Dezembro, dia pluvioso. Vem
Deste céu de burel um spleen mortal
Onde as almas se atolam como alguém
Que caísse num vasto lodaçal.
Olho em torno de mim: as cousas mesmas
Têm um ar de desgosto sem remédio...
E as horas vão, morosas como lesmas,
Rastejando por sobre o nosso tédio.
O véu cinzento e denso que se espalha
Lá por fora, empanando as perspectivas.
Dir-se-á também que as almas amortalha
E afoga as suas vibrações mais vivas.
Lisboa, Edições Ática, 1973 (1ª ed.)
Roberto Augusto de Mesquita Henriques (n. Santa Cruz das Flores, 19 de Junho de 1871 — m. Santa Cruz das Flores, 31 de Dezembro de 1923)
Ler do mesmo autor neste blog:
Aves do Mar
- 0192 - Lucius Aurelius Commodus dies murdered (b. 0161). Roman Emperor.
- 0335 - Pope Silvester I, o 33rd pope.
- 0406 - Vandals, Alans and Suebians cross the Rhine, beginning an invasion of Gallia.
- 0535 - Byzantine General Belisarius completes the conquest of Sicily, defeating the Ostrogothic garrison of Syracuse, and ending his consulship for the year.
- 0695 - Muhammad bin Qasim was born (d. 0715). Syrian general.
- 1164 - Margrave Ottokar III of Styria dies (b. 1124).
- 1194 - Leopold V of Austria dies killed at a tournament in Graz.
- 1229 - James I of Aragon the Conqueror enters Medina Mayurqa (nowadays Palma de Mallorca, Spain) thus consuming the Christian conquest of the island of Mallorca.
- 1297 - Humphrey de Bohun, 3rd Earl of Hereford dies (b. 1249). English soldier.
- 1302 - Frederick III, Duke of Lorraine dies (b. 1238).
- 1378 - Pope Callixtus III was born (d. 1458).
- 1384 - John Wycliffe dies. English philosopher, theologian and religious reformator.
- 1424 - Thomas Beaufort, 1st Duke of Exeter dies. English military leader.
- 1460 - Edmund, Earl of Rutland dies executed (b. 1443). Brother of Kings Edward IV of England and Richard III of England.
- 1460 - Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury dies (b. 1400). English politician.
- 1491 - Jacques Cartier was born (d. 1557). French explorer.
- 1492 - Jews are expelled from Sicily.
- 1510 - Bianca Maria Sforza dies (b. 1472). Wife of Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1514 - Andreas Vesalius was born (d. 1564). Flemish anatomist who, as a university teacher insisted on conducting detailed dissections on human cadavers personally ( "De humani corporis fabrica") .
- 1535 - William Skeffington dies (b. 1465). Lord Deputy of Ireland.
- 1553 - Pedro de Valdivia funda en Chile los fuertes de Arauco, Puren, Tucapel y la ciudad de Los Confines o Angol.
- 1568 - Shimazu Tadayoshi dies (b. 1493). Japanese daimyo.
- 1572 - Emperor Go-Yozei of Japan was born (d. 1617).
- 1575 - Pierino Belli dies (b. 1502). Italian soldier and jurist.
- 1583 - Thomas Erastus dies (b. 1524). Swiss theologian.
- 1588 - Fray Luis de Granad dies in Lisbon. Spanish ascetic writer.
- 1599 - British East India Company is chartered.
- 1610 - Ludolph van Ceulen dies (b. 1540). German mathematician.
- 1650 - Dorgon dies (b. 1612). Chinese emperor.
- 1660 - James II of England became Duke of Normandy by King Louis XIV.
- 1668 - Herman Boerhaave was born (d. 1738). Dutch humanist and physician.
- 1673 - Oliver St John dies. English statesman and judge.
- 1679 - Giovanni Alfonso Borelli dies (b. 1608). Italian physiologist who was the first to explain muscular movement and other body functions according to the laws of statics and dynamics. ["De motu animalium (Rome, 1680)].
- 1687 - The first Huguenots set sail from France to the Cape of Good Hope.
- 1691 - Dudley North dies (b. 1641). English economist.
- 1695 - A window tax is imposed in England, causing many shopkeepers to brick up their windows to avoid the tax.
- 1719 - John Flamsteed dies (b. 1646). English astronomer who established the Greenwich Observatory, as one of a group of scientists who convinced King Charles II to build a national observatory.
- 1720 - Charles Edward Stuart was born (d. 1788). Pretender to the British throne.
- 1738 - Charles Cornwallis was born (d. 1805). 1st Marquess Cornwallis, British general.
- 1741 - Isabella Maria of Parma was born (d. 1763). Empress of Germany.
- 1742 - Karl III Philip, Elector Palatine dies (b. 1661)
- 1744 - James Bradley announced the discovery of Earth's motion of nutation, or wobbling.
- 1753 - Alexandre de Gusmão dies in Lisbon (b. in Santos, São Paulo, Brazil in 1695). Diplomat and politician.
- 1763 - Pierre-Charles Villeneuve was born (d. 1806). French admiral.
- 1769 - Silvestre Pinheiro Ferreira was born (d. 1846). Portuguese philosopher.
- 1784 - Para reforzar la lucha contra los piratas, Carlos III establece la pena de galeras en España.
- 1799 - Jean-François Marmontel dies (b. 1723). French historian and writer.
- 1805 - Marie de Flavigny best known for Daniel Stern was born. French writer.
- 1815 - George G. Meade was born (d. 1872). American Civil War general.
- 1816 - Sir William Withey Gull was born (d. 1890); A leading English physician of his time, lecturer and physician at Guy's Hospital, London, and an outstanding clinical teacher.
- 1830 - Alexander Smith was born (d. 1867). Scottish poet.
- 1830 - José Elias Garcia was born (d. 1891). Portuguese politician. President of the Municipal Chamber of Lisbon.
- 1830 - Isma'il Pasha was born (d. 1895). Governor of Egypt.
- 1832 - Junqueira Freire was born in Salvador, Bahia (d. 24 Jun 1855). Brazilian poet.
- 1838 - D. Luís I was born in Lisbon (d. 19 Oct 1889). King of Portugal.
- 1846 - Portugal: Os miguelistas são completamente derrotados em Braga, tendo o seu comandante, Macdonell sido preso e morto em 30 de Janeiro de 1847 (O liberalismo em Portugal).
- 1857 - King Kelly was born (d. 1894). American baseball player.
- 1860 - Manuel Lopes Rodrigues was born (d. 1917). Brazilian painter.
- 1864 - Robert Grant Aitken was born (d.1951). American astronomer who specialized in the study of double stars, of which he discovered more than 3,000.
