Enquanto associado (pouco activo, confesso ) sinto o dever de dar aqui a devida divulgação a tão merecida honra.
Enquanto associado (pouco activo, confesso ) sinto o dever de dar aqui a devida divulgação a tão merecida honra.
I CELEBRATE myself;
And what I assume you shall assume;
For every atom belonging to me, as good belongs to you.
I loafe and invite my Soul;
I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass.
Houses and rooms are full of perfumes—the shelves are crowded with perfumes;
I breathe the fragrance myself, and know it and like it;
The distillation would intoxicate me also, but I shall not let it.
The atmosphere is not a perfume—it has no taste of the distillation—it is odorless;
It is for my mouth forever—I am in love with it;
I will go to the bank by the wood, and become undisguised and naked;
I am mad for it to be in contact with me.
Twenty-eight young men bathe by the shore;
Twenty-eight young men, and all so friendly:
Twenty-eight years of womanly life, and all so lonesome.
She owns the fine house by the rise of the bank;
She hides, handsome and richly drest, aft the blinds of the window.
Which of the young men does she like the best?
Ah, the homeliest of them is beautiful to her.
Where are you off to, lady? for I see you;
You splash in the water there, yet stay stock still in your room.
Dancing and laughing along the beach came the twenty-ninth bather;
The rest did not see her, but she saw them and loved them.
The beards of the young men glisten’d with wet, it ran from their long hair:
Little streams pass’d all over their bodies.
An unseen hand also pass’d over their bodies;
It descended tremblingly from their temples and ribs.
The young men float on their backs—their white bellies bulge to the sun—they do not ask who seizes fast to them;
They do not know who puffs and declines with pendant and bending arch;
They do not think whom they souse with spray.
in Leaves of Grass - 1900.
Walt Whitman (b. May 31, 1819 ; d. March 26, 1892)
O jogo disputou-se em Berna, precisamente no dia 31 de Maio de 1961 e perante 28 mil espectadores e sob a arbitragem do suíço Gottfie Dienst, as equipas apresentaram:
Benfica: Costa Pereira; Mário João e Ângelo, Neto, Germano e Cruz: José Augusto, Santana, José Águas, Coluna e Cavém
Barcelona: Rammallets; Foncho e Garay; Vergés, Gensana e Garcia; Kubala, Suarez, Evaristo, Kocsis e Czibor
Golos: 0-1 Czibor de cabeça aos 20'; 1-1 José Águas aos 30' ; 2-1 aos 31' após lançamento longo de Neto com a bola disputada por Santana e Gensana a ir parar ao fundo da baliza; 3-1 aos 55' por Mário Coluna. Com 3-1 ficou célebre o remate de Kubala ao poste com a bola a percorrer toda a linha de fundo bater no outro poste e ir parar às mãos de Costa Pereira. Aos 75' na sequencia de um canto, Czibor bisava para os espanhóis. Depois foi o sufoco do Barcelona que não chegou para evitar o primeiro triunfo na Taça dos Campeões Europeus.
No ano seguinte o Benfica voltaria a vencer agora frente ao Real Madrid perante 65000 espectadores por 5-3 em Amesterdão, no dia 2 de Maio de 1962.
E em 1963, terceira final consecutiva para defrontar o Milan em Wembley. O Benfica perdeu por 2-1 (dois golos de Altafini) estando a ganhar ao intervalo por 1-0 com um golo de Eusébio. No Milan jogava Trapattoni que teve um duelo de fazer faísca com Coluna. Os encarnados queixaram-se da permissividade do árbitro Ken Aston, de nacionalidade holandesa. ...
Posted by Fernando Silva at quarta-feira, maio 31, 2006
- 1048 - Omar Khayyam was born (d. 1131). Persian poet, astronomer, mathematician and philosopher.
- 1162 - Nascimento do conquistador mongol Gengis Khan.
- 1232 - O papa Gregório IX, através de uma bula, canoniza Santo António de Lisboa.
- 1408 - Ashikaga Yoshimitsu dies (b. 1358). Ashikaga shogun.
- 1469 - King Manuel I of Portugal was born (d. 1521).
- 1535 - Alessandro Allori dies (b. 1607). Italian painter.
- 1582 - Rei Felipe II assina alvará ordenado pagamento de pensão à mãe de Luíz Vaz de Camões
- 1594 - Jacobo Robusti Tintoretto dies. Italian painter.
- 1613 - John George II, Elector of Saxony was born (d. 1680)
- 1640 - Michał Wiśniowiecki, King of Poland was born (d. 1673)
- 1656 - Marin Marais was born. French composer and viol player.
- 1680 - Joachim Neander dies (b. 1650). Clergyman.
- 1727 - Criação do Royal Bank of Scotland.
- 1740 - King Friedrich Wilhem I of Prussia dies (b. 1688)
- 1747 - Andrei Osterman dies (b. 1686). Russian statesman.
- 1750 - Karl August of Hardenberg was born (d. 1822). Statesman and reformer.
