dies at his Stanfordville NY farm (b. 1899); American Academy Award actor (Public Enemy, Angels With Dirty Faces, Yankee Doodle Dandy ...).
- 1987 - 59th Academy Awards Cerimony took place at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion of the Los Angeles Music Center. Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn and Paul Hogan ("Crocodile Dundee") hosted. : Best Picture "Platoon" (Arnold Kopelson, producer); Best Director: Oliver Stone for "Platoon"; Best Actor : Paul Newman ( for "The Color of Money"); Best Actress: Marlee Matlin for "Children of a Lesser God"; Best Supporting Actor: Michael Caine for "Hannah and Her Sisters"; Best Supporting Actress: Dianne Wiest for "Hannah and Her Sisters" and Best Music/Song: Giorgio Moroder (music), Tom Whitlock (lyrics) for "Take My Breath Away" from "Top Gun". And HBO (Home Box Office) earned its first Oscar as "Down and Out in America" tied for Best Documentary feature.
- 1988 - Edgar Faure dies (b. 1908). French politician.
- 1989 - Sreya was born. Indian actress
- 1992 - Dimite el Gobierno brasileño por denuncias de corrupción del presidente, Fernando Collor.
- 1992 - 64th Academy Awards. Billy Crystal was host. "The Silence of the Lambs" won five Oscars, including Best Picture, the Best Director Oscar for Jonathan Demme, the Best Actor for Anthony Hopkins and the Best Actress for Jodie Foster. Jack Palance won Best Supporting Actor for playing Curly in "City Slickers" and the Best Supporting Actress Oscar was claimed by Mercedes Ruehl for "The Fisher King".
- 1992 - Incorporação no Exército das primeiras mulheres.
- 1992 - Manolis Andronikos dies (b. 23 Oct 1919). Greek archaeologist who discovered ancient royal tombs in northern Greece, possibly belonging to the Macedonian King Philip II, the father of Alexander III the Great.
- 1993 - In Sarajevo, two Serb militiamen were sentenced to death for war crimes committed in Bosnia.
- 1993 - Jamaican premier Percival Patterson wins parliamentary election .
- 1994 - Serbs and Croats signed a cease-fire to end their war in Croatia while Bosnian Muslims and Serbs continued to fight each other.
- 1995 - Pope John Paul II issued the 11th encyclical of his papacy in which he condemned abortion and euthanasia as crimes that no human laws could legitimize.
- 1997 - José Rovirosa dies. Mexican film director and producer.
- 1997 - Steve Elkington wins Golf's Players Championship .
- 1998 - Armenia: Prime Minister Robert Kocharian won the runoff vote with 59%.
- 1998 - In Britain the Rolls-Royce company of Vickers PLC was sold to BMW of Germany for $570 million.
- 1998 - El tenista chileno Marcelo Ríos se ubica primero en la clasificación de la ATP.
- 1999 - Michel Etcheverry dies (b. 16 Dec 1919). French actor.
- 1999 - Gary Morton dies (b. 1924). American film and television producer.
- 1999 - A jury in Portland, Oregon orders Phillip Morris to pay $81,000,000 to the family of a man who died of lung cancer after smoking Marlboros for four decades.
- 2001 - David Waters is sentenced for the murders of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, her son Jon Garth, and her granddaughter Robin O'Hair.
- 2002 - A suicide bomber, Mohammad Salahat (22), struck in Tel Aviv and 32 people were injured. Israeli troops sealed Arafat in his Ramallah compound. A Hamas suicide bomber killed 15 Israelis at the Matza restaurant in Haifa.
- 2002 - The Angola government and Unita signed a preliminary cease-fire agreement. The deal carved up the nation’s diamond mines among officials in Luanda and the rebels.
- 2002 - Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon dies (b. 1900). Queen Mother of the United Kingdom.
- 2003 - A law banning cigarette smoking in all places of employment, including restaurants and bars, went into effect in New York City.
- 2003 - In Netanya, Israel, Rami Ghanem (20), a Palestinian suicide bomber, exploded near the London Café and at least 30 people were injured. The Islamic Jihad called the attack "Palestine's gift to the heroic people of Iraq."
- 2003 - Rudolf Walter Leonhardt dies. German journalist.
- 2003 - Valentin Pavlov dies (b. 1937). Prime minister of the Soviet Union.
- 2003 - Michael Jeter dies (b. 1952). American actor.
- 2004 - Hubert Gregg dies (b. 1914). British broadcaster.
- 2004 - Michael King dies (b. 1945). New Zealand historian.
- 2004 - Timi Yuro dies (b. 1940). American singer.
- 2004 - Alistair Cooke dies (b. 1908). English-born journalist, television host and author. His books included "Alistair Cooke's America" (1972).
- 2004 - A boat carrying 107 people sank during the crossing from Somalia to Yemen and only four other people, including two crew members, were rescued.
- 2005 - Robert Creeley dies in Odessa (b. 1926). American poet.
- 2005 - Milton Green dies (b. 1913). American athlete.
- 2005 - Fred Korematsu dies (b. 1919). American civil rights activist.
- 2005 - O. V. Vijayan dies (b. 1930). Indian author and cartoonist.
- 2005 - Derrick Plourde dies (b. 1971). American punk drummer.
- 2006 - Ugadi: Hindu New Years Day. Many believe that Brahma started the creation on this day.
- 2006 - UK Terrorism Act 2006 becomes law.
- 2006 - Ana Montenegro dies (b. 1915). Braziilian journalist and poet.
- 2006 - Red Hickey dies (b. 1917). American football coach.