- 1868 - É ocupada Assunção, a capital do Paraguai, por uma coluna brasileira sob o comando do Coronel Hermes Ernesto da Fonseca.
- 1869 - Henri Matisse was born (d. 1954). French painter and graphic artist. Along with Picasso, Matisse is considered one of the two foremost artists of the modern period. His contribution to 20th-century art is inestimable.
- 1872 - Aleksis Kivi dies (b. 1834). Finnish author.
- 1877 - Lawrence Beesley was born (d. 1967). English journalist and author.
- 1877 - Gustave Courbet dies (b. 1819). French painter.
- 1878 - Elizabeth Arden was born in Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada (d. 1966). Beautician, business executive.
- 1878 - Horacio Silvestre Quiroga was born in Salto. Uruguayan writer
- 1879 - Thomas Edison gave the first public demonstration of an electric incandescent lamp.
- 1880 - Fred Beebe was born (d. 1957). American baseball player.
- 1881 - Max Pechstein was born (d. 1955). German painter and graphic artist.
- 1882 - Martin O'Meara was born (d. 1935). Australian soldier.
- 1884 - Bobby Byrne was born (d. 1964). American baseball player.
- 1885 - Princess Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein was born (d. 1970).
- 1888 - Samson Raphael Hirsch dies (b. 1808). German rabbi.
- 1889 - Ion Creangă dies. Romanian writer.
- 1890 - Francisca Carrasco Jiménez (Pancha) dies (b. 1816). "Defensora de lasLibertades Patrias" de Costa Rica.
- 1891 - Samuel Ajayi Crowther, a famous Nigerian missionary dies on this day.
- 1894 - Pola Negri was born (d. 1987). Polish actress.
- 1894 - Thomas Joannes Stieltjes dies (b. 1856). Dutch mathematician.
- 1898 - Sir John Eric Sidney Thompson was born (d. 1975). He was a leading English ethnographer of the Mayan people.
- 1899 - Silvestre Revueltas was born (d. 1940). Mexican composer.
- 1902 - Lionel Daunais was born (d. 1982). Quebec singer and composer.
- 1902 - Candido López dies in Baradero, Buenos Aires. Argentine painter.
- 1903 - Nathan Milstein was born (d. 1992). Ukrainian violinist.
- 1904 - Umm Kulthum was born (d. 1975). Egyptian singer and actress.
- 1905 - Jule Styne was born (d. 1994). English-born composer.
- 1905 - Jule Styne was born (d. 1994). English-born composer.
- 1905 - Waldemar Seyssel was born in Jaguariaiva, Paraná (d. 23 May 2005). Brazilian comedian and actor.
- 1909 - Manhattan Bridge Opens.
- 1909 - Jonah Jones was born (d. 2000). American jazz trumpeter.
- 1910 - Carl Dudley was born (d. 1973). American film director.
- 1910 - John Moisant dies (b. 1868). American aviator.
- 1910 - Arch Hoxsey dies (b. 1884). American aviator.
- 1911 - Marie Curie receives her 2nd Nobel Prize.
- 1911 - Dal Stivens was born (d. 1997). Australian novelist.
- 1912 - Maj-Gen John Frost was born (d. 1993). British para commander.
- 1913 - Seth Carlo Chandler dies (b. 1846). American astronomer best known for his discovery (1884-85) of the Chandler Wobble, a complex movement in the Earth's axis of rotation (now refered to as polar motion) that causes latitude to vary with a period of 14 months.
- 1916 - The Hampton Terrace Hotel in North Augusta, South Carolina, one of the largest and most luxurious hotels in the USA at the time, burns to the ground.
- 1917 - António José Saraiva was born (d. 17 Mar 1993). Portuguese essayst and Professor.
- 1919 - Tommy Byrne was born. American baseball player.
- 1920 - Rex Allen was born (d. 1999). American actor and singer.
- 1921 - Boies Penrose dies (b. 1860). American Senator from Pennsylvania.
- 1923 - The Sahara is traversed by an automobile for the first time.
- 1923 - Se inauguran los servicios aéreos entre Buenos Aires y Montevideo.
- 1924 - Taylor Mead was born. American actor.
- 1926 - Tom Marvolo Riddle was born. English wizard.
- 1928 - Siné was born. French cartoonist.
- 1929 - Jeremy Bernstein was born; American physicist, educator, and writer widely known for the clarity of his writing for the lay reader on the major issues of modern physics.
- 1930 - Odetta was born. American singer.
- 1931 - Bob Shaw was born (d. 1996). Irish writer.
- 1933 - Edward Bunker was born (d. 2005). American author, screenwriter and actor.
- 1934 - Akram Awan was born. Islamic scholar.
- 1934 - Cornelia Maria Clapp dies [b. 1849]; American zoologist and educator whose influence as a teacher was great and enduring in a period when the world of science was just opening to women.
- 1935 - Monopoly was patented, game assigned to Parker Brothers, Inc., by Charles Darrow of Pennsylvania.
- 1935 - Manuel Portela Valladares preside un nuevo Gobierno en España.
- 1936 - Miguel de Unamuno dies (b. 1864). Spanish writer and philosopher.
- 1937 - Anthony Hopkins was born. Welsh actor.
- 1938 - The first breath test for drivers, "drunkometer," was introduced in Indianapolis.
- 1938 - Rosalind Cash was born (d. 1995). American actress.
- 1940 - Arsène d'Arsonval dies (b. 1851). French physician and physicist who was a pioneer in therapeutic use of electricity, heat, and light.
- 1941 - Alex Ferguson was born. Scottish football (soccer) player and well known manager (Manchester United).
- 1941 - Sarah Miles was born. English actress.
- 1943 - John Denver was born (d. 1997). Country/pop musician.
- 1943 - Ben Kingsley was born in Scarborough England; actor (Gandhi, Betrayal, Maurice...).
- 1944 - Taylor Hackford was born. American film producer and director.
- 1945 – Barbara Carrera was born. Nicaraguan actress and model.
- 1945 - Connie Willis was born. American writer.
- 1945 - Diane von Fürstenberg was born. Belgian-born fashion designer.
- 1946 - Pius Ncube was born. Zimbabwean human rights advocate.
- 1947 - Rita Lee was born in São Paulo. Brazilian singer and composer.
- 1947 - Tim Matheson was born. American actor.
- 1948 - Donna Summer was born in Boston. American singer.
- 1948 - René Robert was born. National Hockey League player.
- 1948 - Malcolm Campbell dies (b. 1885). English race car driver.
- 1949 - 18 countries recognize Republic Indonesia.
- 1949 - Ellen Datlow was born. American editor.
- 1949 - Susan Shwartz was born. American writer.