- 1753 - Pierre Victurnien Vergniaud was born (d. 1793). French revolutionary.
- 1754 - Andrea Appiani was born (d. 1817). Italian painter.
- 1773 - Ludwig Tieck was born (d. 1853). German poet and writer.
- 1790 - The first U.S. Copyright Law was enacted, protecting books, maps, and other original materials.
- 1790 - Por decisão régia, são criadas em Lisboa 18 escolas para raparigas. São as primeiras escolas femininas em Portugal.
- 1799 - Pierre Lemonnier dies (b. 1715). French astronomer.
- 1801 - Johann Georg Baiter was born (d. 1887). Swiss philologist.
- 1809 - Joseph Haydn died in Vienna (b. 1732). Austrian composer.
- 1809 - Jean Lannes died (b. 1769). French Marshal of Empire.
- 1819 - Walt Whitman was born (d. 26 Mar 1892). American poet ( Leaves of Grass, When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom’d, Passage to India, O Captain! My Captain! )
- 1831 - Samuel Bentham dies (b. 1757). Mechanical engineer.
- 1832 - Evariste Galois dies (b. 1811). Mathematician.
- 1837 - Joseph Grimaldi dies at 57. Greatest clown (king of pantomime).
- 1838 - Henry Sidgwick was born (d. 1900). English philosopher.
- 1842 - "Pour le Mérite" extended
- 1846 - Philip Marheineke dies (b. 1780). German Protestant divine.
- 1847 - Rotterdam-Hague Railway opens
- 1847 - Thomas Chalmers dies (b. 1780). Scottish pastor, social reformer, educator, author, and scientist.
- 1848 - Eugénie de Guérin dies (b. 1805). Writer.
- 1852 - Francisco Pascasio Moreno was born. Argentine scientist, naturalist and explorer.
- 1857 - Pope Pius XI (Ambrogio Damiano Achille Ratti) was born (d. 10 Feb 1939). 259th pope of the Roman Catholic Church [1922-1939].
- 1860 - Walter Sickert was born (d. 1942). English painter.
- 1863 - Francis Younghusband was born (d. 1942). British explorer.
- 1864 - American Civil War: The Battle of Cold Harbor begins.
- 1866 - In the Fenian Invasion of Canada, John O'Neill leads 850 Fenian raiders across the Niagara River at Buffalo, New York/Fort Erie, Ontario, as part of an effort to free Ireland from the English. Canadian militia and British regulars repulse the invaders in over the next three days, at a cost of 9 dead and 38 wounded to the Fenian's 19 dead and about 17 wounded.
- 1872 - Heath Robinson was born (d. 1944). English cartoonist.
- 1874 - Estreia, na Igreja de São Marcos de Milão, a Misa de Requiem que Verdi compôs para a morte do escritor Manzoni.
- 1875 - Eliphas Lévi dies. French writer and magician.
- 1876 - Austin McDowell Patterson was born (d. 1956). Chemist.
- 1878 - Naufraga na costa inglesa o encouraçado alemão Grosser-Kurfurst, causando a morte de 269 tripulantes.
- 1879 - Madison Square Garden opens its doors
- 1880 - The League of American Wheelmen was formed in Newport, RI. It was the first national bicycle society to be organized in the United States.
- 1883 - Lauri Kristian Relander was born (d. 1942). Finnish president .
- 1887 - Saint-John Perse was born (d. 1975). French diplomat and poet. Nobel Prize in Literature 1960.
- 1892 - Michel Kikoine was born (d. 1968). Belarus painter.
- 1892 - Konstantin Georgiyevich Paustovsky was born (d. 1968). Russian writer.
- 1894 - Fred Allen was born (d. 1956). American comedian. He is best remembered for "Allen's Alley" radio program, 1932-49.
- 1894 - Konstantin Stoilov Konstantinov assume (pela 2º vez) o cargo de primeiro-ministro da Bulgária
- 1898 - Dr. Norman Vincent Peale was born (d. 1993). American clergyman who wrote "The Power of Positive Thinking," 1952.
- 1901 - Boer War : Boers kill 174 British during guerrilla raid at Vlakfontein (now called Derby)
- 1908 - Don Ameche [Dominic Felix Amici] was born (d. 6 Dec 1993). American academy award-winning actor: Cocoon ; Trading Places, Corinna Corinna; inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame ;
- 1910 - Creation of the Union of South Africa. Louis Botha assume o cargo de primeiro-ministro da África do Sul
- 1910 - Elizabeth Blackwell dies (b. 1821). First female physician in the United States.
- 1911 - Maurice Allais was born. Franch economist who won in 1988 the Nobel Prize in Economics.
- 1912 - Alfred Deller was born (d. 1979). English countertenor.
- 1913 - The Seventeenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, authorizing direct election of United States Senators, is declared ratified.
- 1921 - Comedian Buster Keaton marries actress Natalie Talmadge.
- 1921 - Alida Valli was born (d. 2006). Italian actress.
- 1922 - Denholm Elliott was born (d. 6 Oct 1992). English actor ( A Room with a View, The Bourne Identity, The Boys from Brazil, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Voyage of the Damned, Trading Places, Scorchers).