- 1951 – The Marshall Plan expires after distributing more than $13.3 billion USD in foreign aid to rebuild Europe.
- 1951 - George Thorogood was born. American musician.
- 1953 - James Remar was born. American actor.
- 1953 - Jane Badler was born. American actress.
- 1953 - Albert Plesman dies (b. 1889). Dutch aviation pioneer.
- 1954 - Alex Salmond was born. Scottish politician.
- 1955 -The General Motors Corporation becomes the first American corporation to make over USD $1 billion in a year.
- 1955 - Dawood Ibrahim was born. Indian terrorist.
- 1956 - On December, 31st. in Romania was launched the first TV program.
- 1956 - Steve Rude was born. American comics artist.
- 1956 - Francisco José Tenreiro dies (b. 1921). Poet and government official, São Tomé & Príncipe.
- 1958 - Ernesto "Che" Guevara encabeza la ocupación de Santa Clara. Horas más tarde Fulgencio Batista huye de Cuba.
- 1958 - Bebe Neuwirth was born. American actress.
- 1959 - Phill Kline was born. American politician.
- 1959 - Val Kilmer was born. American actor (The Saint, Top Gun, The Doors).
- 1960 - John Allen Muhammad was born. American serial killer.
- 1960 - Steve Bruce was born. English football player & manager.
- 1961 - The Marshall Plan expired after distributing more than $12 billion in foreign aid to rebuild Europe.
- 1961 - Nina Li Chi was born. Chinese actress.
- 1961 - Rick Aguilera was born. Baseball player.
- 1962 - Heather McCartney was born. British activist.
- 1962 - Pedro Cardoso was born. Brazilian actor.
- 1963 - Konishiki was born. American sumo wrestler.
- 1964 - Michael McDonald was born. American actor, comedian.
- 1964 - Lowri Turner was born. British TV presenter.
- 1964 - Allen D'Nulderf was born. American stuntman.
- 1964 - Bobby Byrne dies (b. 1884). Baseball player.
- 1965 - Fernanda Porto was born. Brazilian singer.
- 1965 - Julie Doucet was born. Canadian underground cartoonist.
- 1965 - Nicholas Sparks was born. American writer.
- 1965 - Gong Li was born. Chinese actress.
- 1966 - Lisa Joyner was born. American entertainment reporter.
- 1968 - Gerry Dee was born. Canadian comedian and actor.
- 1970 - Bryon Russell was born. American basketball player.
- 1971 - US President Richard Nixon signs the National Air Quality Control Act, which calls for a 90% reduction in automobile emissions by 1975. The act also tightened air-pollution controls and fines in other industries.
- 1971 - Brent Barry was born. American basketball player.
- 1971 - Pete Duel dies (b. 1940). American actor.
- 1971 - Marin Sais dies (b. 1890). American actress.
- 1971 - Vikram Sarabhai dies (b. 1919). Indian physicist.
- 1973 - Shandon Anderson was born. American basketball player.
- 1974 - Mario Aerts was born. Belgian cyclist.
- 1974 - Ryan Sakoda was born. Japanese American professional wrestler.
- 1974 - Tony Kanaan was born. Brazilian racing driver.
- 1975 - Pela primeira vez em 51 anos, a corrida de São Silvestre, maratona internacional realizada todos os anos em São Paulo, aceitou a participação de mulheres.
- 1975 - Toni Kuivasto was born. Finnish footballer.
- 1977 - Wardy Alfaro was born. Costa Rican football player.
- 1977 - Sabah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah dies (b. 1924). Ruler of Kuwait.
- 1978 - Papoose was born. African-American rapper.
- 1979 - La Reina Isabel II de Inglaterra nombra caballero de la Orden del Imperio Británico al director de cine Alfred Hitchcock.
- 1979 - Elaine Cassidy was born. Irish actress.
- 1980 - Léopold Sédar Senghor resigns after 20 years as Senegalese president .
- 1980 - Richie McCaw was born.New Zealand rugby player.
- 1980 - Matt Cross was born. American professional wrestler.
- 1980 - Marshall McLuhan dies (b. 1911). Canadian writer.
- 1980 - Raoul Walsh dies (b. 1887). American film director.
- 1981 - Jason Campbell was born. American football player.
- 1981 - Matthew Pavlich was born. Australian football player.
- 1982 - Craig Gordon was born. Scottish footballer.
- 1982 - Luke Schenscher was born. Australian basketball player.
- 1982 - Julio DePaula was born. Dominican baseball player in the United States.
- 1982 - Kurt Otto Friedrichs dies [ b. 1901] German mathematician.His main work was on partial differential equations in mathematical physics.
- 1983 - Nigeria's National Assembly dissolves after military coup.
- 1983 - Jaqueline Carvalho was born. Brazilian volleyball player.
- 1984 - Luciano Jaramillo Trujillo dies. Colombian painter.
- 1985 - Rick Nelson dies (b. 1940). American singer.
- 1985 - João de Araújo Correia dies (b. 1 Jan 1899). Portuguese writer [Contos Bárbaros (1939), Montes Pintados, Contos Durienses, Folhas de Xisto].
- 1986 - Lloyd Haynes dies (b. 1934). American actor.
- 1987 - Javaris Crittenton was born. American basketball player.
- 1987 - Émilie Le Pennec was born. French gymnast.
- 1988 - In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a boat sinks killing 55 people. / No Rio de Janeiro o Bateau Mouche IV afunda na Baía de Guanabara matando 55 pessoas.
- 1988 - Yara Amaral dies (b. 16 Sep 1939). Brazilian actress.
- 1990 - Vasili Lazarev dies (b. 1928). Soviet cosmonaut.
- 1990 - George Allen dies. American football coach.
- 1991 - All official Soviet Union institutions have ceased operations by this date and the Soviet Union is officially dissolved.
- 1991 - The civil war in El Salvador ends.
- 1992 - Czechoslovakia is dissolved, resulting in the creation of the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- 1993 - the last research samples of the smallpox virus (variola) were scheduled to be destroyed. Smallpox was the world's most dreaded plagues until 1977, when it was declared eradicated. However, some scientists who wanted to continue research on the virus stopped the destruction plan. The remaining frozen samples are in Moscow.
- 1994 - Woody Strode dies (b. 1914). American actor and decathlete.
- 1995 - The last strip of the popular comic Calvin and Hobbes is published.
- 1995 - Renuncia del primer ministro italiano Lamberto Dini.
- 1995 - O presidente da Argélia Liamine Zeroual indica Ahmed Ouyahia como seu novo primeiro-ministro.
- 1997 - Quaker Oats settles a lawsuit involving the immoral use of child subjects in radioactivity experiments circa 1945-56.
- 1997 - Microsoft buys Hotmail E-mail service.
- 1997 - Floyd Cramer dies (b. 1933). American musician.
- 1997 - Billie Dove dies (b. 1903). American actress.
- 1997 - Michael Kennedy dies (b. 1958). American politician.
- 1998 – The European Exchange Rate Mechanism freezes the values of the legacy currencies in the Eurozone, and establishes the value of the euro currency.
- 1999 - Sarah Knauss dies at the age of 119 years - at death, the world's oldest person alive.
- 1999 - Elliot Richardson dies (b. 1920). American politician.
- 2000 - Alan Cranston dies (b. 1914). American politician.
- 2000 - José Greco dies (b. 1918). Italian-born American flamenco dancer and choreographer.
- 2000 - Kenneth L. Pike dies (b. 1912). He was a U.S. linguist and anthropologist known for his studies of the aboriginal languages of Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, New Guinea, Java, Ghana, Nigeria, Australia, Nepal, and the Philippines.
- 2000 - Bill Clinton suscribe el tratado para crear el Tribunal Penal Internacional (TPI) con capacidad para investigar y juzgar a individuos acusados de haber cometido graves delitos contra el Derecho Internacional Comunitario. Su sucesor en la presidencia de los EE.UU., George W. Bush, retirará la participación de los EE.UU. en el tribunal.
- 2000 - Manuel de Rivacoba y Rivacoba dies in Santiago de Chile (b. 1925). Spanish penalist and politician.
- 2001 - Eileen Heckart dies (b. 1919). American actress.
- 2005 - Lisbon-Dakar all terrain veihucules rallye starts from Lisbon, Portugal.
- 2005 - Enrico di Giuseppe dies (b. 1932). American tenor.
- 2005 - Phillip Whitehead dies (b. 1937). British politician.
- 2006 - George Sisler, Jr. dies (b. 1917). American baseball executive.
- 2007 – Bocaue Fire: Seven people injured when a fire razed several fireworks stores in the Municipality of Bocaue, Bulacan, Philippines.
- 2007 – The Massive Big Dig construction project in Boston, Massachusetts ends.
- 2007 – Bill Idelson dies (b. 1919). American actor.
- 2007 – Ettore Sottsass dies (b. 1917). Italian architect and designer.
- 2007 – Kathryn Ish dies (b. 1936). American actress.
- 2007 – Markku Peltola dies (b. 1956). Finnish actor and musician.
- 2007 – Michael Goldberg dies (b. 1924). American painter.
- 2007 – Milton L. Klein dies (b. 1910). Canadian politician.
- 2007 – Tommy Dickson dies (b. 1929). British footballer.
- 2007 – Tony Elliott dies (b. 1959). American football player.
- 2007 - Vítor [Manuel Moreira] Francisco dies (b. 26 May 1951). Portuguese poet and fadist, Terreiro do Fado webmaster.
- 2008 – Donald E. Westlake dies (b. 1933). American author.
- Roman Catholic Church: St. Sylvester I.
- International Solidarity Day (Azerbaijan).
Não, não é louco. O espírito somente
É que quebrou-lhe um elo da matéria.
Pensa melhor que vós, pensa mais livre,
Aproxima-se mais à essência etérea.
Achou pequeno o cérebro que o tinha:
Suas idéias não cabiam nele;
Seu corpo é que lutou contra sua alma,
E nessa luta foi vencido aquele.
Foi uma repulsão de dois contrários;
Foi um duelo, na verdade insano:
Foi um choque de agentes poderosos:
Foi o divino a combater com o humano.
Agora está mais livre. Algum atilho
Soltou-se-lhe do nó da inteligência;
Quebrou-se o anel dessa prisão de carne,
Entrou agora em sua própria essência.
Agora é mais espírito que corpo:
Agora é mais um ente lá de cima;
É mais, é mais que um homem vão de barro:
É um anjo de Deus, que Deus anima.
Agora, sim - o espírito mais livre
Pode subir às regiões supernas:
Pode, ao descer, anunciar aos homens
As palavras de Deus, também eternas.
E vós, almas terrenas, que a matéria
Ou sufocou ou reduziu a pouco,
Não lhe entendeis, por isso, as frases santas,
E zombando o chamais, portanto: - um louco!
Não, não é louco. O espírito somente
É que quebrou-lhe um elo da matéria.
Pensa melhor que vós, pensa mais livre,
aproxima-se mais à essência etérea.
Luís José Junqueira Freire (n. em Salvador, Bahia em 31 Dez 1832; m. na mesma cidade em 24 de Junho de 1855).
Ler do mesmo autor:
Em verdade, ele viveu em tempo de trevas
Os tempos ganharam em luz.
Os tempos ganharam em trevas.
Quando a luz diz: Eu sou as trevas,
Disse a verdade.
Quando as trevas dizem: Eu sou
A luz, não mentem
Trad. João Barrento
in Rosa do Mundo, 2001 Poemas para o Futuro, Assírio Alvim
Heiner Müller (Eppendorf, 9 de janeiro de 1929 — Berlim, 30 de dezembro de 1995)
Open the old cigar-box, get me a Cuba stout,
For things are running crossways, and Maggie and I are out.
We quarrelled about Havanas - we fought o'er a good cheroot,
And I knew she is exacting, and she says I am a brute.
Open the old cigar-box - let me consider a space;
In the soft blue veil of the vapour musing on Maggie's face.
Maggie is pretty to look at - Maggie's a loving lass,
But the prettiest cheeks must wrinkle, the truest of loves must pass.
There's peace in a Larranaga, there's calm in a Henry Clay;
But the best cigar in an hour is finished and thrown away -
Thrown away for another as perfect and ripe and brown -
But I could not throw away Maggie for fear o' the talk o' the town!
Maggie, my wife at fifty - grey and dour and old -
With never another Maggie to purchase for love or gold!
And the light of Days that have Been the dark of the Days that Are,
And Love's torch stinking and stale, like the butt of a dead cigar -
The butt of a dead cigar you are bound to keep in your pocket -
With never a new one to light tho' it's charred and black to the socket!
Open the old cigar-box - let me consider a while.
Here is a mild Manila - there is a wifely smile.
Which is the better portion - bondage bought with a ring,
Or a harem of dusky beauties, fifty tied in a string?
Counsellors cunning and silent - comforters true and tried,
And never a one of the fifty to sneer at a rival bride?
Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close,
This will the fifty give me, asking nought in return,
With only a Suttee's passion - to do their duty and burn.
This will the fifty give me. When they are spent and dead,
Five times other fifties shall be my servants instead.
The furrows of far-off Java, the isles of the Spanish Main,
When they hear my harem is empty will send me my brides again.