- 1923 - Prince Rainier III of Monaco was born (d. 6 Apr 2005). Head of state: Monaco; married American film star, Grace Kelly.
- 1924 - Lauri Ingman assume (pela 2º vez) o cargo de primeiro-ministro da Finlândia.
- 1926 - Portugal: Bernardino Machado, presidente da República Portuguesa, apresenta a sua demissão do cargo, como consequência do golpe militar de 28 de Maio, que instaurara o Estado Novo.
- 1926 - James Kruss was born (d. 1997). Author.
- 1928 - É fundada a Academia Nicaragüense de la Lengua.
- 1928 - Manuel de Oliveira Lima dies at 60. Brazilian historian.
- 1929 - Menahem Golan was born. Producer.
- 1930 - Clint Eastwood was born in San Francisco. American actor, director, producer. The Bridges of Madison County, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- 1931 - Shirley Verrett was born. American soprano.
- 1935 - Um terremoto destrói a cidade de Quetta (Paquistão) e morrem mais de 56 mil pessoas.
- 1938 - Henry Armstrong defeated Barney Ross in New York City to win the welterweight boxing title.
- 1938 - Johnny PayCheck was born (d. 2003). American country music singer.
- 1939 - Terry Waite was born. British humanitarian.
- 1941 - Louis J. Ignarro was born. American pharmacologist who, along with Robert F. Furchgott and Ferid Murad, was co-awarded the 1998 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery that nitric oxide (NO) acts as a signaling molecule in the cardiovascular system, an entirely new mechanism by which blood vessels in the body relax and widen.
- 1943 - Sharon Gless, was born. Emmy Award-winning actress: Cagney & Lacey [1985-1986, 1986-1987]; Revenge of the Stepford Wives, Tales of the Unexpected
- 1945 - Rainer Werner Fassbinder was born (d. 10 Jun 1982). Film director: Chinese Roulette, Querelle, Veronika Voss, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Beware of a Holy Whore; Marriage of Maria Braum;
- 1947 - MayAbd al-Krim, Moroccan nationalist leader, escapes after an 11-year imprisonment on the Island of Reunion.
- 1947 - Mátyás Rákosi assume (pela 2º vez) o cargo de primeiro-ministro da Hungria.
- 1948 - José Vianna da Motta dies. Portuguese pianist.
- 1948 - Syngman Rhee assume a presidência da Coréia do Sul
- 1949 - A crowd of 35,000 people paid tribute to radio personality Mary Margaret McBride at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, (one of the five boroughs that make up New York City). McBride was celebrating her 15th year in radio.
- 1949 - Tom Berenger [Thomas Michael Moore], was born. Actor: One Life to Live, If Tomorrow Comes, Platoon, Sliver, The Big Chill, Eddie and the Cruisers, Gettysburg, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, A Murder of Crows, In the Company of Spies, Turbulence II: Fear of Flying.
- 1950 - Gregory Harrison was born. Actor.
- 1959 - Aurora Cunha was born. Portuguese athlete.
- 1960 - Chris Elliott was born. Comedian.
- 1961 - Benfica wins 6th Champions Europe Cup in Bern beating Barcelona 3-2
- 1961 - Lea Thompson was born. Actress.
- 1961 - Creation of the Republic of South Africa.
- 1961 - Dominican Republic President Trujillo assassinated
- 1962 - Corey Hart was born. Singer/songwriter.
- 1962 - The West Indies Federation dissolves.
- 1962 - Former Gestapo official Adolf Eichmann was hanged in Israel / Executado em Tel Aviv, por crimes contra os judeus, o ex-coronel das SS Adolfo Eichman, que havia sido sequestrado na Argentina por agentes israelitas.
- 1963 - Wesley Willis was born. Musician.
- 1965 - Brooke Shields was born. American model: Ivory Snow baby and actress: The Blue Lagoon, Pretty Baby, Brenda Starr, The Seventh Floor, Backstreet Dreams, Stalking Laura, Suddenly Susan.
- 1966 - Monges budistas atearam fogo sobre seus próprios corpos em Saigão, como forma de protesto contra a política do governo militar do Vietname do Sul.
- 1967 - The King of Jordan and President Abdel Nasser of Egypt sign a joint defence agreement in case of a conflict with Israel.
- 1969 - Stevie Wonder’s My Cherie Amour was released by Tamla Records
- 1970 - Início do Campeonato Mundial de Futebol realizado no México.
- 1970 - An earthquake in Peru left more than 50,000 dead.
- 1972 - Official IRA declares ceasefire : The Official IRA announces a ceasefire, but the Provisional IRA says it will continue fighting until the British leave Northern Ireland.
- 1974 - William DeVaughn, a soul singer, songwriter and guitarist from Washington, DC, received a gold record for his only hit, Be Thankful for What You Got
- 1975 - Constituição da Agencia Espacial Europea (ESA).
- 1976 - Invasão e ocupação de Timor Leste pela Indonésia.