I will take no heed to their raiment, nor food for their mouths withal,
So long as the gulls are nesting, so long as the showers fall.
I will scent 'em with best vanilla, with tea will I temper their hides,
And the Moor and the Mormon shall envy who read of the tale of my brides.
For Maggie has written a letter to give me my choice between
The wee little whimpering Love and the great god Nick o' Teen.
And I have been servant of Love for barely a twelvemonth clear,
But I have been Priest of Cabanas a matter of seven year;
And the gloom of my bachelor days is flecked with the cheery light
Of stumps that I burned to Friendship and Pleasure and Work and Fight.
And I turn my eyes to the future that Maggie and I must prove,
But the only light on the marshes is the Will-o'-the-Wisp of Love.
Will it see me safe through my journey or leave me bogged in the mire?
Since a puff of tobacco can cloud it, shall I follow the fitful fire?
Open the old cigar-box - let me consider anew -
Old friends, and who is Maggie that I should abandon you?
A million surplus Maggies are willing to bear the yoke;
And a woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke.
Light me another Cuba - I hold to my first-sworn vows.
If Maggie will have no rival, I'll have no Maggie for Spouse!
Versão em Português
Abram a velha charuteira, dêem-me um Cuba bem fornido;
complicaram-se as coisas, Maggie e eu nos temos desentendido.
Por causa do Havana brigamos, brigamos por um bom charuto,
e eu percebo que ela exagera, e ela então me chama de bruto.
Abram a velha charuteira; que por um instante eu sossegue,
vendo através do véu azul da fumaça o rosto de Maggie.
É bem bonita de se olhar – Maggie, uma amável jovenzinha;
mas belas faces logo murcham e até o mais puro amor definha.
Num Larranaga existe paz, num Henry Clay a calma mora;
mas o melhor charuto logo se acaba, e a gente o deita fora –
deita fora por outro, tão perfeito, e escuro, e bem curtido;
coisa que com Maggie não faço, por medo ao boato e ao alarido.
Maggie, minha esposa aos cinqüenta – grisalha, e velha, e aquele humor! –
e não poder adquirir outra nem por ouro, nem por amor!
Tornada na treva de agora a luz ardente do passado,
e como a guimba de um charuto o lume do Amor apagado –
a guimba extinta de um charuto que no bolso se há de meter,
sem que, fumado até o toco, se tenha outro para acender.
Abram a velha charuteira – deixem-me ao menos refletir.
Aqui um suave Manila, ali uma esposa a sorrir.
O que é melhor: a servidão comprada ao preço de um anel,
ou todo um harém de morenas, cinqüenta, presas a um cordel?
Hábeis e mudos conselheiros, confortadores experientes,
e nem uma só das cinqüenta para esnobar as concorrentes?
Pensamentos de manhã cedo, consolo em épocas de abrolhos,
paz no silêncio do crepúsculo, bálsamo antes que eu feche os olhos,
eis o que as cinqüenta hão de dar-me, sem nada em troca demandar,
com só esta paixão sati: cumprir seu dever e queimar.
Eis o que as cinqüenta hão de dar-me. E, quando extintas e acabadas,
cinco vezes outras cinqüenta novas servas me serão dadas.
Encostas da distante Java e ilhas hispânicas também –
hão de outra vez enviar-me noivas quando acabar o meu harém.
Não me preocupará vesti-las nem tê-las bem alimentadas,
nem quando as gaivotas aninham, nem no outono das chuvaradas.
Vou perfumá-las com baunilha, temperar com chá suas peles;
Mouro e Mórmon terão inveja ao ouvirem a história delas.
Pois Maggie escreveu numa carta que eu escolhesse meu destino
entre o pequeno Amor chorão e o grandioso deus Nico Tino.
E por menos de doze meses do Amor não fui mais que um servente,
mas Sacerdote de Cabanas fui por sete anos certamente.
Meus negros dias de solteiro são coloridos no fulgor
de troncos que queimei somente por Gozo, Amigos, Lida e Ardor.
Se me volto para o futuro que provaremos Maggie e eu,
a única luz que há sobre os pântanos é o duro Amor e o jugo seu.
Terei uma jornada livre, ou nesses pântanos me afogo?
Se o fumo de um charuto o embaça, devo seguir o incerto fogo?
Abram a velha charuteira – deixem-me pensar outra vez;
velhos amigos, quem é Maggie para que eu despreze vocês?
Um bom milhão de Maggies extras aí estão para levar o andor.
Uma mulher é uma mulher, mas um Charuto é puro Odor.
Acendam-me mais outro Cuba – que fiel aos meus votos serei.
Se Maggie não vai ter rivais, nenhuma Maggie esposarei.
(Tradução de Renato Suttana daqui)
Joseph Rudyard Kipling (Bombaim, India, 30 Dec. 1865 - London 18 Jan. 1936)
Ler do mesmo autor, neste blog: If / Se
- 0039 - Tito Flavio Vespasiano was born (d. 0081). Roman emperor.
- 0274 - St Felix I ends his reign as Catholic Pope.
- 1204 - Abû 'Uthmân Sa'îd Hakam al Qurashi was born (d. 1282). Ruler of Minorca.
- 1218 - Richard de Clare, 4th Earl of Hertford dies (b. 1162). English politician.
- 1460 – Edmund, Earl of Rutland (b. 1443) is murdered after batlle. Second son of Richard, Duke of York.
- 1460 - Richard, Duke of York dies killed in battle (b. 1411). Claimant to the English throne.
- 1525 - Jacob Fugger dies (b. 1459). German banker and merchant.
- 1552 - Simon Forman was born (d. 1611). English occultist and astrologer.
- 1572 - Galeazzo Alessi dies (b. 1512). Italian architect.
- 1573 - Giovanni Battista Giraldi dies (b. 1504). Italian writer.
- 1591 - Pope Innocent IX dies (b. 1519).
- 1621 - Saint Job of Maniava dies (b. 1550). Ukrainian Orthodox Saint.
- 1640 - John Francis Regis dies (b. 1597). French saint.
- 1642 - Vicenzo da Filicaja was born (d. 1707). Italian poet.
- 1662 - Archduke Ferdinand Charles of Austria dies (b. 1628).
- 1678 - William Croft was born (d. 1727). English composer.
- 1703 -Tokyo hit by Earthquake; about 37,000 die.
- 1722 - Charles Yorke was born (d. 1770). Lord Chancellor of Great Britain.
- 1724 - Louis-Jean-François Lagrenée was born (d. 1805). French painter.
- 1740 - Princess Elizabeth Caroline of Wales was born (d. 1759).
- 1741 - Bartolomeo Giacometti was born. Composer.