- 1976 - Colin Farrell was born. Actor.
- 1976 - Martha Mitchell died in New York. She was the estranged wife of former Attorney General John N. Mitchell.
- 1977 - The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System is completed.
- 1977 - William Castle dies (b. 1914). American director.
- 1977 - Scott Klopfenstein was born. Rock musician (Reel Big Fish)
- 1981 - Zia Rahman, president of Bangladesh, is assassinated in Chittagong in a coup attempt.
- 1990 - A little summer replacement TV show named Seinfeld debuted
- 1990 - The French Government bans imports of British beef and live cattle because of fears over BSE or "mad cow" disease.
- 1991 - São firmados em Lisboa os acordos para pôr fim a 16 anos de guerra civil em Angola assinados pelos presidentes do MPLA e da UNITA e que acabaram por não ser cumpridos.
- 1994 - Morte do barão Marcel Bich. Criador das canetas Bic.
- 1994 - O croata Kresimir Zubak é proclamado primeiro presidente da recém criada Federação musulmano-croata na Bósnia.
- 1996 - Benjamin Netanyahu claimed victory in Israel's election for prime minister, defeating incumbent Shimon Peres by nine-tenths of one percent.
- 1996 - Paul Peter Piech dies (b. 1920). Artist.
- 2000 - Tito Puente dies (b. 1923). Musician.
- 2000 - Johnnie Taylor dies (b. 1938). Vocalist.
- 2001 - Former French Foreign Minister Roland Dumas is sentenced to six months in prison over the country's biggest political scandal in recent history.
- 2001 - Moderate PLO leader Faisal Husseini died at age 60.
- 2002 - Portugal ratifica o Protocolo de Kyoto.
- 2002 - Tem início o Campeonato do Mundo de Futebol organizado pela Coreia do Sul/ Japão. No primeiro jogo o Senegal vence a França por 1-0.
- 2004 - A foul-up during routine software update at the Royal Bank of Canada leads to a three-day misplacement of 10 million account balances.
- 2004 - Robert Quine dies (b. 1942). Punk rock guitarist.
- Feast day of Mary, Mediatrix of all Graces
- The Godiva procession
Porém os argentinos, sem forçar muito, tiveram ainda três bolas nos ferros da baliza (dois à barra e um ao poste) e obrigaram João Ricardo a um punhado de boas defesas.
Na primeira parte Angola ainda conseguiu dois remates à baliza de Abbondanzieri (que surpreendentemente esteve longe de se mostrar um guarda-redes seguro) e alguma conservação de bola na zona de meio-campo, com Mendonça e Figueiredo activos, mas na segunda parte Angola no ataque foi completamente inofensivo.
Nesta segunda parte a Argentina preferiu maior contenção de bola e dominou o jogo mas a gula pelo ataque diminuiu até à entrada dos suplentes em que veio a capacidade tecnica de Messi totalmente recuperado de lesão.
As inúmeras substituições durante a 2ª. parte tornaram praticamente impossível delinear esquemas tacticos para as equipas, mas ficam como notas as inúmeras dificuldades dos angolanos em criarem jogadas de ataque, o grande números de estrelas argentinas do meio-campo ofensivo e ataque (Messi, Crespo, Saviola, Riquelme, Tevez ... e ainda ficou no banco sem entrar Júlio Cruz). Quem não chegou a jogar foi o portista Lucho.
Nota ainda para, com pouco trabalho, a insegurança de Abbondanzieri com dificuldades a jogar com os pés, e pouco concentrado (quase era surpreendido com um remate de fora da área de Mendonça) e cometeu uma falta por sair com a bola da área defensiva.
Angola: João Ricardo, Mendonça, Kali, Jamba, Macabreu; André, Figueiredo, Edson, Loko; Mateus e Akwa (Jogaram ainda: Mantorras, Zé Calanga, Miloy, Flávio, Titi Buengo e Luís Delgado)
Argentina: Abbondanzieri, Burdisso, Heintze, Ayala e Sorin, Mascherano e Cambiasso, Riqelme, Saviola, Maxi Rodriguez e Crespo (Jogaram ainda: Messi, Gabriel Milito, Scaloni, Pablo Aimar, Carlos Tevez e Cufré)
Golos: Maximiliano Rodrigues (28') e Sorin (36')
Cartões amarelos para Maxi Rodriguez por simular um penalty aos 58' e para Flávio aos 85' por acumulação de faltas.
Que quer o vento?
A cada instante
Passa na porta
Vento que assusta
Nas horas frias
Na noite feia,
Vindo de longe,
Das ermas praias.
Andam de ronda
Bocas dos mortos.
Também um dia,
Estando eu morto,
Na tua porta
Virei no vento
Mas não de inverno,
Nas horas frias
Das noites feias.
Virei no vento
Em tua boca
Cheiro de flores
Que estão lá fora
Na noite quente.
Virei no vento...
[De Cancioneiro do Ausente, 1943]
Ruy Ribeiro Couto (n. em Santos, São Paulo a 12 Mar 1898, m. em Paris a 30 Mai 1963)
- 1010 - Emperor Renzong of China, was born (d. 1063)
- 1159 - Wladislaus II the Exile of Poland dies (b. 1105)
- 1252 - King Ferdinand III of Castile and Leon dies (b. 1198/1199?)
- 1423 - Georg Purbach was born (d. 1461). German mathematician and astronomer.
- 1431 - Joan of Arc dies (burned at the stake by a pro-English tribunal) (b. 1412) . French commander and saint.
- 1527 - The University of Marburg was founded in Germany.
- 1574 - King Charles IX of France dies (b. 1550).
- 1593 - Christopher Marlowe dies (b. 1564). English playwright
- 1623 - John Egerton, 2nd Earl of Bridgewater was born (d. 1686). English politician
- 1640 - Peter Paul Rubens dies (b. 1577). German painter.
- 1662 - Casamento de D. Catarina, filha de D. João IV, com Carlos II de Inglaterra.
- 1718 - Wills Hill, 1st Marquess of Downshire was born (d. 1793). English politician.
- 1719 - Roger Newdigate was born (d. 1806). English politician.
- 1746 - Abade de Faria was born. Portuguese scientist.
- 1770 - François Boucher dies (b. 1703). French painter.
- 1744 - Alexander Pope dies (b. 1688). English poet, and writer.
- 1778 - Voltaire (François Marie Arouet), dies (b. 1694). French philosopher, author.
- 1783 - The first daily newspaper was published in the U.S. by Benjamin Towner called "The Pennsylvania Evening Post"
- 1806 - Andrew Jackson kills a man in a duel after the man had accused Jackson's wife of bigamy.
- 1814 - Michael Bakunin was born (d. 1876). Russian anarchist.
- 1814 - Eugène Charles Catalan was born (d. 1894). Belgian mathematician.
- 1834 - As ordens religiosas masculinas são extintas e os seus bens nacionalizados. A medida é da responsabilidade de D. Pedro, enquanto regente, e de Joaquim António de Aguiar, que passa por isso a ser conhecido por «o Mata-Frades».
- 1846 - Peter Carl Fabergé was born. Russian jeweller.
- 1848 - W.G. Young patented the ice cream freezer.
- 1850 - Nasceu o republicano português, fundador de "O Século", Sebastião de Magalhães Lima.
- 1858 - Siegfried Alkan was born (d. 1941). German composer.
- 1865 - John Catron dies. Associate justice of the United States
- 1871 - The Paris Commune falls.
- 1875 - Palmira Bastos was born. Portuguese actress.
- 1881 - Georg von Küchler was born (d. 1968). German field marshal
- 1882 - Wyndham Halswelle was born. British runner
- 1895 - Maurice Tate was born (d. 1956). Sussex and England all-rounder.
- 1896 - Howard Hawks was born (d. 26 Dec 1977). American film director : Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Monkey Business, Hatari, Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, Sergeant York, A Song is Born, The Thing.
- 1899 - Irving Thalberg was born (d. 1936). American film producer.
- 1902 - Stepin Fetchit was born (d. 1985). American dancer and actor.
- 1907 - Elly Beinhor was born. Pilot .
- 1908 - Hannes (Olof Gösta) Alfvén was born (d. 2 Apr 1995). Swedish astrophysicist, one of the founders of the field of plasma physics (the study of ionized gases) and winner, with Louis Néel of France, of the 1970 Nobel Prize for Physics "for fundamental work in magnetohydrodynamics with fruitful applications in different parts of plasma physics."
- 1908 - Mel Blanc was born (d. 1989). American voice actor.
- 1910 - Inge Meysel was born (d. 2004). German actress.
- 1912 - Julius Axelrod was born. American biochemist. Received the 1970 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine 1970 (with British biophysicist Sir Bernard Katz and Swedish physiologist Ulf von Euler).
- 1912 - Joseph Stein was born. Playwright
- 1912 - The U.S. Marines were sent to Nicaragua to protect American interests.
- 1912 - Hugh Griffith was born (d. 1980). Welsh actor.
- 1912 - Erich Bagge was born. German physicist
- 1918 - Guadalupe "Pita" Amor was born (d. 2000). Mexican poet.
- 1920 - Franklin Schaffner was born (d. 1989). American film director
- 1922 - Hal Clement was born (d. 2003). American science fiction writer.
- 1922 - In Washington, D.C., the Lincoln Memorial is dedicated. Daniel Chester French created the famous sculpture of Abraham Lincoln, titled Seated Lincoln. Lincoln is in meditation, seated in a large armchair. Both French and the Piccirilli brothers completed the sculpture. On this day in 1922 the memorial in which the statue is permanently seated was dedicated, although the cornerstone was laid in 1915.
- 1926 - Christine Jorgensen was born (d. 1989). Transsexual activist.
- 1926 - O primeiro governo saído do golpe militar de 28 de Maio entra em funções. É presidido pelo comandante Mendes Cabeçadas, herói da Revolução de 5 de Outubro de 1910.