- 1769 - Nicholas Taaffe, 6th Viscount Taaffe dies (b. 1685). Austrian soldier.
- 1781 - John Needham dies (b. 1713). English naturalist and Roman Catholic priest.
- 1785 - Dorothea Lieven was born (d. 1857). Russian noblewoman.
- 1788 - Francesco Zuccarelli dies at 86. Italian rococo painter/etcher.
- 1803 - The Maratha chief Daulat Rao Sindhia and the British signed the Treaty of Surji-Arjungaon.
- 1803 - Francis Lewis dies (b. 1713). Signer of the American Declaration of Independence.
- 1816 - The Treaty of St. Louis is proclaimed.
- 1819 - Theodor Fontane was born (d. 1898). German novelist and poet.
- 1851 - Asa Griggs Candler was born (d. 1929). American soft-drink manufacturer who developed Coca-Cola®.This soft drink began in 1886 when a druggist named John "Doc" Pemberton started selling the syrup that he used in his drugstore fountain drinks. When he died, the formula (still a very well kept secret) was sold to Asa Candler, a marketing genius.
- 1852 - Future U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes married Lucy Ware Webb in Cincinnati.
- 1853 - André Messager was born (d. 1929). French composer.
- 1861 - US banks stops payments in gold.
- 1861 - Henrique de Paiva Couceiro was born in Lisbon. Portuguese militar and Governor of Angola.
- 1868 - Capitulación de las tropas paraguayas ante el duque de Caxias. Francisco Solano López no se rinde y acompañado por un puñado de combatientes, emprende al retirada hacia el norte de Paraguay .
- 1869 - Stephen Butler Leacock was born. British-Canadian writer and economist.
- 1873 - the American Metrological Society was formed in New York City.
- 1873 - Alfred E. Smith was born (d. 1944). American politician.
- 1878 - William Aberhart was born (d. 1943). Canadian politician.
- 1879 - Sri Ramana Maharshi was born (d. 1950). Indian philosopher.
- 1879 - Manuel de Araújo Porto Alegre dies in Lisbon, Portugal (b. 29 Nov 1806). Brazilian painter and writer.
- 1882 - Ángel Roffo was born. Argentine physician and investigator.
- 1883 - Leonardo Coimbra was born in Lixa, Amarante (d. 1936). Portuguese philosopher.
- 1883 - John Henry Dallmeyer dies (b. 1830). German-born British inventor and manufacturer of lenses and telescopes.
- 1888 - U.S. troops intervene in Haiti
- 1890 - The Dressel Missions fight happens today.
- 1890 - Adolfo Ruiz Cortines was born (d. 1973). President of Mexico(1952 - 1958).
- 1896 - José Rizal (b. 1861), Philippine nationalist, is executed by firing squad in Manila.
- 1897 - Alfredo Bracchi was born (d. 1976). Italian author.
- 1898 - Luís da Câmara Cascudo was born in Natal. Brazilian writer, journalist and folklorist.
- 1899 - James Paget dies (b. 1914). English surgeon and physiologist who is considered (with Rudolf Virchow) to be a founder of the science of pathology. Paget discovered (1834) in human muscle the parasitic worm that causes trichinosis. In 1877, he described Paget's disease of bone (osteitis deformans), a chronic disease of bones.
- 1900 - Battleships are sent to Tangiers by the Spanish government as the first part of its intended invasion of Morocco.
- 1904 - Dmitri Kabalevsky was born (d. 1987). Russian composer.
- 1905 - Daniil Kharms was born (d. 1942). Soviet-era surrealist and absurdist poet, writer and dramatist.
- 1906 - Iran becomes a constitutional monarchy.
- 1906 - Carol Reed was born (d. 1976). English film director.
- 1908 - Thomas-Alfred Bernier dies (b. 1844). Canadian lawyer, journalist and senator.
- 1910 - Paul Bowles was born (d. 1999). American composer and author.
- 1911 - Sun Yat-sen is elected the first president of the Republic of China.
- 1911 – Jeanette Nolan was born (d. 1998). American actress.
- 1913 - Tungsten filaments: Dr William David Coolidge patented a method for making ductile tungsten for the purpose of making filaments for electric lamps .
- 1913 - Elyne Mitchell was born (d. 2002). Australian author.
- 1913 - Lucio Agostini Italian-born (d. 1996). Canadian conductor and composer.
- 1914 - Bert Parks was born (d. 1992). Canadian television host.
- 1914 - Jo Van Fleet was born (d. 1996). American actress.
- 1917 - Un cataclismo de grandes dimensiones asola Guatemala, cuya ciudad capital quedó convertida en ruinas.
- 1917 - Seymour Melman was born (d. 2004). American industrial engineer.
- 1918 - The Spartacus League lead by Rosa Luxemburgo was transformed into the Communist Party of Germany at a party congress.
- 1920 -Albania was admitted to the League of Nations as sovereign and independent state.
- 1920 - Jack Lord was born (d. 1998). American actor.
- 1921 - Rashid Karami was born (d. 1987). Lebanese stateman.
- 1923 - Sara Lidman was born (d. 2004). Swedish writer.
- 1923 - Inauguración del primer servicio público aéreo en Argentina (de Buenos Aires a Montevideo).
- 1927 - Bernard Barrow was born (d. 1993). American actor.
- 1927 - Robert Hossein was born. French film actor and director.
- 1928 - Bo Diddley was born. American singer and musician.
- 1929 - Barbara Nichols was born (d. 1976). American actress.
- 1929 - Rosalind Hurley was born (d. 2004). British physician, barrister, ethicist and writer.
- 1931 - Skeeter Davis was born (d. 2004). American singer.
- 1931 - Tyrone Power Sr dies at 62. Actor (Big Trial, Test of Donald Norton).
- 1933 - O primeiro-ministro da Roménia, Íon Duca, é assassinado por um membro da Guarda de Ferro.
- 1934 - John Norris Bahcall was born (d. 2005). American physicist.
- 1934 - Joseph Bologna was born. American actor.
- 1934 - Joseph P. Hoar was born. U.S. general.
- 1934 - Russ Tamblyn was born. American actor, dancer and singer.
- 1935 - Jack Riley was born. American actor.
- 1935 - Luís Alberto Moniz Bandeira was born. Brazilian historian and political scientist.
- 1935 - Sandy Koufax was born. American baseball player.
- 1936 - Beginning of successful 44 day sit-down strike by the United Auto Workers union at GM plant in Flint, MI.
- 1937 - Gordon Banks was born in Sheffield. British footballer (goal-keeper).
- 1937 - Jim Marshall was born. American football player.
- 1937 - John Hartford was born (d. 2001). American musician.