- 1927 - Clint Walker was born. Actor.
- 1928 - Agnès Varda was born. French director
- 1936 - Keir Dullea was born. American actor
- 1936 - Glória de Matos was born. Portuguese actress.
- 1939 - Michael J. Pollard was born. American actor
- 1943 - James Chaney was born (d. 1964). American civil rights activist.
- 1947 - Vashti Murphy McKenzie was born. Bishop
- 1951 - Hermann Broch dies (b. 1886). Austrian author.
- 1951 - Stephen Tobolowsky was born. Actor
- 1951 - Zdravko Čolić was born. Bosnian singer
- 1953 - Dooley Wilson American musician, actor.
- 1960 - Boris Pasternak dies (b. 1890). Russian author. Nobel Prize 1958.
- 1961 - Rafael Leónidas Trujillo dies (b. 1891). Dictator of the Dominican Republic .
- 1963 - Ruy Lopes Esteves Ribeiro de Almeida Couto dies in Paris (b. 12 Mar 1898). Brazilian poet.
- 1964 - Leó Szilárd dies (b. 1898). Hungarian-American nuclear physicist.
- 1964 - Wynonna Judd was born. American country music singer
- 1967 - Claude Rains dies (b. 1889). English actor.
- 1968 - Zacarias Moussaoui was born. Terrorist.
- 1969 - Riots on the Caribbean island of Curaçao
- 1971 - Marcel Dupré dies (b. 1886). French composer.
- 1971 - Idina Menzel was born. American actress and singer.
- 1972 - Manny Ramirez was born. Dominican baseball player
- 1974 - Cee-Lo was born. American musician
- 1975 - Steve Prefontaine dies (b. 1951). American distance runner.
- 1979 - Fabian Ernst was born. International German footballer, 24 games for National team 1 goal. He wears the colours of Schalke 04
- 1980 - Steven Gerrard was born. English footballer.
- 1981 - Portugal : No Porto, no teatro Carlos Alberto, estreia o bailado Romeu e Julieta, pela primeira vez representado por portugueses, pertencentes à Companhia Nacional de Bailado.
- 1981 - Devendra Banhart was born. American singer and songwriter
- 1982 - Spain becomes the 16th member of NATO and the first nation to enter the alliance since West Germany's admission in 1955.
- 1993 - Sun Ra dies (b. 1914). American musician.
- 1994 - Juan Carlos Onetti dies. Writer.
- 2003 - Mickie Most dies (b. 1938). English musician
- 2003 - Hans Peter Willberg, dies. Literature critic
- 2004 - Buddy Rice wins a rain-shortened 88th Indianapolis 500
Ed. nº. 9
- Mais vale astúcia que força
- Mais vale a língua do mudo que do mentiroso
- Mais vale bom vagar que má pressa
- Mais vale burro vivo que sábio morto
- Mais vale «bem fiz eu» do que «se eu soubera»
- Mais vale o exemplo do que a doutrina
- Mais vale penhor na arca do que fiador na praça
- Mais vale vergonha na cara que mágua no coração
in Rifoneiro Português de Pedro Chaves, Editorial Domingos Barreira
Ler edições anteriores:
Rifoneiro português - nº. 1
Rifoneiro português - nº. 2
Rifoneiro português - nº. 3
Rifoneiro português - nº. 4
Rifoneiro português - nº. 5
Rifoneiro português - nº. 6
Rifoneiro português - nº. 7
Rifoneiro português - nº. 8
- 1259 - King Christopher I of Denmark dies (b. 1219)
- 1379 - King Henry II of Castile dies (b. 1334)
- 1414 - Council of Constance.
- 1453 - Constantinopla é conquistada pelos Turcos, que lhe dão o nome de Istambul. É o fim do Império Bizantino. Marca, na cronologia histórica, a passagem da Idade Média para a Idade Moderna
- 1500 - Bartolomeu Dias dies. Portuguese explorer.
- 1594 - Gottfried Heinrich Graf zu Pappenheim, was born (d. 1632). Bavarian general.
- 1630 - King Charles II of England was born (d. 1685)
- 1660 - A monarquia inglesa é restaurada na pessoa de Carlos II, representante da dinastia Stuart. O rei casará mais tarde com a infanta portuguesa D. Catarina de Bragança, filha de D. João IV.
- 1716 - Louis-Jean-Marie Daubenton was born (d. 1 Jan 1800). French naturalist who was a prolific pioneer in the fields of comparative anatomy and paleontology
- 1736 - Patrick Henry was born (d. 1799). American patriot.
- 1765 - O czar Pedro II assume o trono da Rússia.
- 1767 - Philippe Lebon was born (d. 2 Dec 1804). French engineer and chemist, inventor of illuminating gas
- 1781 - Henri Braconnot was born (d. 13 Jan 1855). French chemist known for isolating glucose, a simple sugar, directly from such plant material as sawdust, linen or bark by boiling them with acid (1819).
- 1791 - Revolução francesa: fala-se pela primeira vez no lema Liberdade, Igualdade, Fraternidade, na Sociedade de Amigos dos Direitos Humanos.
- 1794 - Johann Heinrich von Mädler was born (d. 14 Mar 1874). German astronomer who (with Wilhelm Beer) published the most complete map of the Moon of the time, Mappa Selenographica, 4 vol. (1834-36).
- 1794 - Antoine A. B. Bussy was borb (d. 1 Feb 1882). French chemist.
- 1814 - Joséphine de Beauharnais dies (b. 1763). Empress of France.
- 1829 - Sir Humphry Davy dies (b. 17 Dec 1778). English chemist who discovered several chemical elements and compounds, invented the miner's safety lamp, and epitomized the scientific method
- 1848 - Criação da Carbonaria Lusitânia, sociedade secreta, fundada em Coimbra, defensora do regime republicano.
- 1855 - Sir David Bruce was born (d. 27 Nov 1931). English pathologist and microbiologist who investigated the Malta-fever and trypanosomes, identifying the cause of sleeping sickness.
- 1857 - Charles Richard Van Hise was born (d. 19 Nov 1918). American geologist who conducted basic geological studies of the Precambrian
- 1860 - Isaac Albéniz was born (d. 1909). Spanish composer.
- 1866 - Winfield Scott dies (b. 1786). American general and presidential candidate.
- 1866 - Henry Darwin Rogers dies (b. 1 Aug 1808). American structural geologist who contributed much to the theory of mountain building through his studies of the geology of Pennsylvania.
- 1874 - G. K. Chesterton was born (d. 1936). English novelist.
- 1880 - Oswald Spengler was born (d. 1936). German philosopher
- 1883 - Thomas A. Edison received a series of patent for some of his electrical inventions
- 1887 - Louis Leon Thurstone was born (d. 29 Sep 1955). American psychologist who improved psychometrics, the measurement of mental functions, and developed statistical techniques for multiple-factor analysis of performance on psychological tests
- 1892 - Bahá'u'lláh dies (b. 1817). Founder of the Bahá'í Faith.
- 1893 - Max Brand was born (d. 1944). American author, war correspondent
- 1894 - Beatrice Lillie was born (d. 1989). Canadian actress.
- 1894 - Josef von Sternberg was born (d. 1969). Austrian-American writer, director
- 1896 - Gabriel-Auguste Daubrée dies (b. 25 June 1814). French geochemist and a pioneer in the application of experimental methods to the study of diverse geologic phenomena.
- 1897 - Erich Wolfgang Korngold was born (d. 1957). Austrian composer.
- 1902 - João Norte was born. Portuguese actor.
- 1903 - Bob Hope was born (d. 2003). British-born American comedian and actor.
- 1906 - T.H. White was born (d. 1964). British author.
- 1906 - Salomon Arvid Achates Lindman assume o cargo de primeiro-ministro da Suécia
- 1908 - William Arnold Anthony dies (b. 17 Nov 1835). American physicist and pioneer in the teaching of electrical engineering in the United States
- 1910 - Mily Balakirev dies (b. 1837). Russian composer.
- 1911 - 1st running of Indianapolis 500
- 1911 - Teófilo Braga é proclamado presidente da República, em substituição de Manuel de Arriaga, que se tinha demitido do cargo. Completará o mandato deste até 5 de Outubro de 1815.
- 1912 - Chien-Shiung Wu was born (d. 16 Feb 1997). Chinese-born American physicist who provided the first experimental proof (1956) that parity is not conserved in weak subatomic interactions of nuclear beta decay
- 1914 - Sherpa Tenzing Norgay was born (d. 1986)
- 1914 - Eduard Pestel was born (d. 1988). Scientist and engineer.
- 1915 - Karl Münchinger was born (d. 190). German conductor.
- 1915 - William S. Gilbert dies (b. 1836). English dramatist.
- 1918 - Vitorino de Magalhães Godinho was born. Portuguese historian.
- 1918 - Santa-Rita Pintor dies. Portuguese painter.
- 1922 - Ecuador becomes independent
- 1922 - António Campos was born. Portuguese film director.
- 1922 - Iannis Xenakis was born in Braila Romania (d. 2001). Composer.
- 1925 - Eduardo Brasão dies. Portuguese theatre entrepreneur and actor.
- 1929 - Peter Higgs was born. English theoretical physicist
- 1932 - Paul R. Ehrlich was born. American biologist and educator who in 1990 shared Sweden's Crafoord Prize (established in 1980 and awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, to support those areas of science not covered by the Nobel Prizes) with biologist E.O. Wilson.
- 1933 - John Mayall was born. Musician
- 1933 - Helmuth Rilling was born. German conductor
- 1933 - Edward Whittemore was born. Writer
- 1935 - Josef Suk ies (b. 1874). Czech composer and violinist.
- 1939 - Al Unser was born. Race car driver
- 1942 - Kevin Conway was born. Actor
- 1942 - John Barrymore dies (b. 1882). Actor.