- 1937 - Noel Paul Stookey was born. American folk singer (Peter, Paul & Mary).
- 1937 - Paul Stookey was born. American singer.
- 1938 - An electronic television system was patented by V.K. Zworykin.
- 1939 - Glenda Adams was born (d. 2007). Australian author.
- 1940 - James Burrows was born. American television director.
- 1941 - Mel Renfro was born. American football player.
- 1941 - El Lissitzky dies (b. 1890). Russian artist and architect.
- 1942 - Fred Ward was born. American actor.
- 1942 - Guy Edwards was born. English racing driver.
- 1942 - Janko Prunk was born. Slovenian historian.
- 1942 - Vladimir Bukovsky was born. Russian author and dissident.
- 1944 - King George II of Greece declares a regency, leaving his throne vacant.
- 1945 - Arnaldo Faria de Sá was born in São Paulo. Brazilian radio personality and politician.
- 1945 - Concetta Tomei was born. American actress.
- 1945 - Lloyd Kaufman was born. American film director and producer.
- 1945 - Vernon Wells was born. Australian actor.
- 1946 - Patti Smith was born. American singer and poet.
- 1947 - Michael Burns was born. American historian and actor.
- 1947 - Han van Meegeren dies (b. 1889). Dutch painter, portraitist and art forgers.
- 1948 - The Cole Porter Broadway musical, Kiss Me, Kate opens opens at the New Century Theatre for the first of 1,077 performances and becomes the first show to win the Best Musical Tony Award.
- 1949 - India recognizes People's Republic of China.
- 1949 - Jim Flaherty was born. Canadian politician.
- 1950 - Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia become Independent states in France Union.
- 1950 - Lewis Shiner was born. American sci-fi/fantasy author.
- 1951 - Doug Allder was born. English football player.
- 1951 - Jocky Wilson was born. Scottish Darts player.
- 1952 - June Anderson was born. American soprano.
- 1953 - Bill Kazmaier was born. American powerlifter.
- 1953 – Daniel Barry was born. American astronaut.
- 1953 - Harald Schmautz was born. German-born journalist.
- 1953 - Meredith Vieira was born. American television journalist.
- 1954 - 1.st use of 24-sec shot clock in pro basketball (Rochester vs Boston).
- 1954 - Archduke Eugen of Austria dies (b. 1863). Austrian field marshal.
- 1955 - Dindo Yogo was born (d. 2000). Congolese musician.
- 1955 - Rex Ingamells dies (b. 1913). Australian poet.
- 1956 - Sheryl Lee Ralph was born. American actress.
- 1956 - Suzy Bogguss was born. American singer.
- 1957 - Matt Lauer was born. American newscaster.
- 1957 - Israeli government of Ben-Gurion, resigns.
- 1958 - Rod Harrington was born. English darts player.
- 1958 - Steven L. Smith was born. American astronaut.
- 1959 - Josée Verner was born. French Canadian politician.
- 1959 - Tracey Ullman was born. English actress and singer.
- 1960 - Kelli Maroney was born. American actress.
- 1961 - Ben Johnson was born. Canadian athlete.
- 1961 - Douglas Coupland was born. Canadian author.
- 1961 - Sean Hannity was born. American talk radio host and conservative political commentator.
- 1962 - Alessandra Mussolini was born. Italian conservative politician and former actress (Ferragosto OK) and model.
- 1962 - Henry Cho was born. Korean-American comedian.
- 1962 – Joshua Clover was born. American poet.
- 1963 - Chandler Burr was born. American author.
- 1963 - Michelle Douglas was born. Canadian human rights activist.
- 1963 - Milan Šrejber was born. Czech tennis player.
- 1964 - Sylvie Moreau was born. French Canadian actress.
- 1965 - Heidi Fleiss was born. American madam.
- 1965 - Zoe Kelli Simon was born. American actress.
- 1965 - Heidi Fleiss was born. American madam.
- 1966 - Bennett Miller was born. American film director.
- 1967 - Carl Ouellet was born. Canadian professional wrestler.
- 1967 – Karen Dunne was born. American track and road cyclist.
- 1968 - Meredith Monroe was born. American actress.
- 1969 - Jack Yablonski was murdered. Reform mine leader.
- 1969 - Dave England was born. American television personality.
- 1970 - Sonny Liston dies (b. 1932). American boxer.
- 1971 - Daniel Sunjata was born. American actor.
- 1971 - Ricardo Lopez Felipe was born. Spanish footballer.
- 1971 - Melba Rae dies (b. 1922). American actress.
- 1972 - Daniel Amokachi was born. Nigerian football player.
- 1972 - Kerry Collins was born. American football player.
- 1972 - Paul Keegan was born. Irish footballer.
- 1972 - Selton Mello was born in Passos, Minas Gerais. Brazilian actor.
- 1972 - Steven Wiig was born. American actor and musician.
- 1973 - Ato Boldon was born. West Indian athlete.
- 1973 - Jason Behr was born. American actor.
- 1973 - Nacho Vidal was born. Spanish porn star.
- 1974 - Beatles are legally disbanded (4 years after suit was brought).
- 1974 - Johanna Sällström was born (d. 2007). Swedish actress.
- 1975 - Constitution of Democratic Republic of Madagascar comes into force.
- 1975 - Scott Chipperfield was born. Australian soccer player.
- 1975 - Tiger Woods was born. American golfer.
- 1976 - The Smothers Brothers play their last show (Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas).
- 1976 - A.J. Pierzynski was born. American baseball player.
- 1976 - Alex A. Quinn was born. American actor.
- 1976 - Meredith_Monroe was born. American actress.
- 1977 - Grant Balfour was born. Australian baseball player.
- 1977 - Kazuyuki Toda was born. Japanese footballer.
- 1977 - Kenyon Martin was born. American basketball player.
- 1977 - Laila Ali was born. American boxer.
- 1977 - Scott Lucas was born. Australian rules footballer.
- 1978 - Devin Brown was born. American basketball player.
- 1978 – Rob Scuderi was born. American ice hockey player.
- 1978 - Tyrese was born. American singer.
- 1978 - Zbigniew Robert Promiński was born. Polish drummer.
- 1979 - Rock group, Emerson, Lake & Palmer break up.
- 1979 - Togo adopts constitution.
- 1979 - Flávio Amado was born. Angolan footballer.
- 1979 - Richard Rodgers dies (b. 1902). American composer.
- 1980 - After 25 years, the longest-running prime-time TV series The Wonderful World of Disney is cancelled by NBC.
- 1980 – DJ Mbenga was born. Belgian basketball player.
- 1980 - Eliza Dushku was born. American actress.
- 1980 - Kenny Kwan was born. Hong-Kong singer.
- 1981 - Ali Al Habsi was born. Omani footballer.
- 1981 - Haley Paige was born (d. 2007). American porn star.
- 1981 - Matt Ulrich was born. American football player.
- 1981 - Michael Rodríguez was born. Costa Rican football player.
- 1981 - Alfie Anido dies (b. 1959). Filipino actor.
- 1982 - Dathan Ritzenhein was born. American runner.
- 1982 - Dawan Landry was born. American football player.
- 1982 - Kristin Kreuk was born. Canadian actress.
- 1983 - A 7.2 earthquake killed 26 people in Afghanistan (14) and Pakistan (12).
- 1984 - LeBron James was born. American basketball player.
- 1984 - Randall Azofeifa was born. Costa Rican footballer.
- 1985 - Pakistan restores constitution.
- 1985 – Bryson Goodwin was born. Rugby League player.
- 1985 - Lars Boom was born. Dutch cyclist.
- 1986 - Era Bell Thompson dies (b. 1905). American journalist.
- 1987 - The Transkei government is overthrown in a bloodless coup led by General Bantubonke Holomisa, commander of the Transkei Defence Force.
- 1987 - Premier Mugabe elected President of Zimbabwe.
- 1987 - Jake Cuenca was born. Filipino actor and commercial model.
- 1987 - Thomaz Bellucci was bor. Brazilian tennis player.
- 1988 - Leon Jackson was born. Scottish singer.
- 1988 - Yuli Daniel dies (b. 1925). Russian writer.
- 1989 - Dmitri Volkov swims world record 50m freestyle (27.15 sec).
- 1989 - Alex Germany-Wald was born. American activist.
- 1989 - Letícia Colin was born. Brazilian actress.
- 1989 - Ryan Sheckler was born. Professional skateboarder.
- 1989 - Lenore Lemmon dies (b. 1923). Wife of George Reeves.
- 1992 - Ling-Ling dies (b. 1969). Panda given to the USA by China.
- 1993 - Giuseppe Occhialini dies (b. 1997). Italian physicist.
- 1993 - Irving "Swifty" Lazar dies (b. 1907). American Hollywood talent agent.
- 1993 - Mack David dies (b. 1912). American lyricist and songwriter.
- 1994 - Dmitri Ivanenko dies (b. 1904). Russian physicist.
- 1995 - Doris Grau dies (b. 1924). American actress.
- 1995 - Ralph Flanagan dies (b. 1914). American band leader.
- 1995 - Heiner Müller dies (b. 1929). German dramatist, poet and theatre director
- 1996 - Jack Nance dies (b. 1943). American actor.
- 1996 - Lew Ayres dies (b. 1908). American actor.
- 1997 - In Spain a judge accused 36 Argentine military and police officers of involvement in torture and the disappearance of 600 Spaniards during the dirty war from 1976-1983. Most of those named served in the ESMA, a torture center used by the military regime.
- 1997 - In Italy Danilo Dolci, advocate of nonviolent social reform, died at age 73. His writings and poetry chronicled Sicily’s beauty and despair. His books include: “Report From Palermo,” “Waste,” and "Sicilian Lives".
- 1997 - Shinichi Hoshi dies (b. 1926). Japanese novelist.
- 1998 - Joaquim Pacífico da Silva dies in Guararema, São Paulo (b. 1909). Brazilian musician, singer and composer.
- 1998 - George Webb dies (b. 1911). English actor.
- 1998 - Sam Muchnick dies (b. 1905). American professional wrestling promoter.
- 1999 - O ex-beatle George Harrison foi esfaqueado no tórax dentro de sua mansão em Londres por Michael Abram, de 33 anos. Foi hospitalizado recebendo alta dias depois.
- 1999 - Fritz Leonhardt dies (b. 1909). German structural engineer.
- 1999 - Sarah Knauss dies (b. 1880). American, once considered the world's oldest living person.
- 2000 - Julius J. Epstein dies (b. 1909). American screenwriter.
- 2001 - Pakistan arrested Hafiz Saeed, leader of Lashkar-e-Tayyaba (Army of the Pure) as India moved more troops to the border.
- 2002 - Eleanor Jack Gibson dies (b. 1910). American psychologist who studied learning processes in children. She is remembered for her “visual cliff” experiment which showed how an infant's depth perception helps prevent injuries and falls.
- 2002 - Mary Brian dies (b. 1906). American actress.
- 2002 - Mary Wesley dies (b. 1912). English novelist.
- 2003 - Anita Mui dies (b. 1963). Hong Kong singer and actress.
- 2003 - David Bale dies (b. 1941). South African-born activist.
- 2003 - John Gregory Dunne dies (b. 1932). American writer.
- 2004 - A fire in the República Cromagnon nightclub in Buenos Aires, Argentina, kills 194.
- 2004 - Artie Shaw dies (b. 1910). American jazz clarinetist, composer, and bandleader.
- 2005 - Tropical Storm Zeta forms in the open Atlantic, tying the record for the latest tropical cyclone ever to form in the North Atlantic basin.
- 2005 – Eddie Barlow dies (b. 1940). South African cricketer.
- 2005 - Gianni Ratto dies (b. 1916). Italian cenographer.
- 2005 - Rona Jaffe dies (b. 1932). American author.
- 2006 - Madrid Barajas International Airport is bombed.
- 2006 - Deposed President of Irak Saddam Hussein (b. 1937), convicted of the executions of 148 Iraqi Shiit, is executed by hanging.
- 2006 - Michel Plasse dies (b. 1948). Canadian ice hockey player.
- 2006 - Terry Peck (b. 1938), who acted as a scout for 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment in the Falklands War, dies.
- 2009 – The last roll of Kodachrome film is developed by Dwayne's Photo, the only remaining Kodachrome processor at the time, concluding the film's 74-year run as a photography icon.
- 2009 – Abdurrahman Wahid dies (b. 1940). 4th President of Indonesia.
- 2009 – Rowland S. Howard dies (b. 1959). Australian guitarist (The Birthday Party).
- R.C. Saints - Pope Felix I (optional memorial), Saint Sabinus, Anysia of Salonika, Anysius, Aphian, Donatus, Egwin of Worcester, Eugene of Milan, Eugenia Ravasco, Exuperantius, Holy Family (2007), Honorius, John Alcober, Liberius of Ravenna, Mansuetus, Marcellus, Margaret Colonna, Matthia dei Nazzarei, Our Lady of Bethlehem, Ralph of Vaucelles, Raynerius of Aquila, Ruggero of Canne, Severus, Venustian.
- Philippines - Rizal Day (celebrated on Monday nearest).
- Freedom Day (Church of Scientology).