- 1944 - Helmut Berger was born. Actor
- 1946 - Fernando Buesa was born (d. 2000). Basque politician.
- 1948 - Anthony Geary was born. Actor
- 1948 - Dame May Whitty dies (b. 1865). Actress.
- 1951 - Fanny Brice dies (b. 1891). American singer, comedienne, and actress.
- 1953 - Man Mountain Dean dies (b. 1891). Professional wrestler.
- 1953 - Edmund Hillary e Narkey Tensing escalam, pela primeira vez, o monte Everest (tecto do Mundo com 8848 m de altitude), nos Himalaias.
- 1955 - John Hinckley Jr. was born. Assassin (attempted)
- 1956 - LaToya Jackson was born. Musician
- 1957 - Jeb Hensarling was born. American politician
- 1957 - Jean-Christophe Yoccoz was born. French mathematician who was awarded the Fields Medal in 1994 for his work in dynamical systems. Such studies began with Poincaré about the turn of the 20th century, who considered the stability of the solar system.
- 1958 - Annette Bening was born. Actress
- 1958 - Juan Ramón Jiménez dies (b. 1881). Spanish poet (Nobel 1956).
- 1958 - Real Madrid wins 3rd Europe Champions Cup in Brussels
- 1959 - Adrian Paul was born. Actor
- 1959 - Rupert Everett was born. Actor
- 1959 - Charles de Gaulle forms French government
- 1961 - Melissa Etheridge was born. U.S. singer, songwriter, guitarist (Never Enough) .
- 1961 - David Palmer was born. Heavy metal drummer (ABC, AC/DC)
- 1961 - Arnold Gesell dies (b. 21 June 1880). American psychologist and pediatrician who pioneered the use of motion-picture cameras (1926) to study the physical and mental development of normal infants and children
- 1963 - Lisa Whelchel was born. Actress.
- 1963 - Debora Bloch was born. Brazilian actress.
- 1965 - Emilio Sanchez was born in Madrid Spain, Tennis player (1988 Olympic bronze)
- 1967 - Pope Paul VI names 27 new cardinals, including Karol Wojtyla, archbishop of Krakow, who later became Pope John Paul II
- 1967 - Noel Gallagher was born. Musician
- 1968 - Manchester United wins 13rd Europe Champions Cup in London beating Benfica in extra-time 4-1 (after 1-1 at 90' minutes) .
- 1969 - Estoura em Córdoba (Argentina) um movimento de trabalhadores e estudantes, conhecido como o Cordobazo, , que causou a morte de 14 pessoas.
- 1970 - É sequestrado e depois assassinado o ex-presidente argentino Pedro Eugenio Aramburu, por um grupo denominado os Montoneros.
- 1975 - Melanie Brown was born. Musician, actress .
- 1975 - Danton Mello was born. Brazilian actor
- 1977 - Janet Guthrie becomes the first woman to qualify for the Indianapolis 500.
- 1979 - Mary Pickford dies (b. 1892). Actress and studio founder.
- 1980 - Morreu o cantor português Max [Maximiano de Sousa] (nasceu no Funchal em 1918) .Foi uma das mais populares vedetas da rádio, do teatro e da televisão portuguesa, desde os anos quarenta até à sua morte em 1980. Quem não se lembra de “Noites da Madeira”, “Bailinho da Madeira” ou “A Mula da Cooperativa”.
- 1982 - Romy Schneider dies (cardiac arrest) (b. 1938) . Actress
- 1985 - Juventus wins 30th Europe Champions Cup in Brussels
- 1990 - Boris Yeltsin is elected president of the Russian republic
- 1991 - Crevena Zvezda wins 36th Europe Champions Cup .
- 1994 - Erich Honecker dies (b. 1912). Leader of East Germany .
- 1994 - Hungary's Socialist Party wins parliamentary election
- 1996 - Jeremy Sinden dies at 45. Actor (Chariots of Fire, Ascendancy, Harem).
- 1996 - Benjamín Netanyahu, líder do partido conservador Likud, é eleito primeiro-ministro de Israel.
- 1997 - Jeff Buckley dies (b. 1966). Musician
- 1998 - Barry M. Goldwater dies (b. 1909). American politician, Arizona Senator.
- 1999 - Olusegun Obasanjo assume a presidência da Nigéria tornando-se o primeiro civil a ocupar o cargo após 15 anos de regimes militares.
- 2000 - Alberto Fujimori se declara presidente eleito do Peru antes da data oficial, e seu opositor, Alejandro Toledo convoca uma marcha pacífica para anular as eleições.
- 2002 - O suíço Joseph Blatter é reeleito presidente da FIFA
- 2004 - O Paris Saint-Germain vence por 1-0 o Chateauroux e conquista a Taça de França em Futebol.
- 2005 - O Vitória de Setúbal ganha pela 3ª. vez na sua história a Taça de Portugal ao derrotar o Benfica na final no Jamor, por 2-1.
- 29 Maio - Dia Internacional das Forças de Manutenção da Paz das Nações Unidas
- Bahá'í Faith: Ascension of Bahá'u'llah